This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Atypical DH in a 7yo celiac?

Georgiasmom

Georgiasmom Newbie

This small patch of bumps showed up on the elbow of my 7yo celiac daughter a couple weeks ago. It has not changed, and she doesn't complain of any itchiness or pain. It's in a clear cluster and it's the only place on her body that she has this. However, looking back, we are realizing that its arrival coincided with increasing incidences of stomach pain. We are now pretty convinced she is getting glutened somewhere, as her symptoms seem to be worsening.  We are working to even further minimize cross-contamination in the home and have stopped going out to eat. 

Does anyone think this rash might be early or mild DH?

IMG_6641.webp

IMG_6636.webp

IMG_6638.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran
9 minutes ago, Georgiasmom said:

This small patch of bumps showed up on the elbow of my 7yo celiac daughter a couple weeks ago. It has not changed, and she doesn't complain of any itchiness or pain. It's in a clear cluster and it's the only place on her body that she has this. Does anyone think this rash might be early or mild DH?

I would not suspect this as being early or mild dh. This is the only place she has this, it is not bilateral, it has not changed in a couple of weeks, it doesn't itch & there is no pain, it is not fluid filled (water filled blisters).

Georgiasmom Newbie
Just now, squirmingitch said:

I would not suspect this as being early or mild dh. This is the only place she has this, it is not bilateral, it has not changed in a couple of weeks, it doesn't itch & there is no pain, it is not fluid filled (water filled blisters).

Agreed except that each bump does appear to be fluid filled...it's probably not coming through on the pictures.

kareng Grand Master

I have gotten something like this .  And my cat and my husband.  We traced it to Oak mites.  The cat and I sit on the screened porch and they come thru the  screen  from the neighbor’s Oak tree.  In our case, they are very itchy.  

I guess my point is- probably not dh.  There are so many annoying rashes in the world.  

squirmingitch Veteran
11 minutes ago, Georgiasmom said:

Agreed except that each bump does appear to be fluid filled...it's probably not coming through on the pictures.

Still, it just doesn't fit the MO for dh. If it starts itching, stinging, burning & the rash appears on the other arm in the same place then you can start wondering if it's dh.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree, probably not DH.  

I would say it is like vesicles which can be due to things like allergic reactions, chicken pox, shingles (way to young!)

https://www.healthline.com/health/vesicles

Georgiasmom Newbie

Thank you for your responses- I wish I could figure out what this is. The thought that it was DH occurred to me bc it is vesicular and also came out when she started having more frequent stomach pains. We will just keep an eye on it for now!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

While, it might not be DH, it could still related to active celiac disease.  There are all kinds of various skin issues related with celiac disease.  For example, I get hives when I have a gluten exposure.  That did not occur until after my diagnosis.  I do have Hashimoto’s so my doctors are not sure what to blame the hives on, but they are confident it is autoimmune related.  

https://www.verywellhealth.com/celiac-disease-gluten-sensitivity-linked-to-skin-issues-563126

I would be more concerned about tummy aches.  Maybe time to keep a journal.  She might have developed an intolerance or gluten could be sneaking into her diet (avoid eating out for a while).  

When I was first diagnosed, I was getting intestinal pain.  I knew the diet as my hubby had been gluten-free for 12 years before me.  Turns out I can not tolerate Xanthan Gum found in gluten-free commercial breads.  I make my own goodies using Pamela’s flour which contains another “gluten” substitute.  I can eat a little of it now every once in a while if I am traveling, just not daily.  

Edited by cyclinglady