• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest JlazyH

Sence Of Taste?

Rate this topic

Guest JlazyH

I have been gluten-free for almost a year now. Not doing bad with it other than the darn rash on my back side. The steroid cream seems to keep that in check. Now a new one cropped up and I wounder if it is from celiac or something else I have been blessed with. I seem to have lost my sence of taste. I have taste but it is vile. My own seliva makes me sick. I can load up what ever I eat with hot peppers spices or whatever and it makes my eyes water and nose run but leaves me with a taste I can't keep down. It is so hard to explain this problem so if anyone has this or has had this you know what I am talking about. Has this happened because of the celiac or is it unrelated?

Jess

Jess,

Not to alarm you, but one of the things that can cause a loss of smell and taste senses is brain tumors.

Also, besides the steriods for the butt rash, are you on any new medications?

Have you sought medical attention for this problem?

Steve

I lost my sense of taste for about three months after a bout with bronchitis. I agree, you definitely need to see the doctor. Whatever it is can become permanent if you don't get it treated.

Guest cassidy

have you looked into candida? I know it can cause rashes and is very common among celiacs.

Guest JlazyH

Ok, here is the deal. 7 weeks ago I had a spinal fusion and rods installed from my butt to my neck. It was in the hospital I lost the sence of taste and smell as well as hearing in my right ear. After the resultes came back just today, I had lost spinal fluid and my brain fell down onto my skull. Thats hard to believe. Anyway it pressed the nerves somehow at the spot in my brain that takes care of these sences. I have since regained the hearing and some smell but the taste is still gone. Nothing they can do about it but wait and see if it comes back.

I gotta tell ya, it sucks to be me. This stuff just will not stop. I feel like I am with in inches of turning into a cartoon character.