This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

GI issues and living with other people

SadAndSick

SadAndSick Rookie

Hello everyone,

I'm still in the trial and error process of Dx and stuff, and I also still live with quite a few symptoms that make life difficult. What I find most problematic now is dealing with BM problems (constipation, diarrhea) and/or gas while living with roommates. I am a young adult who cannot yet afford her own studio/apartment and I am rarely alone.

The walls are thin and this means unfortunately that I have to constantly hide the very noticeable issues I'm having, more or less successfully. I find myself having to turn on the shower while on the toilet, just to avoid the whole neighbourhood knowing the intricacies of my issues. And sometimes it doesn't work: e.g. a clogged toilet from super huge stools that I haven't been able to pass in 3 days... It's very awkward, and I can't help but feel ashamed and weirdly "gross" for having problems like that, that nobody I've lived with experienced.

Does anyone have tips and ideas to cope with this? My relationship with my roommate isn't great so I can't really talk about things, and lack the $$$ to move out just yet. I've tried sometimes going to public restrooms/elsewhere on the way back home, but I'm tired of feeling like I can't use my own bathroom at times.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 hours ago, SadAndSick said:

Hello everyone,

I'm still in the trial and error process of Dx and stuff, and I also still live with quite a few symptoms that make life difficult. What I find most problematic now is dealing with BM problems (constipation, diarrhea) and/or gas while living with roommates. I am a young adult who cannot yet afford her own studio/apartment and I am rarely alone.

The walls are thin and this means unfortunately that I have to constantly hide the very noticeable issues I'm having, more or less successfully. I find myself having to turn on the shower while on the toilet, just to avoid the whole neighbourhood knowing the intricacies of my issues. And sometimes it doesn't work: e.g. a clogged toilet from super huge stools that I haven't been able to pass in 3 days... It's very awkward, and I can't help but feel ashamed and weirdly "gross" for having problems like that, that nobody I've lived with experienced.

Does anyone have tips and ideas to cope with this? My relationship with my roommate isn't great so I can't really talk about things, and lack the $$$ to move out just yet. I've tried sometimes going to public restrooms/elsewhere on the way back home, but I'm tired of feeling like I can't use my own bathroom at times.

I mentioned in your other post about using Natural Vitality Calm to pass more regularly, trying a lower carb diet and avoiding diary, soy, and things that might cause gas could be useful.

Might try a radio, shower combo and just say you like to listen to music when you shower (I turn on music when I shower). I know many people me included that will sometimes need to use the bathroom during or after a shower, the warm water helps you relax so scheduling your shower around bathroom breaks might make it easier...if anything your room mate might just think your a clean freak.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Sad,

welcome to the forum. 

A few suggestions. 

For toliet issues consider

keeping extra toilet paper in your bedroom closet (so your not accused of using more than your share)

Make yourself a mini plunger set up also possible kept in closet you can bring in on a big stool day ( a bathroom size plastic garbage can with a plunger inside ) 

After the bm if large or large quantity of softer stool do one flush to get the bm down, then do the tp wipe/ clean up of self. 2 separate flushes sometimes helps. Sometimes the Low flush toilets are not forgiving to celiacs. I once sheepishly had to tell a dear childhood friend i clogged her toilet as there was no plunger anywhere i searched . ? she graciously said oh yes low flush does often do that. So kind. 

Get maybe a little basket carry all for extra tp , the radio (Ennis said), some candles , Lysol spray clean and scent?, or poo pourri spray

Ennis said up the magnesium if you have constipation like bm I agree ?

Also a nice warm cup of water, warm water with lemon, or acv  blend (like Dr axe) can some get things going- drink before consuming any food. Often times a follow up glass of plain water after helps too.

https://draxe.com/recipe/secret-detox-drink/

Good luck

We are here for you

SadAndSick Rookie

Thank you so much for your kind replies and advice. Had a few low days, and it feels good to come here and know that I am not alone. I appreciate your suggestions and help.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
12 hours ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

Also a nice warm cup of water, warm water with lemon, or acv  blend (like Dr axe) can some get things going- drink before consuming any food. Often times a follow up glass of plain water after helps too.

This brings up a odd thing I noticed about food/drink temperature and bowel habits. It started with me replacing  some meals with homemade dairy free and sugar free "icecream" I was making with nut butters, and vegan protein powders last year. I noticed a odd correlation I was getting more constipated and my system seemed to lock up. I then started drinking it as a hot porridge and found my digestion progressed smoother and bowl movements more regular.
Seems that your body sort of freezes and and focuses on warming hte food up to digest it and this can cause gastric dumping, and constipation issues.
Summary
Warm meals, and drinking warm beverage before and after a meal can promote digestion.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:21 AM, Ennis_TX said:

Warm meals, and drinking warm beverage before and after a meal can promote digestion.

Agreed. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, SadAndSick said:

Thank you so much for your kind replies and advice. Had a few low days, and it feels good to come here and know that I am not alone. I appreciate your suggestions and help.

Best wishes. Hang in there. May you get clarity soon. Then get busy healing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived