This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bones and celiac disease

Zodako

Zodako Rookie

Hello all people :) 

today I am here to ask for one question 

i have been gluten free but, i always see that my bones are weak and thin and lately i have pain randomly on my bones ( hands , legs etc) Despite  that all of my vitamins levels are in normal range . Last time i went for a walk with friends i got extreme pain while others are normal also i went to a club did some dancing the next day I am in pain all around my bones ( I am 23 years old ) 

do you recommend that i do bone density check or I am too young to get osteopenia  or osteoporosis?   

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

No, you are not too young to get osteoporosis.  It is common in those with celiac disease.  However, most young people can recover that bone loss on a gluten free diet.  If you have been gluten free for at least 3 months, it might be time to get your antibodies re-checked to help determine if you are dietary compliant.  Your doctor can determine if you should have a bone scan.  He can also rule out other possible issues.  

I have osteoporosis and have had fractures as a result of celiac disease.  I had bone pain before my diagnosis.  It was primary in my hips and rib cage.  It resolved with exercise, hormone replacement and a good gluten-free diet.  I have not experienced another fracture in more than five years.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

For some reason I could not edit my post.  I wanted to include a link about follow up testing:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-often-should-follow-up-testing-occur/

I also wanted to let you know my bone pain was not severe.  Your doctor might want to screen you for rheumatoid arthritis.  I am not sure what you mean by being able to see that your bones are weak and thin, unless you are like Superman and have X-ray vision!  ?

pikakegirl Enthusiast

I was diagnosed at 39 and had a Dexa scan which was normal thankfully. Many things can cause bone loss or bone pain. A hormone panel would help to see if there are any issues there. K2 can be low for celiac and it is essential in bone health as is calcium and D3. They all work together. Checking your CRP can determine your body inflamation level. A rheumatologist can do more extensive tests for autoimmune issues. Also check your thyroid levels. Studies I have read say celiac disease can lead to the autoimmune system attacking the thyroid. I was diagnosed with hashimoto's 10 years before they finally found Celiac though I had been hospitalized with GI distress at the time. Hypo and hyper thyroid can cause strange symptoms. 

Posterboy Mentor

Zodako,

Pikakegirl, has given you good advice. .. the good news your Vitamin D and Vitamin K levels usually get better after a year of going gluten free.

Here is research in children about this topic.

https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/celiac-disease-gluten-intolerance-research/celiac-disease-vitamin-d-and-k-levels-influence-bone-mineral-density-in-children-and-teens-r2233/

I had similar problems in my late 20s. ... taking Magnesium Citrate really helped me.

You should also look into Manganese ... it is important for strong tooth enamel and bone density.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12011-008-8119-6

And you should consider taking a B-complex. .. here is research about Niacinamide therapy now forgotten first discovered by William Kaufman for Arthritis in the 50s'.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306987798907927

I hope it is helpful but it is not medical advice but taking Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Manganese, Magnesium and a B-complex helped me with my early onset Arthritis symptom's. ..... my joints used to creak and pop  and my shin splints would act up but this Vitamin/Mineral regimen helped me.   I have posted the research so you can research them for yourself.

2 Tim 2:7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

Posterboy by the Grace of God,

Archived