This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Interpreting Results??

Sky1

Sky1 Newbie

Hi Everyone!

I am looking at my blood test results, and am curious what it means to have a negative (TGG) IGA test and a weak positive (TGG) IGG test. My IGA was <2. Negative is considered 0-3, weak positive 4-10, positive >10. My IGG was a 7. Negative is 0-5, weak positive is 6-9, and positive is >9. How would you interpret it? I had an endoscopy done and am waiting for the results. In the mean time, I am trying to prepare myself what to do if the results come back negative. It seems as though the doctor does not talk to patients much, I keep talking with people at the office who I ask more questions and they're not sure of the answers which is very frustrating. Any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
5 hours ago, Sky1 said:

Hi Everyone!

I am looking at my blood test results, and am curious what it means to have a negative (TGG) IGA test and a weak positive (TGG) IGG test. My IGA was <2. Negative is considered 0-3, weak positive 4-10, positive >10. My IGG was a 7. Negative is 0-5, weak positive is 6-9, and positive is >9. How would you interpret it? I had an endoscopy done and am waiting for the results. In the mean time, I am trying to prepare myself what to do if the results come back negative. It seems as though the doctor does not talk to patients much, I keep talking with people at the office who I ask more questions and they're not sure of the answers which is very frustrating. Any ideas?

Hi! 

Was your doctor planning on obtaining biopsies from the small intestine?  Was he going to biopsy the stomach to (help rule out H. Pylori, etc.   Your results are inconclusive, but I can tell you that I never had a positive (even on follow-up testing) on the TTG tests.  I only test positive to the DGP IgA.  Did you know that some celiacs are seronegative? 

You should have more answers when you receive the pathologist’s report and maybe the GI saw some visual damage (but depending on the scope, often not as celiac disease damage  is microscopic).  Get actual copies of all the reports!! 

Sky1 Newbie
9 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Hi! 

Was your doctor planning on obtaining biopsies from the small intestine?  Was he going to biopsy the stomach to (help rule out H. Pylori, etc.   Your results are inconclusive, but I can tell you that I never had a positive (even on follow-up testing) on the TTG tests.  I only test positive to the DGP IgA.  Did you know that some celiacs are seronegative? 

You should have more answers when you receive the pathologist’s report and maybe the GI saw some visual damage (but depending on the scope, often not as celiac disease damage  is microscopic).  Get actual copies of all the reports!! 

Thank you for the info! I know I won’t have definite answers until I get the report. They did do biopsies of the small intestine. They saw that I currently have gastritis and duodenitis, so they also tested for H. Pylori. How often can a false positive come back? I will be sure to ask for a copy of the report when it comes back! My endoscopy was done on Tuesday 

cyclinglady Grand Master

I honestly do not know how often false positives occur.  It was good that despite your low result, your GI moved forward with an endoscopy.   It is so hard waiting for results!   Keep us posted.  

Archived