• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

squirmingitch

H.R. 2074: The Gluten in Medicine Disclosure Act of 2019

Rate this topic

EMAIL YOUR US REPRESENTATIVE TODAY IN SUPPORT OF THE GLUTEN IN MEDICINE DISCLOSURE ACT OF 2019

Please personalize the sample letter pasted below. Email this letter to
your local representative. A state-by-state directory is available at:

https://www.house.gov/representatives?fbclid=IwAR3eNMLYkKJCJ52NLkbcZ7wqwGf9NafcHq-p9ydg7RZpvFNuz5ezQhhSv5I

Here's a link to the bill:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/2074/all-info#cosponsors-content

Sample letter:

Cosponsor
H.R. 2074: The Gluten in Medicine Disclosure Act of 2019

Dear [Name of
your representative]:

According to the
Mayo Clinic, the rate of celiac disease has almost quadrupled over the past 50
years. Celiac disease is a serious, genetic autoimmune disorder in which
ingesting gluten causes damage to the villi of the small intestine. It affects
nearly 3 million people in the United States. In comparison, Alzheimer’s
disease affects approximately 2 million people. 

The only
treatment is the total elimination of gluten-containing products, including wheat,
barley, and rye sources. For some, failure to avoid these can lead to
life-threatening complications. Currently, this is nearly impossible to
determine the presence of gluten in prescription medicine. 

In 2004, the
Food Allergen Labeling Consumer Protection Act required packaged food labels to
identify all ingredients containing wheat and other allergens. This requirement
does not extend to prescription drugs. After repeated efforts to shed light on
this issue, the FDA released draft guidance in 2017 encouraging drug
manufacturers to disclose the presence of gluten. While some manufacturers have
taken this step, it has not been implemented consistently. This leads to
anxiety of not knowing whether or not your medicine is causing more harm than
good. 

That is why
Representatives Tim Ryan and Tom Cole introduced the Gluten in Medicine
Disclosure Act, which will make it easier to identify gluten in prescription
drugs. This legislation would require drug manufacturers to label medications
intended for human use with the list of ingredients, their source, and whether
gluten is present. A gluten-containing drug that does not meet these
requirements would be considered misbranded under Section 502 of the Federal
Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. This labeling will allow concerned consumers to
know, for example, if the starch in their prescription drugs comes from wheat
or corn. For the nearly 3 million Americans living with celiac disease, that
small distinction is an important one. 

Please join other
members in cosponsoring this important piece of legislation to make it easier
and safer for individuals with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity to make
informed purchases of needed medications. 

For more information or to cosponsor, please contact Rachel Jenkins (rachel.jenkins@mail.house.gov) in Congressman Ryan’s Office or Shane Hand (shane.hand@mail.house.gov) in Congressman Cole’s Office. 

Sincerely,

I did this a few days ago.  Thanks for posting.  

Please write your rep today!!!!

Thanks cyclinglady! I emailed mine 2 weeks ago but re-emailed again yesterday b/c he had not yet signed on & he's a DOCTOR! I will keep after him until he does. We need to keep on top of this & hound them about it. With the link to the bill; you can see who has signed on to co-sponsor it so you can keep track. We need to keep on them. This is NOT a partisan issue. It benefits ALL of us.

Please urge your friends & relatives to do this as well. 

Ugh!  My representative has not signed yet!  I will continue to purse him.  I know his office got the email.  Got back a lame email and a single survey question.  Maybe time to hit his local office.  

Mine hasn't either. It really tics me off b/c he only allows you to email him through his website & unless you take a screenshot of what you wrote, you have no record of the communication AND it also asks if you wish a reply to what you wrote him. I check YES, I do wish a reply. Well, this is what he considers a reply. I do not consider this a reply. It is only an acknowledgment of receipt of an email from me. It is NOT a reply addressing the issue I emailed about. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!1107559795_ScreenShot2019-05-15at12_57_17PM.png.76237fd2f89774f2b6a61407be105f51.png