Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slpinsd

Genetic Results

oops, was having computer troubles......didn't mean to double post...

Hi all! I just received my EnteroLab genetic analysis:

I have

HLA-DQB1*201, 0201

Does the above mean i have 2 copies of this gene? Later it says in parinthesis (HLA-DQ2). Is this the main one for Celiac? Does it make it more likely if you have both DQ2 and DQ8? Is one more likely than the other to cause celiac than gluten sensitivity? Are the genes for gluten sensitivity and celiac the same genes? What percentage of the general population has DQ2????

Thanks in advance for your medical wisdom.......

Kristen

You have 2 copies of DQ2, which is the main and most common gene for Celiac. It also means BOTH your parents carry at least one copy of this gene and if any of you have symptoms then you most likely are gluten intolerant and need to be on the gluten free diet.

Having two copies does not necessarily mean you would get sicker than someone with only one gene, it also doesn't mean that you WILL get sick from gluten. But since you do carry the genes you can get Celiac disease. And you are guaranteed to pass one gene on to any kids you have now or in the future. The knowledge of having these genes is a good thing. You already know you kids could have it and you can watch them for early symptoms. They will be healthier for it!