This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Disorders/weight Loss

sillyyak

Lauren M Explorer
I know it's been a while since anyone responded to this post and it seems to have gotten off the original topic a bit, but I'd like to throw my two cents in. I was diagnosed with celiac back in August and I have been struggling with an eating disorder ever since. For me, I think it's the guilt of the food costing so much more and all of the grief that it has caused my wife; she does a lot of the cooking for us and this made her have to completely overhaul her menu planning and recipies and grocery purchases, etc.

When I was diagnosed, I weighed 140-145 pounds - I'm 5' 10". Right now, I'm around 120-125; I've been as light as 118. Yes, I keep checking myself every couple of days. I will force myself to not eat or to eat smaller portions in order to 'make the food go further'. But sometimes, I binge eat for an hour or two, then I feel overly stuffed since my stomach has shrunken so much and I go back to not eating enough. Sometimes, I feel very cold or just kinda 'out of it', but I've learned how to deal with it for the most part.

I'm not sure if this was the original intention of this thread, but to whoever is going through similar feelings to mine, you're not alone. :(

Welcome to the board, jgross. I have the same guilt over food prices and wasting food. Have you considered going to therapy? Have you seen a doctor for the weight loss? My weight loss caused a lot of medical problems, including osteopenia (I'm only 24) and dangerously low potassium and magnesium. I'm here for you if you have any questions, I have been in an eating disorder treatment program. You can ask on here, PM me, or send me an email.

Hang in there.

- Lauren

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

clhsc Apprentice

I don't think that malnourishment would be a problem on this diet, once you are healed. Luckily all the things that are naturally gluten free are good foods that you should be eating anyway. I also drink Ensure at breakfast and lunch in addition to trying to eat something. I go through phases when I don't want to eat anything. When I am like that I make sure to eat at the very least some vegetables and instead of steaming them like I usually do, I use a little olive oil to saute them. This at least adds some fat to the diet. I also add olive oil to salads, to cook meats, etc when I am going through a phase.

I haven't tried Boost in a while and don't know if it's gluten free, but in high school when I was severely underweight I drank four Boost a day. They have one with extra calories. Check that out, but read the ingredients first.

Hope you start gaining and are feeling healthy soon!

• 3 weeks later...
TiffTiff Rookie

I am vegan just recently diagnosed with celiacs and also anorexic im 94 pounds, in a way this is just another part of something im gonna have to deal with, each day is a new beginning sometimes, an orange to me is too much to eat sometimes: (

tiff

key Contributor

I have been struggling a bit with anorexia symptoms. I don't have a full blown case of anorexia by any means, but I was having so many digestive issues, that I became scared to eat, because of the pain it caused. So I have lost some more weight. NOw I am struggling with low iron and I am cold all the time. I did have my celiac tests redone and everything had returned to normal. I am doing much better since I started some different natural remedies. I am very constistent with them. I also cut out almost all dairy and started eating alot more fruits, veges, etc.

I don't think you should worry about the expense. There are SO many naturally gluten free foods that are healthy and cheap. It has taken me awhile to figure this one out. I have gone to a very natural diet and feel much better since I have. I am not eating any processed foods right now. I think the money I save by not eating out anymore and my family of 5 not eating out makes up for the extra expense. I have a son with celiac disease and he is 2, so I do buy some gluten-free breads, pastas and pancakes for him. We are also vegetarian.

I would definitely consider therapy if you are not eating. Your weight is very low and you need help. It sounds like you could be depressed and need something to get you through this change in your life. It is a HUGE adjustment! It is a year and a half for us on the diet and I am still accepting not eating out, etc. It gets better with time. Now I am happy I eat healthier then most, etc.

Take care and hang in there.

Monica

TiffTiff Rookie

i myself, have tried treatment didnt work, ive learned to live with it, its a part of me i guess, its kind of like having a shadow, its always with you, and in some messed up way its my security blanket, like i can control it, mine is full blown anorexia, but i do eat when i have to, sometimes i just fast, i went to see my hematologist today for my itp and i was perfect they said so i wasnt too worried

• 2 weeks later...
jgross Newbie

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. :)

Some days are better, some are worse. It seems like when I eat sweets is when I get the coldest, so I am trying to avoid them, which is a little more challenging this time of year. Not that I ever had a sweet tooth, but there were a few holiday treats that I can't have anymore. I've found a few recipes and that's good enough for me.

Overall, I'm still losing weight, though, because for the most part, the more I eat, the worse I feel. I get edgy, cold, sometimes kind of 'out of it'. Some days I can push myself to eat - other days, not so much.

As for the food cost issue, I've gotten past it to a point - as much as I can for now. It's cheaper to spend a little more on food than to cause more health problems that will require more trips to the doctor. Speaking of that, I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow. The last blood test I had showed a low white blood cell count. It's been four months since I was diagnosed, so I'm hoping my levels return to normal soon. Low iron was what triggered this whole thing. I might have to go see a hematologist. Great, another doctor - that's just what I want! ;)

I'm kinda disappointed with my Gastroenterologist. Anyone have a recommendation for a good one in the Chicago area - western suburbs? Thanks!

Archived