This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question about anemia

CeliacinKY

CeliacinKY Rookie

Not long ago I donated blood, which I'd done many times in the past.  I would always feel a little faint, but eating cookies and drinking juice before I left did the trick.  This last time, I ate and drank as usual and thought I was OK.  But when I left, instead of going back to work, I had to go home to rest.  I just didn't have the energy to do anything.  I didn't think much about it until the next day when I almost passed out from weakness.  It took about a week to feel normal again.  

I had an endoscope and colonoscopy last week, and the Dr. said it looked like I have celiac disease.  I won't see him for the results until next week, so I haven't been officially diagnosed.

They do a finger prick to check for anemia before you give blood.  My question is, how accurate is that test?  I am constantly fatigued and my skin is pale.  I bleed more than normal from minor cuts.  Is there a more comprehensive test for anemia other than the finger prick?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

With celiac your not just dealing with your standard anemia in your fatigue. Your intestines are not absorbing alot of nutrients you need, and said nutrients are not making it to your blood stream and what you do get is normally in the wrong proportions to work properly in synergy with your bodies metabolic processes. This is why many of us have to find what we are low in and supplement that nutrient often in excess til we can better absorb them naturally from food sources.

Iron is a odd one it works with many others, primarily vitmain C, taking it in pill form can cause gastric distress and bowel issues, sublingual works for some and others use a IV infusion for while. Others to consider if your tired that are common with this disease are Magnesium, vitamin D and the full b-vitamin complex. You will want to get a comprehensive screening where they will check different forms of anemia and your vitamin/mineral levels to give you a idea of what you might need. Magnesium and Bvitamins we often need in slight excess of what is considered normal to feel better with this disease.

You mentioned your new to this you should read the newbie 101 section, a crumb/gluten residue can set off the antibody reaction which can do damage for weeks-months til your antibodies go back down. This disease can be managed by diet but requires you to be 100% committed to eating for your health. There is no cheating with this, you will need to avoid eating out, you will need to get rid of all gluten foods in the house, check all ingredient labels, and throw out contaminated cookware like wooden spoons, scratched pans/pots, condiment jars that have had gluten crumbs/residue put in with a spoon used once to spread them on gluten foods. Etc. Do not loose all hope the diet is simple you eat whole foods more often and stick them strictly for the first few weeks to get a boost in healing, baked/stewed meats. veggies, eggs, fruit, nuts seeds that are certified gluten free etc. Avoid diary and oats for the first few weeks also.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/120402-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q1/

trents Grand Master

To answer your question, the finger prick test is accurate as far as I know. I don't know why that would be any different than a lab draw with syringe.  Both get blood. 

Anemia is extremely common with Celiac disease. The damaged lining of the gut caused by the auto immune driven inflammation characteristic of Celiac disease significantly reduces the small bowel's efficiency in absorbing vitamins and minerals.

kareng Grand Master
5 hours ago, CeliacinKY said:

Not long ago I donated blood, which I'd done many times in the past.  I would always feel a little faint, but eating cookies and drinking juice before I left did the trick.  This last time, I ate and drank as usual and thought I was OK.  But when I left, instead of going back to work, I had to go home to rest.  I just didn't have the energy to do anything.  I didn't think much about it until the next day when I almost passed out from weakness.  It took about a week to feel normal again.  

I had an endoscope and colonoscopy last week, and the Dr. said it looked like I have celiac disease.  I won't see him for the results until next week, so I haven't been officially diagnosed.

They do a finger prick to check for anemia before you give blood.  My question is, how accurate is that test?  I am constantly fatigued and my skin is pale.  I bleed more than normal from minor cuts.  Is there a more comprehensive test for anemia other than the finger prick?

I think the finger prick is a very basic test.  When they do an actual blood test, you get more info about the type of anemia and what part of the blood might be affected.  For example, I don't think it tests for ferritin or the shape of the red blood cells.  In anemia, you can have a lot of red blood cells but they are larger and/or misshapen.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

Nice cause, but I would give up donating blood.  I did.  I gave blood at school.  As I was reaching for a Cookie I passed out.  I was there the entire day.  The Red Cross volunteers were arguing about taking me to ER.  They  pumped me with coffee and walked me up and down the hallway.  I am sure other students thought I was drunk.   Finally, they drove me to my Grandmother ‘s (she was a nurse) leaving my car on campus.  I was so sick.  I recall my legs hurting so much.   Red Cross told me to never come back.  

I have had two different anemias, so find out what type of anemia you have because treatment varies.  So, ask your doctor for a full CBC, ferritin, and a vitamin panel.  Deficiencies can cause your bleeding issue.  A gluten free diet can resolve most anemias if you have Celiac Disease 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
11 hours ago, CeliacinKY said:

I am constantly fatigued and my skin is pale.  I bleed more than normal from minor cuts.

Was just thinking on this I had the same issues with bleeding years ago, was a vitamin A and K defeincey Vitamin K is needed for blood clotting....I now always make sure to eat kale or spinach daily.

Archived