Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gointribal

Help With The Scd Diet

I can't afford the book but I think this diet would really help me. I am in so much pain all the time. What can I eat during the intro and then what about after? I went to some of the website but I wasn't getting a clear answer, any help I could get would be really great. Thank you so much! Oh I noticed it said eat dairy, but I think i have problem with dairy but I don't know for sure, any ideas or will this diet help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can't afford the book but I think this diet would really help me. I am in so much pain all the time. What can I eat during the intro and then what about after? I went to some of the website but I wasn't getting a clear answer, any help I could get would be really great. Thank you so much! Oh I noticed it said eat dairy, but I think i have problem with dairy but I don't know for sure, any ideas or will this diet help?

Goin Tribal,

I just posted the links for you on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet thread.

The diet does not allow all dairy. Its very limited. The links I posted give specific info on what to eat.

Rachel

Forgive me if I'm being redundant--I'm not sure what you've posted Rachel, but here are some links below. The first is the legal/illegal food list for the SCD. The other 2 are info/recipes/sites etc. There are some good SCD veterans who can answer your questions in the future too. Good luck!

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/le...illegal_a-c.htm

http://www.scdrecipe.com/links.html

http://www.scdiet.org/

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

I'm going to start this soon myself. I've seen a lot of improvement since going gluten and casein free, but have still had problems with my digestion/intestines. I've had a slew of tests run, but they've all come back negative so far (except for the one for blood in my stool). My doctor has scheduled me for a colonoscopy because she thinks I may have an inflamed colon (not sure what exactly she called it), so I think this diet would really help. I did buy the book yesterday (at my local Barnes & Noble for $20.65), I haven't actually read the diet part yet though. Maybe your local library would have the book??

I've brought the book to work with me today, so if it's slow I should be able to get to the intro part...I'll post back anything I can find if someone doesn't post before then.

okay everyone, I'm going to get this book and begin this diet myself. I'm exhausted of trying to figure things out on my own and find doctors who can really help me. So what is the name and author? I'm going to run to Borders on my lunch break.

Wait, is it called, 'Breaking the vicious cycle' by Elaine Gottschall?

Thanks!

Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06

Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05

Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein

Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)

Any kind of additives or preservatives

okay everyone, I'm going to get this book and begin this diet myself. I'm exhausted of trying to figure things out on my own and find doctors who can really help me. So what is the name and author? I'm going to run to Borders on my lunch break.

Wait, is it called, 'Breaking the vicious cycle' by Elaine Gottschall?

Thanks!

"Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal HEalth Through Diet" by Elaine Gottschall

Shoot, nevermind. Answered my own question. Okay ladies, I'm going to join you on this!

Danielle (Dani)

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Casein

Thanks! I'm already looking at it and wondering, okay, I can't have breakfast, or lunch.......

I can't have eggs or dairy, what do we do then?

Danielle (Dani)

Casein

Yep, breakfast is my problem too. I can eat eggs, but I just don't like them much, so I'm going to try to make the coconut milk yogurt. Salton makes an inexpensive yogurt maker and it sounds easy enough to to. The hardest thing is the yogurt starter, but there is supposedly a dairy-free yogurt starter online. I'm also going to look at Whole Foods to see if they might carry one.

Yep, breakfast is my problem too. I can eat eggs, but I just don't like them much, so I'm going to try to make the coconut milk yogurt. Salton makes an inexpensive yogurt maker and it sounds easy enough to to. The hardest thing is the yogurt starter, but there is supposedly a dairy-free yogurt starter online. I'm also going to look at Whole Foods to see if they might carry one.

what is coconut milk made out of ? no casein, right? Where did you get the recipe? It's in the book? hahah, i know so many questions, I just need to buy the book I guess first. what if I just had the juice and water for breakfast the first few days, would that not work? I don't have too much time to make yogart right now and I want to start this A.S.A.P.

Danielle (Dani)

Casein

Actually this is not in the book...Nancy kind of made this up...here's a link to the instructions:

http://forums.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=287507

Coconut milk doesn't have casein...but you would need to look for one that doesn't have added ingredients, especially no sugar.

ETA: You could try some cooked fruit...don't ask me how, lol. I am no cook! :) Or in the book she mentions mashed banana (needs to be ripe with lots of little brown spots).

Actually this is not in the book...Nancy kind of made this up...here's a link to the instructions:

http://forums.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=287507

Coconut milk doesn't have casein...but you would need to look for one that doesn't have added ingredients, especially no sugar.

ETA: You could try some cooked fruit...don't ask me how, lol. I am no cook! :) Or in the book she mentions mashed banana (needs to be ripe with lots of little brown spots).

Thanks so much! I'm on my way out to get the book now! I'm excited! It seems like it really works and that makes my day!!

Danielle (Dani)

Casein

Do I have to make my own yoghurt? Can I just buy Dannons plain natural yoghurt? I am not sure if I can have milk products but I'm wondering if the lack of the different bacteria is what is causing me so much trouble. I am a full time college student I don't have time to make yoghurt :( help!

Coconut milk is coconut meat and water, that is all. I get a brand that is great from Trader Joe's.

what does it taste like? obiously not creamy like real milk.

Danielle (Dani)

Casein

Do I have to make my own yoghurt? Can I just buy Dannons plain natural yoghurt? I am not sure if I can have milk products but I'm wondering if the lack of the different bacteria is what is causing me so much trouble. I am a full time college student I don't have time to make yoghurt :( help!

No I don't think the store kind is okay, but I haven't actually started the diet yet, just bought the book a couple of days ago. Elaine's reasoning is that the store bought kind hasn't been fermented long enough. According to her it needs to ferment for at least 24 hours to make sure all the lactose is digested by the bacterial culture so that your intestine's cells don't have to.

Homemade yogurt is really pretty easy to make. I did it alot last year and it wasnt as much of a hassle as I thought it'd be. You cant eat store bought yogurt on this diet but you can use it as a starter for your homemade yogurt.

Rachel

neither do I , but I just read the safe and unsafe list and you can't have any commercial yogart! Annoying right? Well I can't have any dairy, and I can't make mine either because I work full time and go to school full time. So I'm going to just have juice and fish for the next few days until I get the book.

Danielle (Dani)

Casein

That's what I do too. So for the next few days, because of time and other intolerances, I'm going to live on broilded fish, water and welches grape juice. Do you guys think this will do until I can get the stuff for the yogart and make it? I don't have to have eggs and dairy right? Also, I have ground turkey meat. Can I eat that? I don't have my book yet. It should be coming in the mail by next Tuesday so I'll have to do without it and with your help for the next few days.

Danielle (Dani)

Casein

That's what I do too. So for the next few days, because of time and other intolerances, I'm going to live on broilded fish, water and welches grape juice. Do you guys think this will do until I can get the stuff for the yogart and make it? I don't have to have eggs and dairy right? Also, I have ground turkey meat. Can I eat that? I don't have my book yet. It should be coming in the mail by next Tuesday so I'll have to do without it and with your help for the next few days.

Yes, meat is fine. Eggs too. The thing to avoid is starches and anything with added sugar or corn syrup. The grape juice is all right as long as it has nothing added to it like sugar of high fructose corn syrup.