This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms with other food intolerances

Corinne D.

Corinne D. Contributor

For those of you who have other food intolerances in addition to gluten: What are your symptoms when you - accidentally or willingly - have one of the foods you're intolerant to? Are they the same symptoms you get when glutened? Do they depend on how much you've had? How long after eating that food do symptoms develop? Is it the same length of time as with gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Food intolerances can be hard to distinguish from active celiac disease (or a gluten exposure).  

For me, a food intolerance will resolve within a day or so with abdominal pain, diarrhea, body aches, fatigue.   A gluten exposure will last weeks or months.  Digesting anything (even if gluten free) can be painful for a few weeks.  It is why I am forced to consume soups and mushy stews at every meal,    The last time I had a true gluten exposure, I also developed autoimmune hives that covered my entire body for six months, my thyroid antibodies were very elevated as were my DGP IgA antibodies (off the charts).    Vomiting and passing out is common with me when exposed to gluten.  

An intolerance can also trigger my Rosacea.  Within 24 hours my face will redden, itch and break out.  Gluten never has triggered my Rosacea.  

In the beginning, I thought I was getting gluten exposures that were not affecting my gluten-free husband.  Turns out I can not tolerate Xanthan Gum found in most commercially processed gluten-free foods.  Keeping a food journal was very helpful in identifying intolerances.  

Allergies are easier to distinguish. They cause swelling, itching, hives, sneezing, and a drop in blood pressure.   I avoid my known allergens which include animals, grasses, trees, bug bites, and many medications.  Healed from Celiac disease, my IgE allergies are greatly reduced.  Medications are the only things that have caused anaphylactic reactions.  

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

I have issues with cow milk and corn .

There are some similarties , but some unique differences for me- symptom wise.

Both cause muscle aches and back pain for me. Joint issues as well. Cow milk can cause my GI tract to come to a screeching hault. 

Corn  causes my GI tract to feel like it unzips . Corn starch in particular can cause internal itching within my nipple. I had this symptom younger but never knew what it was. I was initialled told it was puberty or contact dermatitis reaction to soap. Years back the team that helped me determine the gluten intolerance helped me with food elimination diet and the corn starch thing was unequivocally determined .

Anything that my body hates can trigger flushing of my face and upper chest. During food elimination process any item even gluten-free without corn or milk that I react this way to I removed. I also have twitchy mast cells ( they do not consider me MCAS) but I get symptoms of it. My immune cells that get triggered feel like tiny explosions of heat, energy, and pain. These food are removed too.

I get these symptoms and many more with gluten. Gluten I get nausea and additional gi symptoms brain fog/ataxia etc neuropathy etc. I have far more symptoms with gluten.

Good luck.

Patty harrigan Apprentice

I too vomit and pass out and then get hypothermic. This ha only happened 2 hrs after eating out. I’m extremely careful and rarely eat out so my episodes have been 2 yrs a part. I am being told by a celiac doctor, allergist etc that this is not a celiac reaction. I am currently being tested for other food allergies as the doctors I have seen think this is an anaphylactic response. There is no common denominator in the foods I ate out other than reaction starts 2 hrs after only eating out. Anybody out there have thoughts? I’m very interested to see if others have this reaction and what they’ve been told to do or what causes this severe reaction? I’m not convinced that this isn’t a celiac reaction. I’ve been told to use an epipen.

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, Patty harrigan said:

I too vomit and pass out and then get hypothermic. This ha only happened 2 hrs after eating out. I’m extremely careful and rarely eat out so my episodes have been 2 yrs a part. I am being told by a celiac doctor, allergist etc that this is not a celiac reaction. I am currently being tested for other food allergies as the doctors I have seen think this is an anaphylactic response. There is no common denominator in the foods I ate out other than reaction starts 2 hrs after only eating out. Anybody out there have thoughts? I’m very interested to see if others have this reaction and what they’ve been told to do or what causes this severe reaction? I’m not convinced that this isn’t a celiac reaction. I’ve been told to use an epipen.

Have your doctors check for Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, which is still pretty new and not well known (not an IgE response, but similar in terms of symptoms).    It can be extreme or mild.   My triggers are insect bites and medications like ibuprofen.  

Also celiac disease falls under hypersensitivity.  They can be linked.  If I am exposed to gluten, it can trigger other sensitivities.  

https://www.amboss.com/us/knowledge/Hypersensitivity_reactions

Vasovagal syncope episodes are common for me.  Pain, or extreme heat can trigger one.  (Like abdominal pain).  I am the Queen of Fainting!  But I have been this way since I was a kid so if fainting is new for you, get checked by a doctor.  

Edited by cyclinglady