This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Does Anyone Experience Stomach Pain When They Eat?

sillyyak

sillyyak Enthusiast

I have been on the gluten-free diet now for about 2 months. For the past two weeks, whenever I eat I get SEVERE pains in my stomach/small intestine followed by nausea. It is awful and makes me NOT want to eat. I know that I have been losing weight as well and this has been of concern to me. I have a m.d. appointment tomorrow. I wanted to know if anyone had this symptom - severe stomach pain - after starting the gluten-free diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenn2005 Contributor

My husband has Celiac and he has been on the gluten-free diet for about 2 1/2 months now and he also gets nausea and upset stomach after eating. We are very careful and have a gluten-free house so I'm assuming its all part of the Celiac. His isn't exactly severe pain its more of a rumbling stomach ache but if he does get an accidental glutening somewhere he has had stomach pains. He used to have severe nausea but now it comes and goes. Sometimes he goes a few days at a time without having it. Good luck at your appointment tomorrow.

Jennifer

Ursa Major Collaborator

I sometimes get awful stomach pains. My stomach was very inflamed just before I figured out what the problem was. I found that taking sepia (a homeopathic remedy found in the health food store) helped with the stomach ache (its supposed to help with inflammation anywhere). I take six of the little pills under my tongue (30C strength), and sometimes repeat that after a few hours, and it usually takes care of the stomach ache within a few minutes.

What I also found is that when my intestines started healing, that I have a lot of other intolerances, which were causing stomach upsets. When my intestines weren't really absorbing things, it also wasn't absorbing the things that were making me sick after the gluten wasn't a problem any more.

You might need to look at testing (or experimenting) for other intolerances/allergies. Almost all people with Celiac disease have other allergies as well.

MACE Rookie
I have been on the gluten-free diet now for about 2 months. For the past two weeks, whenever I eat I get SEVERE pains in my stomach/small intestine followed by nausea. It is awful and makes me NOT want to eat. I know that I have been losing weight as well and this has been of concern to me. I have a m.d. appointment tomorrow. I wanted to know if anyone had this symptom - severe stomach pain - after starting the gluten-free diet?

I GET BAD STOMACH PAIN IF I EAT GLUTEN MY MISTAKE IN SOMETHING. IT WILL ALSO MAKE ME WANT TO THROW UP,BUT DO NOT AS OF YET.

jenvan Collaborator

After a month or two of being gluten-free, I began to experience horrible abdominal pain after eating. I had never really experienced this before going gluten-free, so it was a bit of a mystery. I explored several possibilities with my doctors--like gallbladder disease or stones and spincter of Oddi dysfunction. After several more months the pain went away. Not really sure what it was--could have been spincter of Oddi or inflammation that gradually healed. At the time I also kept a food journal to see if the pain was tied to certain foods--you may want to examine this as well. I also get unexplained pain cked out my a doctor if it lingers.

Lovinglife Rookie

I encourage you to document what you're eating when the pains arise. Perhaps it is a complication with having been glutened previously or it's something that you're eating now. I definitely would experience abdominal pains while I was glutening and not glutening myself for the past four year. So, I can relate to the symptoms. I hope that these symptoms clear up soon. Hold your head up. :)

Moongirl Community Regular

I was just about to post on the same subject when i saw yours. I too have been gluten-free for just over a month now, and my stomach was ok in the first month, but all of a sudden last night after dinner i have severe stomach cramps for about 10 mins, then it just kind of went away?? For the rest of the night i really didnt feel back to normal, stomach was still crampy but not as bad. Im not really nauseas, but i dont have much of an appeitite. Is this all part of the healing process?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Moongirl--the pain you described is a lot like what I had in the first few months, especially. I would feel it while eating a meal as well as after. I thought it was just that my intestinal tract was healing after years of damage, and it made sense to me that this would happen. It became less frequent as time went on, and I rarely get it anymore.

Moongirl Community Regular
Moongirl--the pain you described is a lot like what I had in the first few months, especially. I would feel it while eating a meal as well as after. I thought it was just that my intestinal tract was healing after years of damage, and it made sense to me that this would happen. It became less frequent as time went on, and I rarely get it anymore.

Thanks for the info, i figured as much that it was related to that...did you take/do anything to ease the pain? i was burping a lot afterwards too, lol. might have been a lot of gas floating around down there...

jerseyangel Proficient

No, I never took anything for it. I still get the upper ab. gas--it seems to be trapped there. I never belched/burped before I went gluten-free. I find it interesting that I do all the time now.

dlp252 Apprentice

Very timely thread! I've been having pains in the upper abdominal area for a few weeks now...thanks for all the information!

carriecraig Enthusiast
I find it interesting that I do all the time now.

jerseyangel, I do all of the time also. More so then my husband. ;) And sometimes, it really comes out of nowhere and surprises me. My reaction really makes my husband laugh - he always says, "you really can't act surprised anymore." LOL

lizzy Apprentice

hi i had the same problem but since i already had suffered with gratitus before i knew that it felt the same and the doctor put me back on an anti acid blocker which i still take to help with the problem

Archived