Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
mikemcm22

Sports Injuries/ Vitamin Deficiencies

Rate this topic

Hello, 

So I am 25 yo male, 4 months gluten free. I was wondering if anyone had crazy injuries for years and recovered after going gluten free for a while? I was a cross country runner in college so I expect part of it to happen eventually be that but I did not think it would be this bad so soon. I can't run or lift very much without issue, but I am listening to my body and not doing much now. My nutritionist (just went to one for the first time) said based on my diet she though it could be related to vitamin/mineral deficiencies (mainly D, Ca,iron). Never been been tested for these vitamin deficiencies. Was wondering if anyone had a similar experience?   

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It is me again!  

About testing for vitamin deficiencies.  Very important!  It is the standard of care for celiacs.  My PCP orders an annual panel at my annual check-up.  

https://www.beyondceliac.org/research-news/new-celiac-disease-guidelines-emphasize-follow-up-care/

Take time to heal, not just your gut, but the rest of you too.  I went undiagnosed for so long that I had some pretty severe damage.  Two months after my diagnosis, I fractured a few vertebrae doing nothing.  I was diagnosed with osteoporosis.  Now, I am old, so building bone can be hard to do, but my research indicates that young people spring back quickly on a gluten free diet.  So , no worries for you if you stick to a gluten-free diet.  

Yes, I have had bouts of tendinitis (am a runner too).  This is a different topic, but avoid antibiotics called fluoroquinolones.  These drugs have a black box warning because they cause ruptured tendons.  

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-updates-warnings-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-risks-mental-health-and-low-blood-sugar-adverse

I found out about these years ago after I was dealing with tendinitis and weird neuropathies.  Not saying this is your problem, but it is good to weigh the risks and benefits of drugs.  

This is another reason, you should take it easy while healing.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

4 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

It is me again!  

About testing for vitamin deficiencies.  Very important!  It is the standard of care for celiacs.  My PCP orders an annual panel at my annual check-up.  

https://www.beyondceliac.org/research-news/new-celiac-disease-guidelines-emphasize-follow-up-care/

Take time to heal, not just your gut, but the rest of you too.  I went undiagnosed for so long that I had some pretty severe damage.  Two months after my diagnosis, I fractured a few vertebrae doing nothing.  I was diagnosed with osteoporosis.  Now, I am old, so building bone can be hard to do, but my research indicates that young people spring back quickly on a gluten free diet.  So , no worries for you if you stick to a gluten-free diet.  

Yes, I have had bouts of tendinitis (am a runner too).  This is a different topic, but avoid antibiotics called fluoroquinolones.  These drugs have a black box warning because they cause ruptured tendons.  

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-updates-warnings-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-risks-mental-health-and-low-blood-sugar-adverse

I found out about these years ago after I was dealing with tendinitis and weird neuropathies.  Not saying this is your problem, but it is good to weigh the risks and benefits of drugs.  

This is another reason, you should take it easy while healing.  

Thank you!