Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tiredofdoctors!!!

Just Had Appt With Dietician

Lynn -- glad you had good luck!

I have a thought. I wish some how we could get a copy of Dangerous Grains & The Palio Diet to the health care community. I don't have an answer how to get them to read the book(S). But next time I have the need to go, I'll ask if they read either book.

Join eNewsletter

I gave both my neuro docs handouts of things that I had downloaded with regard to Celiac affecting solely the brain (since that's my problem). I sat there while I made them read it! I gave it to them, then started pointing out things that I wanted them to specifically see. I also wrote down Peter Green's book -- and told them that it was a worthwhile read for them. My one doc actually got it! I've gotten to the point that I'm pretty hard-headed at the doctor. If I'm going to pay the kind of money that I have to pay for a 10 minute appointment, by golly they're going to at least pay attention to what I have to say!

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

Join eNewsletter

You're welcome -- we HAVE to educate these physicians. I'm sure that mine now think that I'm a B*****, but I just don't care. Ignorance is not bliss when you are a physician. I guess, regardless of what it takes, mine are going to become informed. I will not allow them to continue to keep stabbing in the dark. This is my LIFE they're talking about -- not just some sports game or a new car they're looking at. They're going to put as much effort into researching my disease as they do researching the newest car they're going to purchase!!! It did make my one neuro get off his butt and do the genetic testing that I needed! I told him that my father was willing to use his frequent flyer miles to send me to England to participate in their research projects. Evidently that was a little threatening to him, so he said, "haven't we dont genetic testing on you???" I told him that he hadn't even done the HLA DQ2 & 8. He said, "I'm sorry, I thought that we had done a full genetic work-up." Yeah, right. At any rate, it got the ball rolling. I guess if you're a squeaky wheel, you really do get the grease!

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

Join eNewsletter

Hello,

The dietician I spoke with knew less than I did ( I was so frustrated) and I had to research it all for myself. I'm glad you had a good experience. Did your dietician say anything about chewing gum? What about splenda? I can't seem to find anything on these and celiac.

I was diagnosed last May. Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,

Trinity

Join eNewsletter

I have ordered a new list, it's an entire book -- it will have all the chewing gums, etc. which are gluten-free. I know that Splenda is gluten-free. Am considering purchasing the Clan Thompson list (you can get it for your PC, handheld, or both, and it has upgrades 3x/year) I'll check the lists I have right now, and let you know about the chewing gum. I know I've bought some, so I obviously have SOME listed!!!!! Talk to you soon . . . Lynne

Lynne

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter