This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I cant stop eating gluten

Ellie Davies

Ellie Davies Newbie

Hi, I'm 15 and I was diagnosed with celiac when I was 13. For the first year and a half, I was very good at staying 100% gluten-free other than the occasional slip up with something I didn't know had gluten in it. Recently, however, I have begun to get worse about staying gluten-free. Although I never eat anything huge, sometimes if my friends have cookies or something I will have a bite. Also since my brothers aren't gluten-free there are often a lot of glutenous products around the house that sometimes I'll nibble at. I know I'm not supposed to but because I have never had an awful reaction to it I never feel like that big of a deal. I KNOW its really bad and can give me all sorts of other diseases but when I go to eat it I never think about that stuff. Please help! I really need to stop but I don't know what to do!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
1 minute ago, Ellie Davies said:

Hi, I'm 15 and I was diagnosed with celiac when I was 13. For the first year and a half, I was very good at staying 100% gluten-free other than the occasional slip up with something I didn't know had gluten in it. Recently, however, I have begun to get worse about staying gluten-free. Although I never eat anything huge, sometimes if my friends have cookies or something I will have a bite. Also since my brothers aren't gluten-free there are often a lot of glutenous products around the house that sometimes I'll nibble at. I know I'm not supposed to but because I have never had an awful reaction to it I never feel like that big of a deal. I KNOW its really bad and can give me all sorts of other diseases but when I go to eat it I never think about that stuff. Please help! I really need to stop but I don't know what to do!

Do your parents know?  I think you need to talk with them about getting some counseling for you.  Self-harming behavior is a serious medical/mental health issue.

Ellie Davies Newbie
13 minutes ago, kareng said:

Do your parents know?  I think you need to talk with them about getting some counseling for you.  Self-harming behavior is a serious medical/mental health issue.

no, my parent doesn't know. And it's not really a self-harming situation, I'm not doing it because I know it hurts me I'm eating it because I want the glutenous food. It's more of a self-control issue. 

kareng Grand Master
Just now, Ellie Davies said:

no, my parent doesn't know. And it's not really a self-harming situation, I'm not doing it because I know it hurts me I'm eating it because I want the glutenous food. It's more of a self-control issue. 

Tell your parents and ask for help.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Keep gluten-free alternatives for treats. They make gluten free everything now days. Enjoy Life has tons of prepackaged gluten-free cookies, udi's, and Ians make pretty much everything else you buy like cheese sticks, chicken nuggets etc in gluten-free versions. heck even some companies make a gluten free version of hot pockets. I composed a decent list, and even where to get stuff or how to get your local grocery store to stock it.

Having a gluten-free alternative that "Kicks" that craving is essential for self control issues. And it is quite self harming that little nibble....will keep doing damage to your insides for weeks. Your antibodies spike that long and take that long to go down. So your doing more damage then your think and this stacks over time. Your lucky you can eat many foods. Most of us do not learn about this disease til much later in life....we have what you would call collateral damage lol. I developed multiple intolerance issues, allergies, and even other disease.  Think about this, I can not eat carbs, no grain, no sugar, no fruit, I can not eat dairy, I am allergic to anything with corn in it, no peanuts. I also lost the ability to digest meats........yeah I eat nuts, seeds, leafy greens, and egg whites. Not my choice either, wish I had known earlier. 

'https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/119661-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2017/

HaleyMoon Rookie
On 10/23/2017 at 5:18 PM, Ellie Davies said:

I'm a few years older than you. I have a family member who also eats gluten she's had celaic disease longer than I've been alive. She likes to tell me "oh a bit won't hurt" and I eat gluten here and there" she tells me she gets stomach aches but she ignores them.

i stay away from gluten because last time I ate gluten I ended up in the hospital.

Tell your parents I agree with the other comments don't eat gluten you can get cancer it can cause other problems too. You may not have a reaction now but it's only a matter of time trust me you do not want to throwing up over and over again and have your stomach hurt and all kinds of symptoms. Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean it isn't doing any damage.

• 2 months later...
Aisling Eldridge Rookie

Honestly I know where you are i have been though a phase  where I didnt really care about it.

what you need to do is think look if I do this I will get ill and this disease can trigger a load of things to happen and it will be painful. And if I carry on doing this to myself eventually I could get cancer and my heart could even stop beating.

thats what you need to tell yourself because trust me you will definitely benefit from not having extra health problems on top of Celiac as it’s hard enough on its own

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seerwatch77 Apprentice

I know how you feel. I have 3 roommates that are not gluten free and like to bake.  We don't share food, so I can't eat their gluteny food unless they offer it to me, which has really helped.

You could try keeping snacks with you so you don't feel as tempted to have some cookie when your friends are. For helping you stay on the diet at home, maybe talk to your parents about your willpower difficulties and see if you can have fewer gluteny products that will tempt you in the house or find gluten free substitutes that you like just as much. For cookies, I've liked glutino's lemon wafers since before I went gluten free.

• 2 weeks later...
Isabel Z Rookie

I have two suggestions. First try switching to mostly natural gluten free foods. It makes the diet much easier. Second, i know you said you know the consequences, but really think deeply. in some ways, gluten is poison to your intestines. it literally eats away at it! so next time you think about eating gluten, think what you are really putting your body.

Archived