• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

debmidge

Celiac & Bursitis

Rate this topic

My husband now has bursitis in both knees (he doesn't do physical labor) and needs to have them drained. The primary care Dr. mentioned that with celiac, immune disorder, it could be an additional wacky immune response.

any thoughts on this? We go to othropaedic Dr. today.

Hi Deb--Sorry that your husband has this to deal with now :( . Last year, my 21 year old son had bursitis in both knees. Now, he works as an auto tech and obviously the job is physical (although it's not like he's on his knees constantly). The doctor told him to avoid putting pressure on his knees, take an OTC anti inflammatory (like Alleve), and give it some time. He said that he could have it drained, but most of the time the fluid re-absorbs on it's own. His did--but it took 2-3 months--and was very gradual. His knees are now back to normal. Wishing the best for your husband! :)

It's been 2 mos already and the swelling is still pronounced. Dr. said that only way to fix permanently is remove the bursas. So husband had Dr. drain them for now.

Anyone see a connection between this and celiac? Considering that my husband isn't working I can't see how (he does a little light housework for us) he got this in the first place. He doesn't have hobbies that he gets on his knees for, like your son does engine/car stuff (for a living). This did happen 35 years ago to his elbow and that went down with anti biotic. Don't recall what that was all about.

Well the knees swelled up again, so it appears that the draining did not help. Next step is the removal then. This is still baffling me...

Debbie,a risk factor for bursitis as well as carpet fitters,plumbers etc can be osteoarthritis.Osteoporosis can occur in coeliacs.

Has your husband ever had a dexa scan to rule out osteoporosis? :)

He has osteoarthiritis....and no he thinks I am nuts to suggest he get a scan for osteoporosis. He's hard headed & obstinate man. He never did any of the work (carpet fitter, plumber, etc.) so I'm going with the other suggestions

There are so many effective nutraceuticals on the market. We like to use Symbiotics Colostrum as a powerful immune modulater as well as many other benefits!

It is not a cure-all yet it does boost my immune system as well as increase my stamina.