• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

BamBam

Another Question For Dairy Free

Rate this topic

Do I have to be careful of the ingredient sodium lactate? It is often found in lunch meats/cold cuts.

Mr BamBam

Do I have to be careful of the ingredient sodium lactate? It is often found in lunch meats/cold cuts.

Mr BamBam

Acording to the Food Allergy Network .. http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/milk.html

Do these ingredients contain milk?

We frequently receive calls about the following ingredients. They do not contain milk protein and need not be restricted by someone avoiding milk:

Calcium lactate

Lactic acid (however, lactic acid starter culture may contain milk)

Calcium stearoyl lactylate

oleoresin

Cocoa butter

Sodium lactate

Cream of tartar

Sodium stearoyl lactylate

Calcium lactate made my dd have an allergic reaction every time she had it. She has dairy allergy. So even though it was listed I KNOW it made her react with a dairy reaction.

Taffy

Are you sure there wasn't something else that caused the reaction, perhaps CC or another ingredient?? Sodium Lactate is not usually milk based. Both my children ingest food containing sodium lactate without any reaction..

In the UK, Sodium Lactate is defined as

===================================

Sodium salt of lactic acid (E270), a natural acid produced by bacteria in fermented foods. All fermented foods are very rich in lactic acid. Commercially produced by bacterial fermentation on starch and molasses. Also produced in large amounts in the large intestine by the resident bacteria.

Reference

http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e325.htm

I did find that Sodium Lactate is based on Lactic Acid, which can be made form the fermentation of lactose:

Lactic acid is used in a variety of food stuffs to act as an acidity regulator. Although it can be fermented from lactose (milk sugar), most commercially used lactic acid is derived from bacteria such as Bascillus acidilacti, Lactobascillus delbueckii or L. bulgaricuswhey to ferment carbohydrates from sources such as cornstarch, potatoes or molasses. Thus, although it is commonly known as "milk acid", products claiming to be vegetarian or vegan do sometimes feature lactic acid as an ingredient.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid