• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Hello,

My doctor sent in a celiac blood panel for me, due to some symptoms of autoimmunity:

alopecia areata (one incident)

"mild" constipation

fatigue

pigmented purpura (purple spots of burst blood vessels)

general hair loss

reactions to supplements that boost immunity

red hands and feet

I also have hypothyroidism, but tested negative for Hashimoto's. 

My blood test just came pack with the following:

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum: 257 (normal)

(tTG) IgA : <2 (weak positive, ref range 0-3) 

Endomysial Antibody IgA: Negative (no reference range)

They have a positive test for tTG being from 4-10. What does weak positive mean? And what is the last result that I'm negative for?

This test was conducted through a nurse practitioner at a gynecology office, so I'm unsure of her knowledge on the subject. 

I don't have the classic symptoms of celiac like diahrrea and stomach pain. I've tried cutting out gluten in the past, and felt no difference in how I feel or energy.

I might not eat as much gluten as some though- I don't eat processed foods, everything I eat is homemade. Somedays I don't have any gluten at all, but on average I would say I eat the equivalent of two pieces of bread  day, and sometimes pasta. I made sure to eat a serving of gluten everyday for the two weeks before my blood panel.

Is a weak positive any cause for concern, especially with the negative result at the end there?

I'd appreciate any help!!!

Hi,

The University of Chicago celiac center recommends 12 weeks of eating gluten daily before the blood tests are done.  Two weeks of eating gluten is recommended before the endoscopy.  That time period is called a gluten challenge.

A weak positive is just that.  But if you weren't eating gluten regularly for 12 weeks it may have been a lower result than it could have been.  There other blood antibody tests they can do that may show a positive result.  They are the DGP IgA and DGP IgG.  Some people only test positive on one type of antibody but not on others.