• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

rache

Stomach Emptying

Rate this topic

I had a stomach emptying scan done today and they called me back with my results. it takes 220 min for my stomach to empty all its contents!!!!! most people take 90 min. wow, so there is something wrong with me. does anyone else have this problem and how did you get treated? they asked me if i had taken reglan and zelnorm- which i have taken both with no luck. so now what will they do? the dr office didnt call me back yet today, hopefully theyll call tomorrow! im just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if they found any relief. thank you!

Hi Rachel

I was told I had undigested food laying for long periods of time. I guess thats the same thing. A dco told me that it could be caused by diabetes (I never heard that before from diabetics) so I'm not sure if thats correct. But I do not have diabetes so I still don't know why. I get so sick of doctors who label stuff with no clue if itis correct but they didn't seem alarmed by this ...

hope you get feeling better soon.

mamaw

not sure if i had the same test, but i had a upper GI done and you have to wait around for this milkshake thing to pass thru u so they can take x-rays of it going down, it took 4 hours to reach my small intestines and they said thats perfectly normal, so im not sure if your so bad off

Hi Rachel

I was told I had undigested food laying for long periods of time. I guess thats the same thing. A dco told me that it could be caused by diabetes (I never heard that before from diabetics) so I'm not sure if thats correct. But I do not have diabetes so I still don't know why. I get so sick of doctors who label stuff with no clue if itis correct but they didn't seem alarmed by this ...

hope you get feeling better soon.

mamaw

It's called diabetic gastroparesis and it occurs in many T1 diabetics, not T2, not sure who you were talking to, but most diabetics are T2.

I was dxed with gastroparesis on the same day I was dxed with Celiac.

My stomach had not emptied after 12+ hours of fasting,

but gastroparesis usually entails nausea, vomitting and weight loss - I had none of those and strongly

suspect that my stomach not emptying had to do with Celiac and not gastroparesis.

They did put me on Reglan, but from what I can tell this is not a maintenance drug and can cause some real ill effects, (it can make the body mimic Parkinson's disease) so I have not been taking it.

I'm going to ask my GI for another upper GI to determine if my stomach is still not emptying since going gluten-free 7 months ago.

The upper GI and the stomach-emptying scan are two different tests. I've had both so I'm positive of this.

Gastroparesis (slow emptying stomach) is not always linked with diabetes; that's just one of the causes.

Rache, yes, there is something wrong, but it's not rare. There are different meds they can try. How long have you been gluten-free?

Hi... I have just the opposite...had tests just a few weeks ago that showed too fast emptying of my stomach. so am now eating 5 to 6 times a day with small meals, also am to do most of my liquid drinking between meals. that is not to easy to do! but has helped me, have less diarrhea. That is very important to me and am now gaining a bit of energy! after much of that for many months I got VERY weak. The technician told me my problem could be caused by celiac disease. Best of luck to all you celiacs however your stomachs empty!

The gluten free diet has really helped me, even tho improvement does seem slow. evie :)

I had a stomach emptying scan done today and they called me back with my results. it takes 220 min for my stomach to empty all its contents!!!!! most people take 90 min. wow, so there is something wrong with me. does anyone else have this problem and how did you get treated? they asked me if i had taken reglan and zelnorm- which i have taken both with no luck. so now what will they do? the dr office didnt call me back yet today, hopefully theyll call tomorrow! im just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if they found any relief. thank you!

I also had this when they did my scope. It looked so gross. I had eaten peanut butter before I stopped eating the night before. He said my stomach was emptying too slow, but he didn't seem overly concerned about it. I had been taking Nulev to slow down the spasms which were causing severe pain. I was never diagnosed with Celiac (don't have the gene) but I am gluten intolerant and I have been gluten-free for app 3 years.

My GI doctor told me my digestion is very slow....is this the same thing as slow emptying? He didnt seem concerned about it.

My GI doctor told me my digestion is very slow....is this the same thing as slow emptying? He didnt seem concerned about it.

Maybe but not necessarily. Where's the slow down? Or is it just in general. When you think about the different organs, and how much is involved in digestion...well, different tests show different aspects of the process.

The upper GI and the stomach-emptying scan are two different tests. I've had both so I'm positive of this.

Yes you are correct, my bad.

I had the upper GI done prior to the stomach emptying test (what is it's actual name?) to see if I had acid reflux. I was just confusing the two!

to answer everyones Q's:

ive had an upper GI, it was fine. ive been gluten-free for over a year. they suggested zelnorm or reglan, both which ive taken. but im going to do Reglan again. and the problem is with the Stomach emptying, not anywhere else in my intestines from what i understand...