This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying To Conceive

jaimek

jaimek Enthusiast

Hello everyone! I have been diagnosed with Celiac for over 2 years now and my intestines are completely healed. I just recently got married last September, and my husband and I are now just starting to try and get pregnant. I have had normal periods since going off the pill in September, but for the first time I skipped last month and have still not gotten my period. I did realize that my cycles were getting longer, but I know I am not pregnant because I took 3 tests, all negative. So, I have a couple questions. Has anyone just randomly skipped a month of their period while not being pregnant? Also, is there any advise on better ways to conceive. Is it a myth that you have to hold your legs up in the air after being intimate. ha! I know these questions are amusing, but I just want to be successful at getting pregnant. Any help is appreciated!! I am taking prenatal vitamins and before that was taking folic acid. Anything else I should be doing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

I read a great book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It teaches you about fertility signs so you know when to try and when not to worry about a late period. I went off bc in January and my cycles have been as long as 38 days, but I always know when to expect my period. I learned so much and I highly recommend it.

Good luck

jaimek Enthusiast

Great! Thank you so much Cassidy :D Would you happen to know who writes that book? I think I will go buy it after work today!!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Pregnancy tests can have false negatives ... as for trying, looking for fertility symptoms like someone else suggested is good. The time you have heaviest cervical mucus is the most fertile time of the month. They also make ovulation indicators now available at pharmacies I believe.

Carla

Guest Pixi

I have only had two cycles since my diagnosis, and the first one was scant.. and this last one never happened at all. I'm about two weeks late, lol. It's funny to me because I had the worst possible experience with menstruation before going gluten-free.. terrible periods.

So, anyway.. I did skip a period altogether and I'm not trying to get pregnant at all. I had negative tests when I took them as well. Got quite scared when my period never came!! But, in your case, you are fully healed.. so I'm not sure why that would happen. Doctors always say there's tons of reasons for skipping a period.. stress, diet, blah blah.. but, I'd take another test in a few days to be sure. Especially because you're trying!!

I think something important to remember is that it's not just about you taking care of yourself with vitamins and such.. it also helps if your partner isn't drinking heavily, is taking some vitamins, exercising.. keeping healthy. You want both parties to be in good health for best possible chances =)

And yes, that is a myth.. but, hey, if it makes you feel like you're helping things along, it can't hurt!! The power of the mind is strong!

Best of wishes!!! And maybe congratulations?

Melzo Rookie

Hello!

I actually had a similar situation happen to me (not a whole month lost though, just a few weeks). Back on January 3rd, was the last day of my period. I was trying to conceive so I was taking my temp. to document to see when I would ovulate. However, according to my temp, I never did ovulate that month, not until the next one. Here is the catch, I was sooooo stressed out over the job I was at, I didn't ovulate until a few weeks later than normal (and never got my period). I ended up getting pregnant THE DAY I left my job and found out that I was pregnant on February 13th. I had taken 4 or 5 pregnancy tests that kept coming up negative. I actually had taken one on February 11th and it said it was negative. So, you may very well be pregnant. If I weren't taking my temperature, I wouldn't have known that I ovulated and conceived later than what is considered normal for me. Give it a couple more weeks to see what happens and take a pregnancy once in awhile. Treat your body like you are pregnant though (eat right, no drinking, smoking, etc....).

My advice to getting pregnant - quit your very stressful job! :P Just have fun trying. That is the best thing you can do. Don't, I repeat don't, stress yourself out about it. You are healthy now, and nature will take it's course.

Good luck, and let us know what happens! I am hoping that a congratulations is in order!!!

jaimek Enthusiast

Thank you all so much for your help! This is really boggling my mind. I was under a lot more stress a couple months ago and I got my prd then. Just doesn't make sense. I have been off the pill for 8 months and have never skipped a month. I am now on day 44, and still no prd. I took a pregnancy test last Friday and it is still negative. I really hope I am pregnant and those tests are just not accurate for me for some reason. I guess I will take another one in a week if I still haven't gotten it. Melzo- your post gives me hope. I will let you all know what happens. Hopefully one of these tests will show as positive sometime soon!!!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ladyx Newbie
Thank you all so much for your help! This is really boggling my mind. I was under a lot more stress a couple months ago and I got my prd then. Just doesn't make sense. I have been off the pill for 8 months and have never skipped a month. I am now on day 44, and still no prd. I took a pregnancy test last Friday and it is still negative. I really hope I am pregnant and those tests are just not accurate for me for some reason. I guess I will take another one in a week if I still haven't gotten it. Melzo- your post gives me hope. I will let you all know what happens. Hopefully one of these tests will show as positive sometime soon!!!! :)

My third child, we like to call her our bonus baby, even though she wasn't planned and I didn't think I could carry another baby becasue of my health...we really wanted another girl and we got her. Anyway, I had two negetive pregnacy tests with her....I finally just went to my family doctor and had the blood test done to find out for sure...he told me you can know within 4 days of conciving...It was only a $20 copay which was cheaper then getting a pregnacy test over and over. Good luck hope you're happily pregnant :D Oh yeah mith about legs up in the air but I did read in my book "How to Choose the Sex of your Baby" when we were trying for our son that (hope I don't offend anyone) doggie style helps because it cause the sperm to go deeper toward the egg...meaning more will get there and have time to get in the egg.

Guest cassidy
Great! Thank you so much Cassidy :D Would you happen to know who writes that book? I think I will go buy it after work today!!

Sorry, I didn't see this until today. The author is Toni Weschler. The website is www.ovusoft.com. Both of my sisters in law used this book. They are in their late thirties, one of which has had several miscarriages, and they are both due with their second babies in November.

Now, if I can just get better it will be my turn.

jaimek Enthusiast

Well, I took another pregnancy test yesterday (on Day 46), and guess what? It was positive!!!!! I took anothere one just to make sure. I think I am still in shock. I just can't believe it. Going to be hard to keep it from everyone. We were out to dinner with 2 other couples last night and I was the only one not drinking. Everyone questioned me. Think they might have been a little suspicious. I told them I was just tired and wine would have put me to sleep. Guess I will just have to avoid dinner parties for as long as I can! :P

jerseyangel Proficient
Well, I took another pregnancy test yesterday (on Day 46), and guess what? It was positive!!!!! I took anothere one just to make sure. I think I am still in shock. I just can't believe it. Going to be hard to keep it from everyone. We were out to dinner with 2 other couples last night and I was the only one not drinking. Everyone questioned me. Think they might have been a little suspicious. I told them I was just tired and wine would have put me to sleep. Guess I will just have to avoid dinner parties for as long as I can! :P

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your husband :)

ladyx Newbie

That is so great congrads! :D

Melzo Rookie

OMG!!!!!! I am jumping up and down for you right now!!!! I just had this feeling you were - :D

Please, if you need anything, just let me know! I am now four months into this and (knowing that you are a fellow Celiac) would be happy to help in anyway I can.

I couldn't keep my pregnancy a secret. I think I lasted two days and I told everyone. (Exept for my boss. I waited til' the three months were up just to be safe).

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mel

Archived