Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
John G Smith

deamidated gliadin antibodies 31

Rate this topic

I just had my second blood work done and my deamidated gliadin antibodies have 34 and 31 while the other numbers looked normal.  Please take a look at the attached picture.

My brother was diagnosed with celiac and I have nephews and nieces with the disease.

My gastro doc does not think I have celiac because my only symptoms are fatigue and my other results on the celiac panel are normal.

I just received iron because my iron level was very low. I just had a colonoscopy and did not have any polyps. I don't need to have that done for another 10 years. The oncologist that gave me the iron said that my iron was very low. He said, if he didn't know my colonoscopy was fine, that he would think I had colon cancer based on my paperwork.

I eat a plant based diet and I eat a ton of dark green leafy veggies for iron.

I did have an endoscopy and the doc said the villi looked a little flat but the biopsies were not definitive.

I think everything is pointing to celiac.  I don't want to stop eating gluten if I don't have to. I could have another problem that could be detrimental to my health. 

My genetic report also said I'm at risk for celiac. 

increased risk for celiac disease increased resistance to bacterial infections

My concern is, if I don't have celiac, what could I have?

Has anyone seen numbers like this and it was determined that they had celiac?

Thanks for any info.

Thx.

John

labcorp-cut.jpg

37 minutes ago, John G Smith said:

I just had my second blood work done and my deamidated gliadin antibodies have 34 and 31 while the other numbers looked normal.  Please take a look at the attached picture.

My brother was diagnosed with celiac and I have nephews and nieces with the disease.

My gastro doc does not think I have celiac because my only symptoms are fatigue and my other results on the celiac panel are normal.

I just received iron because my iron level was very low. I just had a colonoscopy and did not have any polyps. I don't need to have that done for another 10 years. The oncologist that gave me the iron said that my iron was very low. He said, if he didn't know my colonoscopy was fine, that he would think I had colon cancer based on my paperwork.

I eat a plant based diet and I eat a ton of dark green leafy veggies for iron.

I did have an endoscopy and the doc said the villi looked a little flat but the biopsies were not definitive.

I think everything is pointing to celiac.  I don't want to stop eating gluten if I don't have to. I could have another problem that could be detrimental to my health. 

My genetic report also said I'm at risk for celiac. 

increased risk for celiac disease increased resistance to bacterial infections

My concern is, if I don't have celiac, what could I have?

Has anyone seen numbers like this and it was determined that they had celiac?

Thanks for any info.

Thx.

John

labcorp-cut.jpg

Yes!!!!!!  Me!

Run, don't walk, to another GI who is celiac savvy!!!  

Like you I tested (and still continue to test) the VERY SAME WAY.  Only my DGP IgA is elevated.  All other tests (TTG and EMA IgG and IgA versions) are negative.  There is a reason there is a celiac panel.  The most common and preferred TTG (very good test and due to cost restraints this one is the best to use), catches most but not all celiacs (like you and me).  Like so many things, insurance can drive care!  It is all about the money in so many cases.

Enough of my rant.  Thankfully, your doctor did run a complete panel.  But did he do a good job of obtaining enough intestinal biopsies and at the right locations?  The small intestine is a long tube, but when stretched out it is larger than a tennis court (surface area).  Easy to miss damage locations.  

Here is another item we share.  I was anemic when diagnosed.  No GI issues.  I was shocked since I already have been living with my gluten free hubby.  What are the odds?  

Your result and mine are not common.  I would strongly suggest that you get another opinion and obtain and keep all your medical records, including lab results (and share with another GI).  A positive genetic test, strong family history, elevated celiac antibodies, and a weak biopsy, surely sounds like celiac disease to me, but I am not wearing a white coat.  Get that other opinion!  Keep eating gluten until then.  

Why bother going gluten free?  You don't want to?  Sounds daunting?  Well, my endoscopy revealed a Marsh Stage IIIB.  I had to believe the blood test and the biopsies despite having just low ferritin levels.  (I went in for a colonoscopy for a cancer screening because I am over 50 and my GI suggested celiac testing when he reviewed  my chart).  Guess what?  Ferritin levels increased within months.  No more fatigue.  Bad news?  Fractured two vertabrae just months after my celiac disease diagnosis due to osteoporosis thanks to undiagnosed celiac disease.  You will find that many forum members had other issues resolve that they thought were unrelated to celiac disease.

I wish you well!  

1 hour ago, John G Smith said:

the villi looked a little flat

And what else would have caused that, or did he say??? Please take cyclinglady's advice!

Thank you for the replies and detailed information. I'm just happy to read that someone has similar numbers on their blood work.

I am going to look for a doc that specializes in celiac that will take my healthcare. I'm going to probably need a referral from my regular doc. 

Hopefully there won't be a problem since I've already have an endoscopy. 

I just hope a can get a definitive diagnosis. 

Thanks again for the replies.

John