• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

VydorScope

Casein / Dairy ? What To Look For?

Rate this topic

Okay, does bread, buns, etc usally have dairy in it? What does one look for when eating out, esply at a drive through kind of places? Ive gotten pretty good at spoting gluten traps, but still very unsure about all this dairy stuff!

Yes, a lot of bread products have dairy in them. I know that Knickiknick and Celiac Specalties make casein free products, probably others too.... back to reading labels! I'd be surprised if you found a mainstream product made with wheat flour that was dairy free, but you never know.

The Gluten Free Pantry makes a dairy free sandwich bread. I've not tried it yet--just ordered some. I also ordered their French Bread/Pizza Crust Mix--does not list any dairy in ingred. I'll let you know how they are as I try them. Would love to know how others who have tried them like them! Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakeshop breads have milk in them--because of that and the tapioca flour, I don't eat them anymore. I find that with dairy, just like for gluten, I have to read the labels. You never know where it will be lurking ;)

Hi VydorScope,

I am new to this message board, but def second Pattis' post. I've been casein intolerant since birth and it can be found lurking in so many foods, meds etc. Not sure about drive thoughs in the USA, because I live in Spain, but most hamburger buns, hot dog rolls, many of the sauces & also possibly the fries can also contain dairy. As for restaurants, you will need to avoid most sauces because so many contain either butter, cream or milk and also desserts.

Lisa

As for restaurants, you will need to avoid most sauces because so many contain either butter, cream or milk and also desserts.

Lisa

Doh! Is there casein in butter? I totally did not know that....