This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help, I Have My Blood Test Results!

Aquina1300

Aquina1300 Rookie

Hello Everyone :D

I have my blood test results and I got a copy of the results.

For Celiac Disease, I was not diagnosed. An endoscopy was recommended and I didn't schedule it.

Antigliadin Abs,IgG was 16, Above 9 is positive (positive for what?)

Anticardiolipin was 11, (11-19 is inderterminate.)

t-Transblutaminase (tTg) IgA was 1 (Weak positive is 4-10)

Antifliadin Abs, IgA was 3 (0-3 is Negative).

I have no idea what to make of this.

I did not schedule the biopsy, should I?

Also, could this be related:

Chronic Anemia diagnosis made ( I had been diagnosed with intermittant Anemia a couple of years ago).

Hypothyroidism diagnosis made 10.5 (Greater than 10 is hypothyroidism) (two month prescription of Synthroid in effect as of tomorrow).

Please tell me what you think I should do?

The nurse told me that from now on it's out of my doctor's family practice. Where do I go now? What do I do?

Thanks!

Aquina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello Everyone :D

I have my blood test results and I got a copy of the results.

For Celiac Disease, I was not diagnosed. An endoscopy was recommended and I didn't schedule it.

I have no idea what to make of this.

I did not schedule the biopsy, should I?

Also, could this be related:

Chronic Anemia diagnosis made ( I had been diagnosed with intermittant Anemia a couple of years ago).

Hypothyroidism diagnosis made 10.5 (Greater than 10 is hypothyroidism) (two month prescription of Synthroid in effect as of tomorrow).

Please tell me what you think I should do?

The nurse told me that from now on it's out of my doctor's family practice. Where do I go now? What do I do?

Thanks!

Aquina

This is positive for celiac. Have you tried the gluten-free diet yet? You should.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Wow, your doctor sounds awfully caring! :angry: (NOT)

That makes me angry for sure! My doctor may be ignorant, but she actually cares.

Yes, the positive result is positive for Celiac disease. There is only one treatment, and that is the gluten free diet. And yes, chronic anemia is one of the most common, telltale signs of celiac disease. The other problems you have are also quite common.

If you want to have the biopsy, you need to stay on gluten for now, until you've had it. Personally, I don't think it's necessary, as the bloodwork plus diet response is enough as far as I am concerned. But everybody is different, and only you can make that decision for yourself.

If you don't care about a biopsy, you need to be 100% gluten free to get better. There is no other way.

By the way, going gluten free might fix your thyroid (I said might, as it might not). You could hold taking the medicine (unless you really need it) until you determine if being gluten free will fix the thyroid or not. But you would have to give it some time, even though you might feel a lot better soon, some things take longer to heal, as in months, not days.

I hope you will be able to figure it out!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
That is a positive blood test. I highly recommend scheduling the endoscopy. If you want to have the endoscopy, make sure that you don't start the gluten-free diet until after the test. Also, make sure that your doctor takes at least five biopsies. Villi damage can be sporadic and doctors can miss damage if only a few biopsies are taken from the small intestine.
jerseyangel Proficient

Aquina--Your tests do indicate Celiac--if you feel you would need a biopsy, stay on the gluten and schedule it now. Actually, you could just begin the gluten-free diet now, focus your energy on getting all of the gluten out of your life and begin healing/feeling better now. It's your decision, of course--good luck with everything :)

mmaccartney Explorer

Aquina

The Anti-Gliadin IgG test being positive is an indicator for celiac disease. It can also be an indicator of other (dont ask what, I don't know!) conditions as well. the IgG test is very sensitive, meaning it results in few false negative/positive results, however it is not very specific, meaning it could be positive for many conditions, not just celiac. The Anti-Gliadin IgA test is very specific to celiac, but it not very sensitive and can result in false positive/negative results. This is why they perform both tests, one is sensitive and one is specific. Show up positive on both and you are more than liekly celiac.

You showed positive for IgG only. This is an indicator in the direction of celiac disease. The next diagnostic tools could be a endoscopy with biopsy, a food diary / gluten-free diet trial, or enterolab.

The Endoscopy is benficial in that it is the "gold standard" for diagnosis. If you are still on a gluten diet, why not have it done now???

The food diary / gluten-free diet trial can be extremely helpful. Just keep track of everything you eat/drink or put on your body (lotions, shampoo, etc), and keep track of all your symptoms and reactions. It can be quite telling!

Enterolab is also an option (Open Original Shared Link) I had my final testing done there. Only my Anti-Gliadin IgA was positive, even the biopsy was neg. However my food diary told me gluten (and milk) were definite problems, and when I went gluten-free / CF the results were wonderful! I am going to have both of my children tested through them as I feel their tests are more sensitive, and accurate, and they offer genetic testing as well! I am waiting on my insurance company right now. They told me they would not cover my testing as I did not get a doctor to order it, but I sent it in to claims processing anyway, and I think they are actually going to pay for it!!! If they do, I will order the tests for my sons, if not we go see their pediatrician first!

good luck!

Nancym Enthusiast

You could get a false negative from the biopsy. If it were me, and it was at one point, I'd not bother with the biopsy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

I had similar celiac panel results, only IgG elevated, and the Dr just put me on the diet and said the endoscopy isn't necessary as it is invasive and may not show anything anyway. She said to try the diet for 3-6 mos, and if it helped, I was celiac. When I went back a few weeks later for the follow up, I told her what happened when I just had cc gluten exposure, and she dx'ed me Celiac on the spot. It's on my permanent record now (dammit).

You could go either way on this one, it's a personal decision. I believe a high IgG can also be an indicator of Chron's.

Good luck! :)

julie5914 Contributor

I'd get an endoscopy. With inconclusive blood results (one positive and one negative), I would want to know for sure. It could be something else, in which case you don't want to stop looking here.

Aquina1300 Rookie

Hello Everybody :D

Thank you all for your posts. This message board is really helping me through this. :D

Ursula, I have asked my Dr's nurse to check and see if hypothyroidism can be connected in someway to celiac disease. I did start taking the medication but I think I am supposed to get a lab appointment scheduled in two months to test for hypothryroidism again. I think that's what the nurse said but I'm not that clear on it because the nurse seemed more concerned about my borderline cholesterol level. (She gave me a huge packet of information and almost all of it was about Cholesterol and none of it was about celiac, anemia or hypothyroidism), I don't think my Dr was trying to be uncaring. My nurse made it seem that way because she had no idea what celiac is and basically ignored my questions. (She admitted she had never heard of it before and neither did I before my nephew was diagnosed). I wasn't able to see the Dr. about the results. Thank you so much for your post!!!!!!

Carriefaith - I also think it is best to get the endoscopy simply to confirm the blood test. Having celiac disease will be a major lifechanging event for me. Primarily, I don't know what I'll do for employment because right now, I bake bread. I think the more confirmation I have, the more likely I'll be able to get some assistance when I look for a new job when I go gluten free. Thank you for responding to my posts, I really appreciate it!!!!!

JerseyAngel - I would like to go glutenfree right now. Unfortunately, I'd have to quit my job (I bake bread) and I can't do that right now, at the very least, I need my employer to pay for some of the costs of healthcare. I'm somewhat scared. :unsure: Thank you for responding to me. I really mean it.

Maccartney - The food diary seems like a really good idea. :D I think I'm going to start one. What is an enterolob? How do I get one? I hope that your children are doing well and I'm sure they are because you seem to know what to do for them. :D

Nancym - I really do want to go gluten free right now, but I can't do that right now and hold onto my job ( I bake bread). I really want a gluten free diet to work for me but I'll have to leave my job if I try to do it right now and I don't know what to tell my manager. :unsure:

ChelsE - excellent point that my results may indicate something other than celiac and that an endoscopy might find something different. I think I'll tell whatever next dr type person that. Thank you for the insight :D

Julie - I think you're right. I don't want to focus so much on celiac disease that I miss something else.

Everyone, I have decided to have the endoscopy for a few different reason. I haven't scheduled it yet and I would really like your help in understanding the results.

Really, thank you so much for giving me all this advice, everyone. :D

Thanks!

Aquina

PS :ph34r: <------What is this supposed to be?

Archived