• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

VydorScope

Osteoporosis?

Rate this topic

I was in a bad car accident in 1994, and somehow along the way I acquired all the actual films and radiologists reports from it. You know, the CAT scans and X-rays, etc. I finally got around to showing them to my doc, well faxed them over this am, and they called back 2 hours later and have me scheduled for a bone scan tomorrow at 3:45pm. Before getting the reports it was "I would like to get you screened for osteoporosis at some point, prbly early next year..." after getting them its now "come in tomorrow for the screening". :o

Would have been nice had the docs at that time mention to us the fractures in my spine that are mentioned in this report. My doc's down here in TN are so much more caring then what I have seen up there. I got the impression from my doc that she could have diag'd celiac disease back in '94 had she been my doctor then! Think of all the damage and trouble I could have been spare... then again I probably would not have listen at that age LOL. Teenagers are immortal! LOL

I hope that osteoporosis is not an issue with me, but if it is , anyone know anything about the treatment?

I have osteopoenia, but I'm only 24. I was on a prescription level Calcium supplement for awhile. I know I am due for another bone scan, and if things get worse I assume that I'll need to go on Actonel or Fosamax. I've heard about some not-so-great side effects with these drugs however, and I'm sure your doctor will be able to counsel you on your best options. Until then - do what I do (if you can tolerate it): lots of yogurt, and Rainbow Light calcium with D.

Good luck, let me know what your doctor decides to do.

- Lauren

Where do you live in TN? I live in Knoxville, TN. Just curious. What is your health like now?

Monica

As it says under my son picture on every post, Nashville :P:P

I guess slowly getting better hard to tell with this stupid cold I got :(

I have osteopoenia, but I'm only 24. I was on a prescription level Calcium supplement for awhile. I know I am due for another bone scan, and if things get worse I assume that I'll need to go on Actonel or Fosamax. I've heard about some not-so-great side effects with these drugs however, and I'm sure your doctor will be able to counsel you on your best options. Until then - do what I do (if you can tolerate it): lots of yogurt, and Rainbow Light calcium with D.

Good luck, let me know what your doctor decides to do.

- Lauren

So treatment is calicum and vit d suppliments?

vin-read this thread on osteo. scroll down to see posts and my experience with treatments etc:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11624

did your doc talk to you about options for treating your osteopenia? my mom had it. some docs may try and tell you to go on meds such as fosamax...but my rec is to not do so. since it is osteopenia and you are young, the drug will actually freeze your bone mass, so to speak, thereby freezing depletion, however it can also stop your chances of increasing your bone mass. instead of drugs initially, you can try other things to increase mass, limit alcohol and caffeine (which can deplete bones), start doing weight bearing exercises and begin taking a calcium supplement every day, if you aren't. docs wanted to put my mom on fosomax, she is in her 50s, and she refused. they told her she wouldn't reclaim any bone mass, esp. at her age...BUT she has been working out, lifting weights, taking a supplement, and has increased her bone mass, and is testing okay now. so, it can be done... there's my treatise on bones!!

Intresting, dunno if I can give up coffee! But I bascily dont drink, been years since my last "adult beverage", just not somthing I do much. :)

well, maybe you could 'sneak' a decaf every once in a while. (since they still can have a measure of caffeine). but i'm not endorsing that! :) if you're like my dad, you won't give it up...he is supposed to give up coffee, has barret's espophagus etc., but for christmas he wanted a cappuccino maker. go figure!

well, maybe you could 'sneak' a decaf every once in a while. (since they still can have a measure of caffeine). but i'm not endorsing that! :) if you're like my dad, you won't give it up...he is supposed to give up coffee, has barret's espophagus etc., but for christmas he wanted a cappuccino maker. go figure!

Decaf has liek 4mg of cafine, you get more from a hersey's bar. :P I might learn to like decaf...ugh! :(

particularly for celiacs, magnesium is VITAL for bone formation, and most people don't get enough (healthy diet or not). most doctors overlook it as well. (there are studies - I use pubmed.com - that show that magnesium supplementation is more important, by far, than calcium supplementation in celiacs in order to increase bone density.) weight bearing exercise is also very important, as it provides the stimuli that tells the body to grow more bone than it takes down.

Wonder how likly it is that I have osteoprosis. I have had cronic back pain as far back as I can remember... I hope its not likly! Last thing I need is another label! :mellow:

I was dx'ed w/ osteoporosis 5 yrs ago (@55 yrs old, male). At the time I was referred to an Endocrinologist who prescribed Calcitonin plus a 600mg calcium supplement. It improved my density by about 5% in one yr. At the end of the yr he thought perhaps Fosamax would do better, so he changed me to it and I've been taking it ever since along with the calcium supplement. However, I've had no further increase in bone density. As other posters have said, Fosamax can have some bad effects; it's a new drug so complications are probably not fully recognized(Actonel is in the same category). Plus once you take it, it is incorporated into your bones and remains there essentially forever. I now wish I had never changed to it. I would definitely advise asking your dr about Calcitonin and trying to avoid Fasamax.

Also I agree with Tarnalberry about magnesium being equally as important as calcium. There is also some studies that show zinc is also a key to denser bones.

George