• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

dionnek

Storing gluten-free Flour Mixes

Rate this topic

I bought some all purpose gluten-free baking mix and also some pancake mix and was wondering if it needs to be stored in the fridge or freezer - does anyone know? Right now I have them both in the fridge, but tried to make muffins last night and they were REALLY dry - even after I added extra egg substitute and water! I've read that some of the flours (potato flour I think and maybe the tapioca starch) should be stored in the fridge, so that's why I put my mixes in there. What does everyone else do?

high fat ones (nut flours, flax meal, etc) go in the freezer. medium fat content ones go in the fridge (or ought to... I don't always, but my house doesn't get very warm). low fat content ones stay in a cool pantry.

it's all about keeping the fat from going rancid.

did your muffins have the requisite fat component in them (oil/butter)?

high fat ones (nut flours, flax meal, etc) go in the freezer. medium fat content ones go in the fridge (or ought to... I don't always, but my house doesn't get very warm). low fat content ones stay in a cool pantry.

it's all about keeping the fat from going rancid.

did your muffins have the requisite fat component in them (oil/butter)?

so it would be ok to put the "all purpse mix" in the fridge? I put the required 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup water (added more water) that the recipe on the back of the mix called for - didn't sound like much to me especially with the 2 cups of flour, but the only other liquid was 1/4 c. honey and 1 egg (I used egg substitute - almost 1/2 cup ended up in there!).

so it would be ok to put the "all purpse mix" in the fridge?

you won't hurt the flour by being more conservative and storing it more conservatively (colder), so yeah, go ahead and store it in the fridge.

I put the required 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup water (added more water) that the recipe on the back of the mix called for - didn't sound like much to me especially with the 2 cups of flour, but the only other liquid was 1/4 c. honey and 1 egg (I used egg substitute - almost 1/2 cup ended up in there!).

I make muffins from scratch a lot and this isn't enough "wet stuff". For 2 cups flour my recipe calls for one egg (or substitute), 1/3 C oil, 1/3 C maple syrup and then enough milk/rice milk to make all the liquid equal 1-3/4 C. Depending on what flour I use or what the humidity is like, I may add a little more rice milk.

I put the Betty Hageman four bean flour in the refrig and I thought it made it kinda feel heavy or something so I left my last bag out of the fridge. I thought only brown rice needed in the fridge. And I just went and put my flax meal in the freezer as I didn't know that either. I love you guys I'm still learning.......

mamaw

Because I don't use my mixes or flours often, I store them in the freezer for a longer shelf life.