Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
2 2
lucymoab

Making Gluten Free Root Beer

Rate this topic

I have recently become interested in root beer after not having it for many years. However, the ingredients are problematic, so I decided to make my own. Some recipes have a kombucha-like fermentation process and some use Brewer's Yeast. I made the kombucha type but would like to try the beer type using brewers yeast because the kombucha style was not very fizzy. Some Brewer's Yeasts are taken as a supplement and inactive, ie no good for brewing. All of the active brewer's yeasts I have found are not gluten free. Does anyone know of a products that is an active brewer's yeast that is also gluten free? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Why not? It is brewer's yeast. I'll admit that I'm no expert on brewing root beer, however, I did spend ~3 years perfecting a malted sorghum/rice gluten-free beer back in the 90's. 

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

3 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

Why not? It is brewer's yeast. I'll admit that I'm no expert on brewing root beer, however, I did spend ~3 years perfecting a malted sorghum/rice gluten-free beer back in the 90's. 

From another gluten free site: "The term brewer’s yeast can refer to both the live yeast used to make beer and the spent yeast that is a by-product of the beer-brewing process." If you continue to Google here and there, you find out that only the live yeast can brew beer. Most brewers yeast sold is used as a supplement and is not active and cannot brew anything.