This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Job

Felidae

Felidae Enthusiast

I need some help. I start my new field job in May and I will have to do one week of training in a different city. The company (a non-profit company) is putting us up in a motel with meals. Because they are no-profit, they asked if we have friends or family in Calgary, that we should stay there (about 20 minutes away). They also asked if we have any allergies. I have a couple of choices, I could stay in the motel and bring a kettle, toaster, and cooler for the week and tell them I'll pay for my own food. Or I could commute from my parents place about one hour each way.

Also, how do I tell them I have celiac and also that I can't have dairy? I really don't want to start off on a bad foot. I'm really nervous because it's my first job in my field since I'm graduating at the end of this month. Basically, I want to make a good impression with few complications.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

They opened the door by asking if there was any allergies. You tell them you have severe

wheat, gluten, and dairy allergies. If they are paying for the meals, you will be able to find things to eat. You can find places to eat, like Moxies in Market Mall, Hi Ball at the Stadium Shopping centre across from the foothills hospital and perhaps get some muffins etc., at Community Natural Foods on 10 ave and 14 St. SW.

Deej Newbie

I agree with Rusla. Telling them about a health-threatening situation isn't starting off on the wrong foot, it's prudent and a reputable employer will respect you for it. I've been amazed and gratified that telling everyone has resulted in scores of people saying, "My neighbour/aunt/cousin/friend has that!" and with my co-workers doing as much as possible to make accommodations for my situation.

Good luck! It's exciting starting off in a new direction, isn't it?

Felidae Enthusiast

We'll be in Cochrane for that week of training and like I said they are non-profit so I think it would be motel food. I really don't want to get sick, that's why I thought bringing my own food might be better. It is field work so there won't be bathrooms only grasses and shrubs.

Thanks guys. It's just nerve wracking but also exciting to start a new job. I quit my job of eight years for this one, so it's a matter of adjusting to being out my comfort zone.

Hey, I just googled the motel and they have fridges and microwaves! Okay, I'm starting to relax.

corinne Apprentice

What kind of work do you do? I do a lot of fieldwork and it's nice not being in the office on a sunny day. :P

Felidae Enthusiast
What kind of work do you do? I do a lot of fieldwork and it's nice not being in the office on a sunny day. :P

I'll be graduating with a Conservation Biology major at the end of this month. It'll be great to be outside again for my job. Prior to getting married I always worked outdoors. It's been a long time. I think I'll be doing rangeland vegetation and wildlife monitoring.

How do you deal with field work and being a celiac?

Rusla Enthusiast

I would definitely take some food with you of course in the evening you might get a chance to come into the city.

I'll be graduating with a Conservation Biology major at the end of this month. It'll be great to be outside again for my job. Prior to getting married I always worked outdoors. It's been a long time. I think I'll be doing rangeland vegetation and wildlife monitoring.

How do you deal with field work and being a celiac?

Make sure you have stuff that won't give you the big D

. That sounds like a great job, I would love a job like that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

congrats on the new job. I haven't worked since the dx but I'd think the employers would appreciate your up front honesty so they know, YOUR TRYING TO PROTECT YOUR HEALTH SO THAT YOU WON'T HAVE SICK DAYS AND DAYS YOU CAN'T GIVE 100% TO YOUR JOB. THEN, if something does come up they'll know you have a 'great work ethic'

good luck

judy in philly

Felidae Enthusiast

Thanks for the support everyone. You're doing a great job at calming my nerves.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Dr. Corrie Materie, author of "No Wheat...No Problem!" lives in Cochrane. She's a chiropractor. Maybe you could call her office and make an appointment to talk Celiac and where to get food in Cochrane. If you're up front about the appointment being about Celiac and not an adjustment...who knows? Below is a link to a pdf info booklet about her.

Open Original Shared Link

Also, if you click on the link below, and then on the left click on something that says "local restaurants" another window comes up with a list of restaurants that have at least heard of gluten. Not sure if any are from Cochrane, but it couldn't hurt to look.

Open Original Shared Link

Good luck!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Linda, what a fantastic post. I did the print out too.

My chiropractor has been my 'guiding lite' through this gluten-free maze. My internist told me to do what ever she says to do as she knows more about the diet than he did.

they work together. I'm so lucky.

Dr. Meier, my chiropractor, came to my home on her day off and, "de-gultened' my house for me..the good foods for 'someone else' :lol: went home with her for her church 'food pantry' for those in need.

She's my healer and my ROCK.

Going to forward this thread to her. Maybe she even knows her??? Wouldn't that be a hoot.

judy in philly

ianm Apprentice

Your employer already asked the question so just answer it truthfully. They are obviously aware of the fact that some people have food issues or they would not have asked. To me it is a good sign if they are asking about it. Some people at my old job were kind of wierd about it because I worked with some real idiots. At my new job everyone knows and they don't care. I get the job done and that is all that matters to them.

Felidae Enthusiast

Thanks Linda for the info.

It is a good sign janm, but I'm just a chickens**t when it comes to having a new job. I know I'll be fine once I start, it's just nerves.

sasha1234 Newbie

Personally I think part of making a good impression is being honest, forthcoming and taking responsibility for yourself.

As much as some people are bothered by the hassle of allergies, most decent people feel so badly if they find out after-the-fact that you have been having to do extra without the benefit of their help. I know this is not the case with everyone! BUT, I've always found that it's best to give people the benefit of the doubt. Besides who knows, maybe someone else will be a celiac too!

But, If you have a microwave and a fridge you can totally cope. Sneak in an element and you're away to the races. Make sure you have lots of energy bars so that you have snacks on the field, we don't want you fainting!

Also, when I told the boss I'd also say that I was prepared (and had intended) to bring foods with me to supplement what I wasn't able to get (or whatever). You want it to look like you are a take charge person (which you are) and that you won't let your diet stop you from living. I know from experience that most people are impressed with my inability to eat anything but my ability to cope.

Good luck, it'll be tons of fun working in the foothills in the sun. Try to sneak some trips into the rocky's!

P.S -- Tomorrow's our last day of classes (and for you -ever) YAY! Good luck on your exams next week. I'll be the one in rutherford cramming ;)

Felidae Enthusiast
Also, when I told the boss I'd also say that I was prepared (and had intended) to bring foods with me to supplement what I wasn't able to get (or whatever). You want it to look like you are a take charge person (which you are) and that you won't let your diet stop you from living. I know from experience that most people are impressed with my inability to eat anything but my ability to cope.

That is exactly what I told my new boss. She knew what celiac was and was completely understanding with me wanting to provide my own meals. She even looked into finding me a room with a kitchenette. And I totally emphasized that it would not affect my work, that I am used to being very prepared.

I got glutened Thursday night and now I am desperately tring to cram for my exams. Once the D clears, I too will be in Rutherford. Good luck on your exams.

eKatherine Rookie

I travel with a small Japanese rice cooker and a sack of rice. I never have to worry about not finding something suitable to eat, as I can get a salad and have rice in a pinch. Also, you can boil an egg in a cup of water in a microwave, too.

Felidae Enthusiast
I travel with a small Japanese rice cooker and a sack of rice. I never have to worry about not finding something suitable to eat, as I can get a salad and have rice in a pinch. Also, you can boil an egg in a cup of water in a microwave, too.

That's a great idea. Thanks.

cultureslayer Rookie

I have a feeling when I travel it's going to be lots of rice and bean noodles and sauce. And salads with lunchmeat. And sushi. I can never eat too much sushi (I might rescend that statement after 3 months in Honolulu, but we will see).

Did you know that M&M mini containers are fairly waterproof? I bought a 24 pack at Sam's club so I can carry spices and dressing and what not with me when I travel.

Archived