2 2
MistyW

Possible to have both Wheat Allergy and Gluten Intolerance?

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

Marathoner/Cyclist/UltraRunner 36 year old female 

I have had neurological symptoms for many years that have slowly gotten worse as I've gotten older of, what I believe to be, Gluten Intolerance.  Namely: anxiety and depression (I never sought an official diagnosis because I didn't want to be medicated), ADHD/bad short-term memory (My mom said that I've always "just been like that"), brain fog and extreme fatigue/naps ("It's because you're getting older, haha drink more caffeine, quit running so much," etc), occasional migraines ("It's hereditary"), and, more recently, joint pain ("You need to quit running and get more rest").

I have a tip-top diet eating LOTS of fresh organic green vegetables, fruits, whole grains, eggs, quinoa, seafood, chicken, limited dairy, and I take the right supplements for my activity level. I have never displayed irritable bowel with gluten but I did have more unstable bathroom habits while on training runs.

After being so frustrated with my fading energy levels and brain fog, I did tons of Googling of my symptoms that apparently only *I* thought were concerning. I began to suspect a Vitamin B12 deficiency was to blame for my lethargy. I began to supplement with sublingual B12 and it seemed to help but I was super-confused as to why I wasn't absorbing B12 from my diet which was plentiful in B12. 

After a bout with the flu this last winter, I suddenly developed a sort of whole-body rash that would develop after each and every training run. It was a strange rash because it happened right after finishing a run, and broke out primarily on my elbows, knees, buttocks, abdomen, and sometimes my neck and face. The bumps were more like HIVES, raised, sometimes as wide as an inch, and itchy. My airway was never affected and so I kind of tolerated it for awhile, thinking it was a strange phase.  When it didn't go away, I started Googling again. I came up with something called "food-dependant, exercise induced anaphylaxis." One of the triggers of FDEIA was wheat. And when I looked more into the multiple symptoms of gluten intolerance, a big fat lightbulb clicked on in my head. 

All of the troublesome symptoms that I was blaming on age and running and heredity matched up pretty darn well with WHEAT. I immediately experimented by cutting wheat out of my diet completely and within 1-2 weeks, my annoying symptoms were gone, I felt rested, clearer minded, with a brighter mood. The post-exercise rash went away.

I began thinking about trying to get an official diagnosis (am I gluten sensetive? intolerant? allergic? celiac?). When I learned that I would have to go back on wheat for awhile to get a diagnosis I decided to just live wheat-free without the diagnosis, however, part of me really wants to know!

Is it possible to be both allergic to (post-exercise hives) and intolerant to (brain fog, adhd, fatigue, loose bowels, joint pain, anxiety) wheat?

Thanks for any insight!!~~~~~~~~

For the record, I ate pizza about a week ago just because.....and while nothing significant happened after I ate, I broke out in a horrible hivey rash the very next time I went on a run. Bodies are strange!

Edited by MistyW

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hi, yes, you can have an allergy and a food intolerance.  Allergies are IgE immune reactions, food intolerances are IgA or IgG immune reactions.  You can get tested for allergies with a skin prick test.

They test for celiac disease with a blood test first, and then an endoscopy later.

The celiac blood tests are:

DGP IgA

DGP IgG

EMA IgA

Ttg IgA

Total serum  IgA

Each of these antibody tests have a range of possible values that varies by the lab.  You need the ranges to interpret the test results.

The 2nd test is the endoscopy where they take 4 to 6 small biopsy samples of the small intestine lining.  Then they check the biopsies with a  microscope for damage characteristic of celiac disease.

There is also the DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) test.  DH is a skin rash that only people with celiac disease get.  They test for it by taking a small skin biopsy from next to a lesion.  DH tends to appear in a symmetrical pattern on both elbows, butt cheeks, knees etc.  DH can be very itchy also.

• Upvote 1

I would really suggest following up with GFinDC suggestion and get tested for celiac. Your complaints about the fatigue, joint issues, fog, anxiety, depression and worsening ADHD are all things I used to get in highschool way before my diagnosis. See about starting the gluten challenge of eating it daily for 8-12 weeks and getting the blood test. If you feel it will interfere with your life, try taking like a tsp or 2 of vital wheat gluten before bed and trying to sleep it off.

Knowing the issue will be a big relieve and will help with sticking more strictly to the diet and getting support from family and doctors about the diet.

• Upvote 1

Others have given you good advice with regard to getting screened/diagnosed, but I wanted to chime in since I am a fellow "serious" runner. I spent much of my teens/early 20s training at a high level with increasingly intrusive symptoms, much like you described. I normalized a lot of it for years, but got to a breaking point where I simply couldn't any more.

I think within the running community, IBS-like symptoms (constantly having to stop to poop on the run) are normalized, so I didn't think much of this - never had diarrhea, just high volume, fatty stools. Since being on a GFD, I have not had to stop to poop once while running, except on occasions where I have poisoned myself. My workouts/long runs are >2hrs in length. I also had a number of stress fractures and issues with iron deficiency/anemia, which were also overlooked because they are "normal" in elite female runners. I also experienced creaky/stiff joints, but didn't realize this until later when they stopped being that way.

What really broke me was the odd fatigue symptoms I would have. I would be in the best shape of my life, then do a random harder effort (eg. race, track workout) and be bedridden for a week. I could not convince anyone that I was not overtraining. Eventually, I learned to sandbag workouts/races to avoid having this happen, which was frustrating to do as someone who is competitive.

I also get a rash, which is worsened by sweating and friction - sports bra seams, armpits, shorts seams. It does appear elsewhere, but these are the hot spots. At its worst, I had to stop sometimes on runs to scratch because it was so unbearably itchy. At first I thought it was an allergy to detergent or perhaps a bacterial/fungal issue, but the rash was unresponsive to addressing those issues.

Unfortunately, despite my rather suspicious symptoms, the GPs I saw did not elect to test me for celiac disease. I accidentally discovered that gluten appeared to be causing my issues while doing a supervised elimination diet (for food allergies/intolerances). At that point, I had been gluten-free too long for a reliable test, and couldn't bear subjecting myself to the gluten challenge to confirm celiac disease/DH officially (in part because of the psychological symptoms that gluten ingestion seemed to elicit). This is not a pathway I would recommend if you can avoid it - get tested for celiac disease now while you still can.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2

• Who's Online   22 Members, 0 Anonymous, 452 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/17/2018 - What can fat soluble vitamin levels in newly diagnosed children tell us about celiac disease? A team of researchers recently assessed fat soluble vitamin levels in children diagnosed with newly celiac disease to determine whether vitamin levels needed to be assessed routinely in these patients during diagnosis.
    The researchers evaluated the symptoms of celiac patients in a newly diagnosed pediatric group and evaluated their fat soluble vitamin levels and intestinal biopsies, and then compared their vitamin levels with those of a healthy control group.
    The research team included Yavuz Tokgöz, Semiha Terlemez and Aslıhan Karul. They are variously affiliated with the Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, the Department of Pediatrics, and the Department of Biochemistry at Adnan Menderes University Medical Faculty in Aydın, Turkey.
    The team evaluated 27 female, 25 male celiac patients, and an evenly divided group of 50 healthy control subjects. Patients averaged 9 years, and weighed 16.2 kg. The most common symptom in celiac patients was growth retardation, which was seen in 61.5%, with  abdominal pain next at 51.9%, and diarrhea, seen in 11.5%. Histological examination showed nearly half of the patients at grade Marsh 3B. 
    Vitamin A and vitamin D levels for celiac patients were significantly lower than the control group. Vitamin A and vitamin D deficiencies were significantly more common compared to healthy subjects. Nearly all of the celiac patients showed vitamin D insufficiency, while nearly 62% showed vitamin D deficiency. Nearly 33% of celiac patients showed vitamin A deficiency. 
    The team saw no deficiencies in vitamin E or vitamin K1 among celiac patients. In the healthy control group, vitamin D deficiency was seen in 2 (4%) patients, vitamin D insufficiency was determined in 9 (18%) patients. The team found normal levels of all other vitamins in the healthy group.
    Children with newly diagnosed celiac disease showed significantly reduced levels of vitamin D and A. The team recommends screening of vitamin A and D levels during diagnosis of these patients.
    Source:
    BMC Pediatrics

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/16/2018 - Did weak public oversight leave Arizonans ripe for Theranos’ faulty blood tests scam? Scandal-plagued blood-testing company Theranos deceived Arizona officials and patients by selling unproven, unreliable products that produced faulty medical results, according to a new book by Wall Street Journal reporter, whose in-depth, comprehensive investigation of the company uncovered deceit, abuse, and potential fraud.
    Moreover, Arizona government officials facilitated the deception by providing weak regulatory oversight that essentially left patients as guinea pigs, said the book’s author, investigative reporter John Carreyrou. 
    In the newly released "Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup," Carreyrou documents how Theranos and its upstart founder, Elizabeth Holmes, used overblown marketing claims and questionable sales tactics to push faulty products that resulted in consistently faulty blood tests results. Flawed results included tests for celiac disease and numerous other serious, and potentially life-threatening, conditions.
    According to Carreyrou, Theranos’ lies and deceit made Arizonans into guinea pigs in what amounted to a "big, unauthorized medical experiment.” Even though founder Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos duped numerous people, including seemingly savvy investors, Carreyrou points out that there were public facts available to elected officials back then, like a complete lack of clinical data on the company's testing and no approvals from the Food and Drug Administration for any of its tests.
    SEC recently charged the now disgraced Holmes with what it called a 'years-long fraud.’ The company’s value has plummeted, and it is now nearly worthless, and facing dozens, and possibly hundreds of lawsuits from angry investors. Meantime, Theranos will pay Arizona consumers $4.65 million under a consumer-fraud settlement Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich negotiated with the embattled blood-testing company.
    Both investors and Arizona officials, “could have picked up on those things or asked more questions or kicked the tires more," Carreyrou said. Unlike other states, such as New York, Arizona lacks robust laboratory oversight that would likely have prevented Theranos from operating in those places, he added.
    Stay tuned for more new on how the Theranos fraud story plays out.
    Read more at azcentral.com.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/14/2018 - If you’re looking for a simple, nutritious and exciting alternative to standard spaghetti and tomato sauce, look no further than this delicious version that blends ripe plum tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil, and firm sliced ricotta to deliver a tasty, memorable dish.
    Ingredients:
    12 ounces gluten-free spaghetti 5 or 6 ripe plum tomatoes ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil 2 cloves garlic, crushed ¾ teaspoons crushed red pepper ¼ cup chopped fresh basil 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Kosher salt and black pepper ⅓ cup pecorino Romano cheese, grated ½ cup firm ricotta, shaved with peeler Directions:
    Finely chop all but one of the tomatoes; transfer to large bowl with olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt.
    Cook spaghetti until al dente or desired firmness, and drain, reserving ¼ cup cooking water. 
    Meanwhile, chop remaining tomato, and place in food processor along with garlic, red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt; puree until smooth. 
    Gently stir mixture into the bowl of chopped tomatoes.
    Add cooked spaghetti, basil and parsley to a large bowl.
    Toss in tomato mixture, adding some reserved pasta water, if needed. 
    Spoon pasta into bowls and top with Romano cheese, as desired.

Jean Duane
    Celiac.com 07/13/2018 - I went to a friend’s home for dinner.  A few days before, she called and asked me what I could eat.  I asked her what she was planning to make, and she said she was grilling meats with side dishes.  I said, “Great.  Please just grill a piece of chicken for me with salt and pepper, and I’ll be happy to bring a side.” She said, “No need to bring a side.  I’ve got this.” When I arrived, she greeted me and said, “I spent all day cooking tonight’s dinner so you can eat it. Hey would you just check this salad dressing to see if it is OK for you?” I looked at the ingredients and it contained gluten and dairy, both of which I cannot eat.  Then I glanced around the kitchen and saw evidence of wheat cross-contamination, including buns being toasted on the grill, and gluten-containing barbeque sauce spilling on the grill where my “clean” chicken was cooking. She had other guests to tend to, and I couldn’t offer instruction or read the ingredients of everything she used in the meal. 
    At social gatherings, I’ve been challenged too by those who ask if I am really “allergic,” or just eating gluten free as a “fad.” I’ve been told many times by hosts and hostesses that, “a little won’t hurt you,” or “everything in moderation,” or “if it is made with loving hands, it is good for you to eat.”  Of course, all of this is bunk for those with food allergies or celiac disease.  A little bit may kill us, and whether made with loving hands or not, it will certainly make us sick. 
    Those of us with food allergies and/or celiac disease walk a tightrope with friends and relatives. The old rules of etiquette just don’t work anymore.  We don’t want to insult anybody, we don’t want to be isolated, and we also don’t want to risk our health by eating foods that may contain ingredients we cannot tolerate.  So what do we do? 
    Etiquette books advise us to eat what is put in front of us when we are guests in someone’s home. They caution us at all costs not to insult our hostess. Rather, we are instructed to compliment the hostess on her good cooking, flavor combinations, and food choices.  But when foods are prepared in a cross-contaminated environment with ingredients we are allergic to, we cannot follow the old social constructs that do not serve us.  We need to work together to rewrite the rules, so that we can be included in social gatherings without fear of cross-contamination, and without offending anyone.
    Let’s figure out how to surmount these social situations together.  
    Each edition of this column will present a scenario, and together, we’ll determine appropriate, polite, and most importantly, safe ways to navigate this tricky gluten-free/food allergies lifestyle in a graceful way.  If someone disagrees with our new behavior patterns, we can refer them to this column and say, “Here are the new rules for those of us with food allergies or celiac disease.”  When we are guests in someone’s home, we can give them links to this column so they understand the plight we are faced with, bite after bite. Perhaps this will help those of us living with us to understand, be more compassionate, and accepting of our adaptations to keep ourselves safe. 
    This column will present a scenario such as the one above, and ask that you comment on how you would navigate it. Let’s talk about it. Let’s share ideas.  Using the example above, here’s the scenario for this issue:
    What would you do?
    Your kind-hearted friend invites you to dinner and insists on cooking for you.  You arrive and the first thing she says is, “I’ve spent all day making this for you. Oh, I bought this salad dressing for you, but you might want to read the ingredients first.”  You do, and it contains malt vinegar.  You look around the kitchen and notice evidence of cross-contamination in the rest of the meal.  What do you do? 
    Please comment below and feel free to share the tricky scenarios that you’ve encountered too.  Let’s discuss how to surmount these social situations.  What would you do?

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 07/12/2018 - Previous research has shown that the oral administration of Bifidobacterium infantis Natren Life Start super strain (NLS-SS) reduces of gastro-intestinal symptoms in untreated celiac disease patients. The reduction of symptoms was not connected with changes in intestinal permeability or serum levels of cytokines, chemokines, or growth factors. Therefore, researchers suspected that the reduction of symptoms might be related to the modulation of innate immunity.
    To test that hypothesis, a team of researchers set out to assess the potential mechanisms of a probiotic B.infantis Natren Life Start super strain on the mucosal expression of innate immune markers in adult patients with active untreated celiac disease compared with those treated with B. infantis 6 weeks and after 1 year of gluten-free diet.
    The research team included Maria I. Pinto-Sanchez, MD, Edgardo C. Smecuol, MD, Maria P. Temprano,RD, Emilia Sugai, BSBC, Andrea Gonzalez, RD, PhD, Maria L. Moreno,MD, Xianxi Huang, MD, PhD, Premysl Bercik, MD, Ana Cabanne, MD, Horacio Vazquez, MD, Sonia Niveloni, MD, Roberto Mazure, MD, Eduardo Mauriño, MD, Elena F. Verdú, MD, PhD, and Julio C. Bai, MD. They are affiliated with the Medicine Department, Farcombe Family Digestive Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada; the Small Intestinal Section, Department of Medicine and the Department of Alimentation at Dr. C. Bonorino Udaondo, Gastroenterology Hospital and Research Institute at the Universidad del Salvador in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    The team determined the numbers of macrophages and Paneth cells, along with the expression of a-defensin-5 expression via immunohistochemistry in duodenal biopsies.
    Their results showed that a gluten-free diet lowers duodenal macrophage counts in celiac disease patients more effectively than B. infantis, while B. infantis lowers Paneth cell counts and reduces expression of a-defensin-5.
    This study documents the differential innate immune effects of treatment with B. infantis compared with 1 year of gluten-free diet. The team calls for further study to better understand the synergistic effects of gluten-free diet and B. infantis supplementation in celiac disease.
    Source:
    J Clin Gastroenterol

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    beccaafeher

• Trick with the capsules made of cellulose....dump them into a small medicine cup toss the cellulose pill shells and down the powder and chase with a drink. I do this with most of mine...nasty and I have to mix a sweetener in with it sometimes but lets me take them without the vomiting of that weird film that forms from me eating it.
    • Sir, I appreciate your help but my reaction to the ingested melon had nothing to do with my oral cavity. It simply caused overall itching. I appreciate your efforts in explaining but I'm not allergic to pollen either and have never had hay fever. 

Quoting the Bible is useless. It doesn't say anything on celiac disease, therefore it's irrelevant in today's time. You either save yourself or you die. I know I prayed to God when living undiagnosed and doctors dismissed everything (I live in a developing country) so if it hadn't been for my own research, I'd probably be in a worse state than now. God hates celiacs and celiacs aren't too fond of him either I think. All the best!
    • Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. And apologies for the TMI. A little history, 38 yo female, I have had autoimmune problems since I was 12, when I developed vitiligo. Thyroid is gone from Graves Disease. Autoimmune hives which have been in remission for years, but suffered for years at a time. Anemia at times. Gallbladder gone. Just this morning I had Balloon Sinuplasty for a nasty sinus infection that has my Eustachian tubes swollen shut. Skin allergy test for things like dust, pollens, mold, animals, was negative. Been on and off antibiotics and prednisone for a month. I have had both meningitis and shingles. I posted a year ago, I had asked my doctor to test me for Celiac as I have stomach issues. Blood work came back 'weakly positive' and my Endoscopy only found chronic gastritis. So the whole idea was dismissed by my doctors. At the time, I also had a rash on my scalp, which I thought was heat/sweat related. This week, I am finding these 'sores' on my scalp, neck, back, chest, and shoulder. Both sides of my body, but not really symmetrical in any way that I can tell. Itching is not extreme, but they are painful. My head is just throbbing, probably at least 20 sores there. Some have a white head, clear liquid when popped, then blood. Leaves a rather large hole that scabs over.  I really can't find what else this could be. I will be making a derm appointment as soon as I can. Gliaden, IGA value 30.1   reference shows <20.0 is negative >30.0 is positive T Transglutamin IGA value 7.7   reference range <4.0 is negative and 4.0-10.0 is 'weak positive' Celiac Disease Cascade value 167   reference range 61 to 356   Just some more images.
    • Did you do the full celiac panel? The full celiac panel includes: TTG IGA
      TTG IGG
      DGP IGA
      DGP IGG
      EMA
      IGA Did all the tests come in as normal? By immunodeficiencies do you mean that your Total IGA was low and all the tests showed normal?
    • I can't believe others have the same problems I have.  I know we have all had a long and painful road to getting a diagnosis and then to go gluten-free and still have problems is disheartening.   I found out that the reaction to cellulose is a symptom of IBS-D for some people, and I now suspect I also have that, which complicates matters immensely.  I tried the FODMAPS diet which is gluten free AND IBS-D diet and have been helped immensely (with the exception of still getting DH rash).  I have been checking food labels, but eating out can be perilous.   And I just found out that most of the RXs and supplements I take have cellulose, which is a "don't eat this" for me.  Sometimes it seems like you just can't win!
  • Blog Entries

• Upcoming Events