1 1
arg5688

Pregnant and Clueless

Rate this topic

Recently my daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease. She doesn’t really exhibit any symptoms. I was told there’s a genetic link and we planned to test the whole family. Not long after, I found out I was pregnant and for the sake of my baby and to lower my miscarriage risk, I stopped consuming gluten even though I never had a chance to test. I’m currently 8 weeks. I’ve been gluten free for a month. Is testing for it not something that’s possible since I haven’t been consuming it? I also do not exhibit signs aside from a constant issue with anemia. Thanks for any help. I’m kind of lost!

3 hours ago, arg5688 said:

Recently my daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease. She doesn’t really exhibit any symptoms. I was told there’s a genetic link and we planned to test the whole family. Not long after, I found out I was pregnant and for the sake of my baby and to lower my miscarriage risk, I stopped consuming gluten even though I never had a chance to test. I’m currently 8 weeks. I’ve been gluten free for a month. Is testing for it not something that’s possible since I haven’t been consuming it? I also do not exhibit signs aside from a constant issue with anemia. Thanks for any help. I’m kind of lost!

Anemia was my only symptom when I was diagnosed (I month or so later, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis....little did I know).  So, you could have celiac disease.  Four weeks off gluten can impact test results, but it might be worth a try.   But I personally, would just remain gluten free until the baby is weaned.  You can also do a gluten challenge later.  By eating gluten free you will be supporting your daughter.  If your anemia resolves, what a bonus.  

You know what is best for you and your new baby!  Congratulations!  

1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

Anemia was my only symptom when I was diagnosed (I month or so later, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis....little did I know).  So, you could have celiac disease.  Four weeks off gluten can impact test results, but it might be worth a try.   But I personally, would just remain gluten free until the baby is weaned.  You can also do a gluten challenge later.  By eating gluten free you will be supporting your daughter.  If your anemia resolves, what a bonus.  

You know what is best for you and your new baby!  Congratulations!  

I agree. I would also wait & then do a gluten challenge later. 

On 5/5/2018 at 7:51 AM, squirmingitch said:

I agree. I would also wait & then do a gluten challenge later. 

Me too..