This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nestle Butterscotch Chips??

saygrace

saygrace Newbie

Hello-

My best friend was recently diagnosed with celiac, in an effort to cheer her up and show her she can still eat her favorite foods, just modified, I decided to (very carefully) make her some 7 layer/congo/magic layer/whatever you call them bars- the recipe i use calls for butterscotch chips. the nestle bag doesn’t say anything about them being gluten-free, and a quick google search shows that they aren’t, but i wanted to double check because the bag also says nothing about containing barley protein or wheat products. I want to know if these are okay to use or if i should just omit them from the recipe for this batch. Please let me know!

Thanks for your feedback. 

A8E70C75-7051-47CE-A3E2-ECBF0550E5D9.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I can't quite make it all out- some butterscotch chips used to contain malt.  What I can see looks ok.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Also you would have to make the bars in a non contaminated environment with new spatulas and probably use a foil lined pan and a new mixing bowl. Gluten can get stuck in the handle connection point of spatulas, and scratches in bowls, pans, gluten flour can stay airborne for hours.....most of us will not eat anything not made in non gluten free kitchen or something we strictly supervise. Many newly diagnosed celiacs also have intestinal damage still that makes dairy hard to digest as the tips of our villi that work with the enzymes to break them down are gone.
Here is a list of some foods you can see about cheering her up with anyway, wish you were from Texas would offer some freebes from my bakery.
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/121802-gluten-free-food-alternative-list-2018-q3/

Kelly Lain Newbie

I know that caramel coloring and natural flavoring are both not necessarily gluten free. They could also be processed near gluten containing products. To be safe, I would just omit them from the batch because newly diagnosed celiacs have much worse reactions than those who have followed a gluten free diet for a while due to all of the intestinal damage that takes time to heal. That is so nice of you to do for her :)

kareng Grand Master
17 minutes ago, Kelly Lain said:

I know that caramel coloring and natural flavoring are both not necessarily gluten free. They could also be processed near gluten containing products. To be safe, I would just omit them from the batch because newly diagnosed celiacs have much worse reactions than those who have followed a gluten free diet for a while due to all of the intestinal damage that takes time to heal. That is so nice of you to do for her :)

Actually Carmel coloring is gluten-free no matter what it is made from.  Natural flavorings are not likely to be “ natural wheat or barley or rye “ flavor.

“In other words, natural flavor, natural flavoring, and flavoring may be derived from gluten-containing grains. BUT unless you see the words wheat, barley, rye, or malt on the label of food product containing natural flavor, the natural flavor probably does not contain protein from these sources.

Why? Under the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act if an ingredient in an FDA-regulated food product contains protein from wheat, the word “wheat” must be included on the food label either in the ingredients list or Contains statement.

Even though natural flavoring is one of those ingredients (along with coloring and spice) that may be listed collectively, wheat protein will not be hidden. Barley is used in flavorings, such as malt flavoring and some smoke flavoring (see below) but these ingredients generally are declared in the ingredients list.

Rye also could be used in a flavoring but probably will be listed as rye flavoring (which is generally made from rye flour) in the ingredients list or used in a food product you wouldn’t eat anyway, such as a bread product. “

Open Original Shared Link

companies typically use corn to produce caramel color, rather than wheat. Under the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act, a product’s label must indicate if wheat is used in caramel coloring.”

Open Original Shared Link

pschwab Enthusiast

Hershey’s butterscotch chips are gluten free. We use those instead of nestles

Archived