This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New to forum, just want advice on how to test for celiac and if anyone has similar symptoms I have and I do have a lot of questions about celiac.

Allikitten

Allikitten Newbie

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have been gluten free for a long time since I know I cannot tolerate gluten very well. I have been tested for celiac but since I wasn't even eating gluten at the time, of course my results came back negative. I do, however, get really terrible symptoms when I accidentally ingest it. I get nausea, vomiting, migraines, if I ingested a lot lets say in meat products that contain wheat in it, I used to be able to tolerate traces of wheat but not anymore. I feel even more lethargic than I usually do, I have fibromyalgia so that comes with it, but even more so when I eat gluten.  My muscles start to hurt and my fibro flares, I get stomach cramps, irritability, mood swings, feeling depressed after eating it, a few times I have also had b 12 deficiency that looked like pernicious anemia when I had gone to my naturopath, I also experience kidney pain on my right side after eating it. I'm wondering if anyone who is actually diagnosed with celiac disease has these symptoms as well. Also is there another way to test for celiac disease besides eating it for a certain amount of time? I've read that you have to consume gluten for 6 months to actually get a positive result in a blood test which is quite a long time to torture myself. Another reason why I am here is because I have been told and read that this disease is more prominent or happens in Caucasians and I'm Asian, probably mixed with some Spanish descent so I'm not sure if I can possibly have celiac or not because I don't personally know anyone with celiac disease. I just have such awful symptoms when I get glutened so I don't know if it's just a really bad intolerance or if I have celiac.  I'm wondering if I have it so I am waiting to see my GI and am going to try to network with other celiacs in my area to see how they were diagnosed because it's really frustrating when you don't know what's really going on with your body. If anyone has any suggestions please share. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, Allikitten said:

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have been gluten free for a long time since I know I cannot tolerate gluten very well. I have been tested for celiac but since I wasn't even eating gluten at the time, of course my results came back negative. I do, however, get really terrible symptoms when I accidentally ingest it. I get nausea, vomiting, migraines, if I ingested a lot lets say in meat products that contain wheat in it, I used to be able to tolerate traces of wheat but not anymore. I feel even more lethargic than I usually do, I have fibromyalgia so that comes with it, but even more so when I eat gluten.  My muscles start to hurt and my fibro flares, I get stomach cramps, irritability, mood swings, feeling depressed after eating it, a few times I have also had b 12 deficiency that looked like pernicious anemia when I had gone to my naturopath, I also experience kidney pain on my right side after eating it. I'm wondering if anyone who is actually diagnosed with celiac disease has these symptoms as well. Also is there another way to test for celiac disease besides eating it for a certain amount of time? I've read that you have to consume gluten for 6 months to actually get a positive result in a blood test which is quite a long time to torture myself. Another reason why I am here is because I have been told and read that this disease is more prominent or happens in Caucasians and I'm Asian, probably mixed with some Spanish descent so I'm not sure if I can possibly have celiac or not because I don't personally know anyone with celiac disease. I just have such awful symptoms when I get glutened so I don't know if it's just a really bad intolerance or if I have celiac.  I'm wondering if I have it so I am waiting to see my GI and am going to try to network with other celiacs in my area to see how they were diagnosed because it's really frustrating when you don't know what's really going on with your body. If anyone has any suggestions please share. Thanks.

A gluten challenge is not six months, but it is around 8 weeks:

Open Original Shared Link

The decision is yours to make.  While I am diagnosed, my hubby is not.  He went gluten free per the advice of two medical doctors (no celiac testing was done) 17 years ago.    It worked though.  He never cheats.  He also would never consider a challenge.  He likes feeling good and frankly we also like paying our bills.  ?

Just something to consider.  

Oh, Asian and Spanish.  It is possible.  Celiac disease is no longer considered a European Disease.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived