Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest BERNESES

Did Anyone Need To Decrease Meds After Going gluten-free?

Guest BERNESES

Totally- it was always the sensitive kid, sensitive stomach but when I think back to all the things that made me sick it was like fried chicken, pancakes, donuts. Duh!

I know--my family is Italian, and every Sunday (and Thurs.) we would have pasta. Shortly after dinner, I would always have to go to the bathroom. I thought it was normal since that's what always happened. Funny how, especially when we're young, we adapt to things like that. It's only looking back that I can see that it wasn't. Normal.

Patti-

Uh, I would love to able to stop by clarinex ! Hopefully....

Jen--I haven't used it in quite a while now. Lately, though, my eyes have been very itchy. Am toying with having allergy testing done. The problem is--I don't know if it's from food intolerance or some other allergy. I may just try Claritin again and say to heck with it!

I've only been eating gluten-free for less than two weeks, but my energy has skyrocketed. I don't know that much about the whole gluten issue yet, but I know a great deal about depression meds. I've always needed a low dose to get out of bed and do the natural things that improve my mood, like exercise. I've had a lot of trouble with being tired from anemia, so that has made me depressed at times.

My recent mood has been great since I've had more energy because I can exercise more, and I drink less coffee and get better sleep. So in that sense I think the diet will affect what meds I take. (I take a lot)

Hi Everyone- I'm wondering how many people if any, needed to cut down on depression meds (or any meds) after going gluten-free because their bodies actually started absorbing them? I'm on Celexa 60 mg and I was on 3 mg of klonopin for anxiety. Within a few months of going gluten-free I cut my klonopin down to 2 mg (very gradually). I've noticed that for the last six months or so I have been VERY VERY tired and I'm wondering if cutting down the klonopin a tad more is the answer. I've gained back all the weight I lost (20 pounds) so clearly I'm absorbing something. My doctor told me that if you're on too much it can have the effect of making you tired, depressed and irritable (which is why we initially dropped the dose slowly). Thanks much, B

I was actually able to go off all my anti-depressants. I was on 80 mg Prozac, 60 mg Cymbalta and 170 mg Doxepin and was told I'd be on for life. I now know I wasn't absorbing any nnutrients due to malabsorption and needed the B vitamins, Folic acid, Selenium and 5-HTP. I've had no problems or recurrences of clinical depression. Definitely consult your MD before changing doses or weaning, though.

I was able to go off my meds completely (except insulin). I was on 80 mg Prozac, 60 mg Cymbalta and 170 mg Doxepin. The reason being malabsorpton prevented me from absorbing the nutrients needed to produce Serotonin in the first place. I take the B vitamins, Folic acid, selenium and 5-HTP-which makes serotonin. Always consult with your MD before med adjustments, esp. anti-depressants-but know it has been done successfully. :D

Guest BERNESES

Michelle- That's awesome! I talked to my doctor and I am slowly cutting down. Before going gluten-free I was on 3 mg klonopin for anxiety, now I'm down to 1.5. That will be the first one we work on eliminating and then we'll see. It's crazy because I have been on some SERIOUS medications too (risperdal, neurontin). Now I'm down to celexa and klonopin and so far, knock on wood, things are going smoothly.