• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

hey everyone,

i was wondering if anyone could tell me if they know of a bread that actually tastes like regular bread. i've been eating food for life, rice almond bread. its the frozen kind and whatnot. it's not bad, but its just not the same. so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. also if you just found one you really like let me know too. i'm opened to suggestions.

If you are up for baking with a mix, the Gluten-Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread is very good and reminds me of my Grandmother's homemade bread.

If you are up for baking with a mix, the Gluten-Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread is very good and reminds me of my Grandmother's homemade bread.

when you use the mix, do you use a bread machine? I've never made bread myself before. I've only been gluten free for 2 weeks and am REALLY missing my bread!

I do use a bread machine, but you don't have to. I bought a bread machine soon after I went gluten-free b/c it was just easier for me. There are plenty of people here that have posted about this bread that don't use a bread machine.

Good luck! :)

I use The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix. I mix it up in my Kitchenaid, and bake it in a loaf pan in the oven. It is really good! I slice it after it cools, and then keep it wrapped in the fridge.

I just wanted to reiterate the "toast the bread" advice. My daughter (now 16 yrs. old) has been on a gluten-free diet (Celiac Disease) for 4 years now and we've tried nearly every gluten-free bread made. Her favorite is Kinnikinnick BROWN sandwich bread. (Their White sandwich bread is her 2nd choice.) Whatever gluten-free bread she eats she says that they all taste MUCH better toasted. She loves pizza too (what teenager doesn't?) and her favorite is Kinnik's pizza crust. I've tried it and it is very good. We have a local owned Italian restaurant that will fix her a real "Pizza Oven" baked gluten-free pizza if we bring the crust; needless to say, it's her favorite restaurant! They've been well educated about gluten-free and risks of cross contamination over the past 4 years and are very careful about keeping her pizza gluten-free.

Best Wishes!

I was dx'd this year with DH and I really miss good bread. I have tried Bob's Red Mill Homemade Wonderful gluten-free Bread Mix. I mix it in my Kitchenaid and bake in loaf pan and I find that I do like the flavor and texture. To me, the problem with most gluten-free breads is the texture (because of the rice flours) but Bob's bread texture is okay. I want burger buns and cannot find muffin rings to make my own. Any suggestions of good pre-baked buns? :rolleyes:

I was dx'd this year with DH and I really miss good bread. I have tried Bob's Red Mill Homemade Wonderful gluten-free Bread Mix. I mix it in my Kitchenaid and bake in loaf pan and I find that I do like the flavor and texture. To me, the problem with most gluten-free breads is the texture (because of the rice flours) but Bob's bread texture is okay. I want burger buns and cannot find muffin rings to make my own. Any suggestions of good pre-baked buns? :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome! :)

Another good bread--The Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix. I also mix it up in my Kitchenaid, and bake it in a loaf pan in the oven. The absolute best gluten-free hamburger buns I've had are fron Grandma Ferndons. The only drawback is the high shipping fees. (it's like $20!) I really don't buy enough from them to justify it normally. I will probably break down one of these days, though, and place another order! :ph34r:

I really like glutino corn bread. It's the best of the gluten free bread i've tried yet.

I agreet though that if you toast your bread it's much better, whatever the kind you choose.

Guest ChloeB
hey everyone,

i was wondering if anyone could tell me if they know of a bread that actually tastes like regular bread. i've been eating food for life, rice almond bread. its the frozen kind and whatnot. it's not bad, but its just not the same. so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. also if you just found one you really like let me know too. i'm opened to suggestions.

MY FAVORITE BREAD SO FAR IS RAISIN PECAN BREAD THE BRAND IS FOOD FOR LIFE ITS EVEN FRIUT JUICE SWEETENED. CHLOE.

I love breads by anna from www.glutenevolution.com

and here is my own recipe, which works well (but not as perfect as the breads by anna)\

My bread recipe

You know, I had seen that recipe and it looks good. What's a good replacement for the pecan flour? I'm allergic to them. Would almond flour work?

Try using aluminum foil with your bread mix in the oven. That should enable you to make hamburger or hotdog buns in any shape or length without buying a special pan.

You know, I had seen that recipe and it looks good. What's a good replacement for the pecan flour? I'm allergic to them. Would almond flour work?

Yes you can use your favorite nut flour here. I use Pecan, but almond is my other main staple in baking. Sometimes hazlenut (although I think it has a stronger flavor) and same goes for Brazil nuts...stronger flavor!

Almond should work well. This loaf turns out really yummy and lovely looking, but it is a bit tricky to cut. I find it works well to cool it in the fridge before cutting (but usually we eat half the loaf when it's fresh and warm....then it just sits around ! We're not huge bread eaters, but who can resist fresh baked bread?)