1 1
ljgs

celiac and pregnant?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, all. I'm a professional writer (and mother of a young adult with celiac) who is working on a magazine story about the special considerations of celiac disease in pregnancy. Would anyone on this board be willing to be interviewed about their experience? I'd love to know what advice your doctor and/or nutritionist gave you, what you ate, if you supplemented your diet, and anything else you'd like to share. Feel free to private message me. And I do have permission from the admin to post this here. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:


Admin has approved this request.   She is legit.  so help her out if you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 1:45 PM, ljgs said:

Hi, all. I'm a professional writer (and mother of a young adult with celiac) who is working on a magazine story about the special considerations of celiac disease in pregnancy. Would anyone on this board be willing to be interviewed about their experience? I'd love to know what advice your doctor and/or nutritionist gave you, what you ate, if you supplemented your diet, and anything else you'd like to share. Feel free to private message me. And I do have permission from the admin to post this here. Thanks!

ljgs,

This is an interesting topic you have chosen to write about I hope you are able add to our understanding of this important topic.

Stress has been shown to contribute/occur before a celaic diagnosis.

here is the celiac.com article about this issue.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/23506/1/Stress-Common-Before-Celiac-Diagnosis/Page1.html

Pregnancy was considered a "negative event" in about 1 in 5 of those with pregnancies.

Jane Anderson on the verywell site has a very good researched article about this summarizing the best study I have seen on this topic about "reproductive life disorders in italian celiac women"

here is the link

https://www.verywell.com/can-pregnancy-trigger-celiac-disease-562302

I will quote from a notable section of the article. 

"First Comes Baby, Then Comes Symptoms

Most women are diagnosed with celiac disease after at least one pregnancy — in fact, a comprehensive Italian study published in 2010 on the reproductive effects of celiac found that 85.7% of women received their celiac diagnosis following their first pregnancy.

But that statistic doesn't necessarily mean anything. Many women have their first baby in their 20s or early 30s, and celiac disease diagnosis tends to occur a little later in life — in your late 30s, 40s or even 50s and beyond. Delays in diagnosis (even in Italy, which tends to be more celiac-aware than some other countries) could mean the women in the study actually had celiac long before they learned they did.

There's some evidence for this. Half of the celiac women in the study said they had experienced menstrual cycle disorders potentially linked to celiac disease before they experienced any other symptoms. And, women who eventually were diagnosed with celiac disease were twice as likely as other women to experience pregnancy complications, which also have been linked to celiac disease.

Both of these issues could indicate the women potentially were suffering from early, undiagnosed celiac disease at the time of their first pregnancies, but they and their doctors didn't recognize the symptoms."

Your writing instincts might be on to something.

This research seems  to indicate that indeed pregnancy could trigger a subsequent celiac diagnosis.

quoting again for emphasis.

"Most women are diagnosed with celiac disease after at least one pregnancy — in fact, a comprehensive Italian study published in 2010 on the reproductive effects of celiac found that 85.7% of women received their celiac diagnosis following their first pregnancy."

They (the researchers) think this could mean "could indicate the women potentially were suffering from early, undiagnosed celiac disease at the time of their first pregnancies, but they and their doctors didn't recognize the symptoms" which is pretty par for the course when diagnosing celiac disease.

Even with the many advances in diagnosing celiac today it regualarly missed for IBS or NCGS instead.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/24058/1/Large-Number-of-Irritable-Bowel-Syndrome-Patients-Sensitive-to-Gluten/Page1.html

It seems in most cases the IBS previously diagnosed or NCGS instead progresses to a full blown Celiac diagnosis after the pregnancy.

If only doctor's knew of this association between pregnancy and subsequent celiac disease then maybe improved celiac diagnosis would result in better care for the mother.

Much like people who have gestational diabetes are more prone to develop diabetes themselves.  If pregnancy is considered a risk factor for celiac's then the doctor's could be on the look out for it and catch it sooner.

Instead of the customary 8 to 10 years it often take to diagnosis many patients still today.

I hope your magazine article end's up educating people of this new developing connection between a future celiac diagnosis and pregnancy as "a negative event" that can lead to a celiac diagnosis.

Also you said you were a mother of a "young adult with celiac's" don't forget to have yourself checked for Celiac disease yourself.  It does run in families.

I hope this is helpful as always.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

posterboy by the grace of God,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Posterboy said:

ljgs,

This is an interesting topic you have chosen to write about I hope you are able add to our understanding of this important topic.

Stress has been shown to contribute/occur before a celaic diagnosis.

here is the celiac.com article about this issue.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/23506/1/Stress-Common-Before-Celiac-Diagnosis/Page1.html

Pregnancy was considered a "negative event" in about 1 in 5 of those with pregnancies.

Jane Anderson on the verywell site has a very good researched article about this summarizing the best study I have seen on this topic about "reproductive life disorders in italian celiac women"

here is the link

https://www.verywell.com/can-pregnancy-trigger-celiac-disease-562302

I will quote from a notable section of the article. 

"First Comes Baby, Then Comes Symptoms

Most women are diagnosed with celiac disease after at least one pregnancy — in fact, a comprehensive Italian study published in 2010 on the reproductive effects of celiac found that 85.7% of women received their celiac diagnosis following their first pregnancy.

But that statistic doesn't necessarily mean anything. Many women have their first baby in their 20s or early 30s, and celiac disease diagnosis tends to occur a little later in life — in your late 30s, 40s or even 50s and beyond. Delays in diagnosis (even in Italy, which tends to be more celiac-aware than some other countries) could mean the women in the study actually had celiac long before they learned they did.

There's some evidence for this. Half of the celiac women in the study said they had experienced menstrual cycle disorders potentially linked to celiac disease before they experienced any other symptoms. And, women who eventually were diagnosed with celiac disease were twice as likely as other women to experience pregnancy complications, which also have been linked to celiac disease.

Both of these issues could indicate the women potentially were suffering from early, undiagnosed celiac disease at the time of their first pregnancies, but they and their doctors didn't recognize the symptoms."

Your writing instincts might be on to something.

This research seems  to indicate that indeed pregnancy could trigger a subsequent celiac diagnosis.

quoting again for emphasis.

"Most women are diagnosed with celiac disease after at least one pregnancy — in fact, a comprehensive Italian study published in 2010 on the reproductive effects of celiac found that 85.7% of women received their celiac diagnosis following their first pregnancy."

They (the researchers) think this could mean "could indicate the women potentially were suffering from early, undiagnosed celiac disease at the time of their first pregnancies, but they and their doctors didn't recognize the symptoms" which is pretty par for the course when diagnosing celiac disease.

Even with the many advances in diagnosing celiac today it regualarly missed for IBS or NCGS instead.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/24058/1/Large-Number-of-Irritable-Bowel-Syndrome-Patients-Sensitive-to-Gluten/Page1.html

It seems in most cases the IBS previously diagnosed or NCGS instead progresses to a full blown Celiac diagnosis after the pregnancy.

If only doctor's knew of this association between pregnancy and subsequent celiac disease then maybe improved celiac diagnosis would result in better care for the mother.

Much like people who have gestational diabetes are more prone to develop diabetes themselves.  If pregnancy is considered a risk factor for celiac's then the doctor's could be on the look out for it and catch it sooner.

Instead of the customary 8 to 10 years it often take to diagnosis many patients still today.

I hope your magazine article end's up educating people of this new developing connection between a future celiac diagnosis and pregnancy as "a negative event" that can lead to a celiac diagnosis.

Also you said you were a mother of a "young adult with celiac's" don't forget to have yourself checked for Celiac disease yourself.  It does run in families.

I hope this is helpful as always.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

posterboy by the grace of God,

 

I am sure she has done lots of research.  Now she wants actual experience from women.  

I don't think you have been pregnant?  🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kareng said:

I am sure she has done lots of research.  Now she wants actual experience from women.  

I don't think you have been pregnant?  🙄

kareng,

You are right.  I haven't been pregnant but i thought the research might be beneficial to a professional researcher (if she didn't know it already) that there was specific research about this very topic.

often I have wished I knew about things sooner than I found out about it from my doctor.

and the research indicated the doctor's (often)  were not aware of this possible connection/risk factor.

And if the doctor's are not aware of it probably most patient's aren't either.  And might explain the silence on the "advice received" from this thread because most haven't been informed of this possible connection especially by/in a 2nd pregnancy.

I know I wasn't.

I was just trying to be helpful.  I do know heartburn is common in a pregnancy because three of my friends wife's are pregnant right now and their heartburn is rampant.

I wouldn't want them to not be aware of this possible connection though I don't think they would listen unless it came from a doctor.

posterboy,

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


6 minutes ago, Posterboy said:

kareng,

You are right.  I haven't been pregnant but i thought the research might be beneficial to a professional researcher (if she didn't know it already) that there was specific research about this very topic.

often I have wished I knew about things sooner than I found out about it from my doctor.

and the research indicated the doctor's (often)  were not aware of this possible connection/risk factor.

And if the doctor's are not aware of it probably most patient's aren't either.  And might explain the silence on the "advice received" from this thread because most haven't been informed of this possible connection especially by/in a 2nd pregnancy.

I know I wasn't.

I was just trying to be helpful.  I do know heartburn is common in a pregnancy because three of my friends wife's are pregnant right now and their heartburn is rampant.

I wouldn't want them to not be aware of this possible connection though I don't think they would listen unless it came from a doctor.

posterboy,

 

 

 

I am going to be blunt - when guys comment on these topics that ask about pregnancy experiences or menstrual periods or menopause - ii find it pretty creepy and insulting. Unless you are an OB/ GYN.... but even then,we are talking about experiences....

Edited by kareng
Edited to say that that is my opinion as a woman and a mother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And heartburn in pregnancy  is no secret.  It's a well know problem that happens to most pregnant women at some point.   Your friends' wives know why they have heartburn and some random guy explaining it to them is not going to be well received.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not diagnosed (nor did I have any symptoms) until my second pregnancy.  At about 4 months, I developed GI symptoms, insomnia, etc.  I just attributed it to being pregnant.  The symptoms continued and new ones developed.  Over 5 years, I saw doctors for various problems (neurologist for dizzy spells and numbness; cardiologist for heart palpitations, etc.). I developed anxiety, but I thought it was because I felt very ill and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. I was on medication 2x a day for acid reflux. My hair was falling out.   It wasn't until my son was diagnosed that I was even tested .  Once I went gluten free, all my symptoms faded away and I returned to normal.  I have two boys.  The older one is fine.  Younger one has Celiac. I often wonder if my pregnancy with him triggered it for me.  Since he was diagnosed much younger (age 5) I often wonder if somehow me developing it while carrying him is what triggered it for him.  This doesn't answer your question, but I thought it was interesting in light of the research that was shared.

I appreciated reading the article.

cara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 2:45 PM, ljgs said:

Would anyone on this board be willing to be interviewed about their experience? I'd love to know what advice your doctor and/or nutritionist gave you, what you ate, if you supplemented your diet, and anything else you'd like to share. Feel free to private message me.

Posterboy, The OP was not asking for anyone to give her advice because of issues she was having. She is wanting to interview women celiacs about their experiences. Did you read her post?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for replying. Yes, posterboy, I got tested as soon as my daughter was diagnosed, and have been tested occasionally since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:


1 hour ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Posterboy, The OP was not asking for anyone to give her advice because of issues she was having. She is wanting to interview women celiacs about their experiences. Did you read her post?

Ravenwood, KarenG, Cara in Boston,

I was wrong to comment.  I am sorry.

I just identified with the italian research that seemed to explain my own experience as/of someone who had celiac disease (I believe undiagnosed) --  My mother.

Unfortunately it (my diagnosis) came too late for my mother to do anything about it in her life.

She was in her late 70's when I was first diagnosed and only lived about 5 years after receiving an early onset dementia diagnoses among other health problems. . .  probably alzheimer's though it was never confirmed.

My mom had many children before I came along God rest her soul and was the best woman I ever knew .  . . I had no idea my birth was such a strain on her.

Cara in Boston I do believe I inherited Celiac disease from my mom and that subsequent brothers and sisters before me triggered NCGS and/or Celiac undiagnosed for/in her.  . . for she had constant GI problems.

21 hours ago, Cara in Boston said:

I was not diagnosed (nor did I have any symptoms) until my second pregnancy.  At about 4 months, I developed GI symptoms, insomnia, etc.  I just attributed it to being pregnant.  The symptoms continued and new ones developed.  Over 5 years, I saw doctors for various problems (neurologist for dizzy spells and numbness; cardiologist for heart palpitations, etc.). I developed anxiety, but I thought it was because I felt very ill and the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. I was on medication 2x a day for acid reflux. My hair was falling out.   It wasn't until my son was diagnosed that I was even tested .  Once I went gluten free, all my symptoms faded away and I returned to normal.  I have two boys.  The older one is fine.  Younger one has Celiac. I often wonder if my pregnancy with him triggered it for me.  Since he was diagnosed much younger (age 5) I often wonder if somehow me developing it while carrying him is what triggered it for him.  This doesn't answer your question, but I thought it was interesting in light of the research that was shared.

I appreciated reading the article.

cara

I do know both me and my brother (we were late children) have had GI problems all our lives.

I shudder to think if I was born later if I wouldn't have been a "choice" and a not a life or possibly others would of counseled my mom to end her geriatric pregnancy.

I am forever grateful she choose to have me.

Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee . ..

Again I am sorry.

truly the posterboy by the grace of God,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1

  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 354 Guests (See full list)

  • Top Posters +

  • Recent Articles

    Roxanne Bracknell
    Celiac.com 06/22/2018 - The rise of food allergies means that many people are avoiding gluten in recent times. In fact, the number of Americans who have stopped eating gluten has tripled in eight years between 2009 and 2017.
    Whatever your rationale for avoiding gluten, whether its celiac disease, a sensitivity to the protein, or any other reason, it can be really hard to find suitable places to eat out. When you’re on holiday in a new and unknown environment, this can be near impossible. As awareness of celiac disease grows around the world, however, more and more cities are opening their doors to gluten-free lifestyles, none more so than the 10 locations on the list below.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, the U.S is a hotbed of gluten-free options, with four cities making the top 10, as well as the Hawaiian island of Maui. Chicago, in particular, is a real haven of gluten-free fare, with 240 coeliac-safe eateries throughout this huge city. The super hip city of Portland also ranks highly on this list, with the capital of counterculture rich in gluten-free cuisine, with San Francisco and Denver also included. Outside of the states, several prominent European capitals also rank very highly on the list, including Prague, the picturesque and historic capital of the Czech Republic, which boasts the best-reviewed restaurants on this list.
    The Irish capital of Dublin, meanwhile, has the most gluten-free establishments, with a huge 330 to choose from, while Amsterdam and Barcelona also feature prominently thanks to their variety of top-notch gluten-free fodder.
    Finally, a special mention must go to Auckland, the sole representative of Australasia in this list, with the largest city in New Zealand rounding out the top 10 thanks to its 180 coeliacsafe eateries.
    The full top ten gluten-free cities are shown in the graphic below:
     

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/21/2018 - Would you buy a house advertised as ‘gluten-free’? Yes, there really is such a house for sale. 
    It seems a Phoenix realtor Mike D’Elena is hoping that his trendy claim will catch the eye of a buyer hungry to avoid gluten, or, at least one with a sense of humor. D’Elena said he crafted the ads as a way to “be funny and to draw attention.” The idea, D’Elena said, is to “make it memorable.” 
    Though D’Elena’s marketing seeks to capitalizes on the gluten-free trend, he knows Celiac disease is a serious health issue for some people. “[W]e’re not here to offend anybody….this is just something we're just trying to do to draw attention and do what's best for our clients," he said. 
    Still, the signs seem to be working. D'elena had fielded six offers within a few days of listing the west Phoenix home.
    "Buying can sometimes be the most stressful thing you do in your entire life so why not have some fun with it," he said. 
    What do you think? Clever? Funny?
    Read more at Arizonafamily.com.

    Advertising Banner-Ads
    Bakery On Main started in the small bakery of a natural foods market on Main Street in Glastonbury, Connecticut. Founder Michael Smulders listened when his customers with Celiac Disease would mention the lack of good tasting, gluten-free options available to them. Upon learning this, he believed that nobody should have to suffer due to any kind of food allergy or dietary need. From then on, his mission became creating delicious and fearlessly unique gluten-free products that were clean and great tasting, while still being safe for his Celiac customers!
    Premium ingredients, bakeshop delicious recipes, and happy customers were our inspiration from the beginning— and are still the cornerstones of Bakery On Main today. We are a fiercely ethical company that believes in integrity and feels that happiness and wholesome, great tasting food should be harmonious. We strive for that in everything we bake in our dedicated gluten-free facility that is GFCO Certified and SQF Level 3 Certified. We use only natural, NON-GMO Project Verified ingredients and all of our products are certified Kosher Parve, dairy and casein free, and we have recently introduced certified Organic items as well! 
    Our passion is to bake the very best products while bringing happiness to our customers, each other, and all those we meet!
    We are available during normal business hours at: 1-888-533-8118 EST.
    To learn more about us at: visit our site.

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/20/2018 - Currently, the only way to manage celiac disease is to eliminate gluten from the diet. That could be set to change as clinical trials begin in Australia for a new vaccine that aims to switch off the immune response to gluten. 
    The trials are set to begin at Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre. The vaccine is designed to allow people with celiac disease to consume gluten with no adverse effects. A successful vaccine could be the beginning of the end for the gluten-free diet as the only currently viable treatment for celiac disease. That could be a massive breakthrough for people with celiac disease.
    USC’s Clinical Trials Centre Director Lucas Litewka said trial participants would receive an injection of the vaccine twice a week for seven weeks. The trials will be conducted alongside gastroenterologist Dr. James Daveson, who called the vaccine “a very exciting potential new therapy that has been undergoing clinical trials for several years now.”
    Dr. Daveson said the investigational vaccine might potentially restore gluten tolerance to people with celiac disease.The trial is open to adults between the ages of 18 and 70 who have clinically diagnosed celiac disease, and have followed a strict gluten-free diet for at least 12 months. Anyone interested in participating can go to www.joinourtrials.com.
    Read more at the website for Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre.

    Source:
    FoodProcessing.com.au

    Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/19/2018 - Could baking soda help reduce the inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease? Scientists at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University say that a daily dose of baking soda may in fact help reduce inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease.
    Those scientists recently gathered some of the first evidence to show that cheap, over-the-counter antacids can prompt the spleen to promote an anti-inflammatory environment that could be helpful in combating inflammatory disease.
    A type of cell called mesothelial cells line our body cavities, like the digestive tract. They have little fingers, called microvilli, that sense the environment, and warn the organs they cover that there is an invader and an immune response is needed.
    The team’s data shows that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, the stomach makes more acid, which causes mesothelial cells on the outside of the spleen to tell the spleen to go easy on the immune response.  "It's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection," is basically the message, says Dr. Paul O'Connor, renal physiologist in the MCG Department of Physiology at Augusta University and the study's corresponding author.
    That message, which is transmitted with help from a chemical messenger called acetylcholine, seems to encourage the gut to shift against inflammation, say the scientists.
    In patients who drank water with baking soda for two weeks, immune cells called macrophages, shifted from primarily those that promote inflammation, called M1, to those that reduce it, called M2. "The shift from inflammatory to an anti-inflammatory profile is happening everywhere," O'Connor says. "We saw it in the kidneys, we saw it in the spleen, now we see it in the peripheral blood."
    O'Connor hopes drinking baking soda can one day produce similar results for people with autoimmune disease. "You are not really turning anything off or on, you are just pushing it toward one side by giving an anti-inflammatory stimulus," he says, in this case, away from harmful inflammation. "It's potentially a really safe way to treat inflammatory disease."
    The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health.
    Read more at: Sciencedaily.com

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      110,273
    • Total Posts
      949,836
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      77,808
    • Most Online
      3,093

    Newest Member
    Amj415
    Joined
  • Popular Now

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • As your ferritin, vitamin d and iron levels are low without any reason it strongly suggests celiac disease but for proper disgnosis gene test,biopsy is required.  You should consult competent gastroentrologist with good repute.  I am in search of  competent gastroentrologist since 6 years and still searching.   Be sure to be on gluten free diet till biopsy but remember that gene test does not  require to be   on  gluten free diet.  Welcome,I am always here for any suggestion or guidance.  I am doing research on gluten free, celiac disease since 2015 but I am not diagnosed up till now. My nephew is diagnosed with celiac disease and I am also hopeful that I will be diagnosed soon. 
    • If celiac disease is the cause of your reflux, it can take weeks, to months or a year for healing on a gluten free diet.    I have celiac disease but only was anemic when diagnosed.  Last year, I developed reflux for the first time.  Another endoscopy determined that I  had healed from celiac disease, but stomach biopsies revealed chronic autoimmune gastritis which slowly went into remission on its own after a many months.   I assume my Gastritis will flare up again in the future.   Unlike celiac disease where gluten is the trigger, the trigger for AI Gastritis is unknown.   To cope, I would sleep elevated and avoided eating late meals giving my stomach time to empty long before bedtime.  I also reduced coffee and ate a bland diet.  Reflux is awful.  I am so sorry that you are ill.  
    • Hi, how fast after starting with gluten free diet did you notice any improvement with heartburn or reflux? I am 4th day of diet and reflux seams to be worse than earlier. So I am a bit concerned. Please, help!!! Aya
    • OK good to know. Thanks for the tip
    • This is an old thread but I just need to get this out of my system! I am just so fed up with how every caregiver has been dealing with me case. My enzymes have been abnormal and my doc continuously asks me if I'm binge drinking - I literally haven't had a sip of alcohol in 2 years. Never been a heavy drinker.  She also tells me that all of my troubling neurological symptoms - sensory hypersensitivity, tinnitus, jaw/pain, headaches, fatigue, teeth grinding, nightmares, and EPILEPSY are "all in my head." ??? When my GI symptoms first started, she tried pushing acid reflux medications on me, even though Ive never dealt with heartburn. She was confused and aggressively asked, "Then what do you want!???"... um, to figure out the root of my issues? Some diagnostics? Gosh... When I told her my symptoms had decreased on a low gluten diet and I was interested in being tested for celiac, she asked me "why bother? if you're feeling better, just eat less gluten" - not understanding the value of a formal diagnosis.   I just wish I had some other disease that was more medically recognized and understood. Its so demeaning, and I try to see my doctors as little as possible now. I do my own research on PubMED and google scholar. And I don't even think I've had it the worst- I'm totally appalled by all of the crap I've read on this thread. Anyways, I'm done ranting.
  • Blog Entries

  • Upcoming Events