This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just A Funny Story

GlutenFreeAl

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

I wanted to share this with someone who could appreciate it...

So last night I was rummaging around in my kitchen cupboard for some chocolate chips I had hidden away for when I had a sweet craving. And you know what I found? A box of gluten! A whole box of it just open in my cupboard! Argh!

My mom gave my boyfriend her bread machine about a year ago and it turns out he bought the gluten to make wheat bread with. (I was eating wheat bread with him back in those days.)

So my reaction was to yelp and immediately throw the box in the garbage. I was like "There's an open box of gluten in the cupboard and it could jump out and into my food at any time!" This of course made my boyfriend laugh hysterically. <_<

I don't think I'm completely irrational about my fears of cross contamination. I mean, I let him have regular bread in the house. But that was just too much for me...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

OMG--that was too funny :D . It reminds me of when my husband and I are grocery shopping together and in the natural baking isle, there's always those packages of Vital Wheat Gluten. We have joked about how much damage that bag could do! As if it could jump off the shelf, hold me down and make me eat it :o And you're right--where else could you tell a story like that and know everybody would get it?

nikki-uk Enthusiast

Lol! :lol:

Since my husband was dx we've not had gluten in the house(cleared out the cupboards)- however our son is waiting for a biopsy(inconclusive bloods)

He unknowingly avoids bread cake,any gluten so I thought I would buy some plain wheatflour to stir into porridge and the like.

All the way home from the shop I was thinking 'please don't burst'!

When hubbie helped me unpack he freaked out when he saw the flour-to the cry of 'how could you!' :lol:

The offending article is now ina bag,in a tupperware box,in another bag......!

penguin Community Regular

LOL! :lol:

I had pretty much the same reaction to an *unopened* box of vital wheat gluten in my cabinet. I felt like I needed gloves to handle it! I tossed it in with all of the other glutenated stuff going to the food bank.

Wouldn't you know I got sick later that day? I think it jumped out and actually did attack me :o

I didn't share my story though, DH already thinks I'm nuts :ph34r:

elfkin Contributor

I had a simular experience when a friend offered to drive my son and I on an outing. We were chatting and laughing as we went to buckle the little guys in, and her carseat was full of cracker crumbs. I mean it was everywhere. I had leaned in to put him in the seat and almost fell over I snatched him back so quickly! "Your seat is full of poison!" I am very much afraid that I actually said that out loud (whoops!). She looked shocked, but we quickly started laughing and switched cars. :lol:

Guest BERNESES

That is hysterical! I would have freaked too. Did you know that seitan (actually pronounced almost like Satan :ph34r: is cooked pure gluten. My husband tried it once. Needless to say, I didn't kiss him for quite awhile. Ewwww!

plantime Contributor

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for sharing, all of you, I enjoyed the laugh!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast
:lol::lol: I went on a de-glutening rant after I was told that I HAD to be gluten-free. We have one little corner in the pantry (it used to be a whole shelf) that my husband can keep his gluten-filled "goodies" -- although now, he buys only the ones that are individually packaged! Thanks for a GREAT story! Lynne

Archived