This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has anyone got anxiety?

Harpsichord

Harpsichord Rookie

Hi there!

I have food related anxiety as a result of celiac disease. I don't like eating at restaurants or at friend's houses or anything, even when I logically know that they're safe. Whenever I get stomach aches I start panicking and shaking. I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else. I don't know a whole lot of people with celiac, and a lot of people I've met have it but don't have very strong symptoms and 'cheat' sometimes. I feel sort of alone. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

You are starting to worry me! :)  LOL, Joking!

Hi, you are not alone.  While celiac disease is not super-abundant, it is still a large number of people who have it.  1% of a couple hundred million or so in the USA.  I  don't know how long you have been diagnosed or have been eating gluten-free.  But I think it is very typical and helpful to be a little hyper-cautious during at least the first 6 months.  It's that increased alertness and concern that helps us learn a new way of surviving in the world of gluten eaters.  I wouldn't trust just anyone else's cooking even now after 9 years.   Their saying it is gluten-free doesn't make it so.

When in doubt, don't eat it!

We regularly suggest people not to eat at restaurants for the first 6 months.  And not eat food others have prepared.  Why not?  Because it is only our responsibility to make sure our food is gluten-free, nobody else's.  So we have to do what we can to ensure that is the case.

You get better faster by avoiding taking risks with your diet and health.  It is not unusual for recovery from celiac damage to take over a year.  So taking risks that may set that healing process back is not a great idea IMHO.

You can bring your own food or snacks.  And if you can't just skip the event.  You'll get more used to eating gluten-free and avoiding cross contamination risks over time.

Anxiety is a symptom of celiac disease for some of us.  It generally gets better after we heal some and begin absorbing nutrients again.  If you are new to the gluten-free diet there is hope for a big improvement in your health.  But it can take some time to feel much better.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

It is normal, I only eat at a place with 100% dedicated gluten free kitchen, or if I get something simple I and get to see how they prepare it (IE fish/veggies roasted on tin foil in a oven). I would not trust my own mothers to fix me a meal in her house. NOW if she came to my house and cooked it in my dedicated kitchen with ingredients I chose then we have no issues. 

Eating out with celiac is Russian roulette as we like to say, check the FindMeGlutenFree app and try to find places with good reviews, tell your server.

IF you need help with anxiety it is made worse by deficiency issues with this disease. We can have absorption issues with vitamins, minerals, and the healthy fats our brain needs to work work and our nerves fire correctly. Common ones are B-vitamins (full spectrum) and Magnesium. Go ahead and google deficiencies in them and see if you have any other symptoms.

I use Liquid Health Energy & Stress and Neurological Support 1 tbsp each 3 times a day and I take magnesium Calm from Natural Vitality dosed to tolerance.

jeanniemiller Newbie

your not alone I have had 3 melt downs shaking crying screaming my poor husband  I just found out good Friday that i'm celiac only place I eat out is hoss steak house tips baked potato I seem ok other place I take my own food I pray we both get better with our  Anxiety and depression over this disease

Bree J Apprentice

I am the same. Im 23 and have been gluten free for 5 years, but only 2 months ago i found out it's celiac and not just an intolerance. Since I've been more careful I do feel better, but I get even more anxious now. When my brother texted the family about his birthday dinner at a Hibachi (Japanese) restaurant, I had a full on panic attack because a lot of Asian foods have soy sauce, and everyone's food is made on a shared grill. Instead of spending time getting ready to go out, I cried and googled stuff about Hibachi to try and plan what I was going to do. I called the restaurant when I calmed down a little, and they said they had a gluten free protocol and gluten free soy sauce. Our chef sanitized half of the grill for me and my food. So it was all okay. But very stressful!

My biggest tip is to call any restaurant you're about to go to and tell them you have a severe allergy (the best way I've found that servers take it seriously), even ask to speak to the manager. I have general anxiety anyway, so phone calls are hard, but I've been learning to take ownership of my dietary needs, because I finally feel like myself when i do (and am not sick!).

Red Robin has a new interactive allergy menu online, I wish every restaurant did! I ordered online for pick up, and they had an option on every item to make it gluten free, or told me it was not safe to eat. I called (like I do) anyway to check, and they told me they have a special gluten free fryer for gluten-free french fry requests. It amazed me! I got a specialty burger in a lettuce wrap and 2 kinds of fries, and felt great! A win for me vs. restaurants lol.

I hope you start to find some peace. For now, go out to places still, but just maybe do some research before you go on the fully gluten-free dishes they have without modifications (so you're not worried someone will mess up). Many people have made forums similar to this one for foods at all kinds of restaurants. 

If anything, don't let anyone make you feel bad about your celiac! It's not your choice, but it is a necessity. People don't make fun of peanut allergies... just whip out that phrase if anyone gives you trouble, lol.

Archived