This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wow $ Of Xanthum Gum

Texas Celiac

Texas Celiac Apprentice

I started my gluten-free diet 3 weeks ago. I went to the market today and bought my flours and xanthum gum for baking. WOW!!! I spent a fortune. I had been warned that xanthum gum is not cheap, but I paid $13.00 for 12 oz. Can I get this any less expensive? The only flour that I could find in bulk was brown rice and white rice. Corn starch, potato starch, gluten-free baking mix, and sorghum flour were all prepackaged.

Texas Celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

I think what you paid for the gum is just about average. The advantage is that it takes very little, so what you bought will go a long way. I cut the cost of my food by going to mainly meats, fruits, and veggies, and very little ready-made and bread-type foods. Sometimes I miss the breads and cookies, but never bad enough to actually make some!

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Texas Celiac

yep, that's about the price here in Pa too for the gum. I guess you found out on your own how expensive this stuff is..... I don't know how rice flour can be so costly. Be sure to put your brown rice in the freezer or refridge.... I buy all my flour prepackaged..I have been using Betty Hageman four bean flour one for one in my old reg. recipes so I have been able to make my favorites.

mamaw

lorka150 Collaborator

you use so little it goes a long way. i have had mine since christmas and i'm not even half done... and i bake about six different baked goods a week with it.

Texas Celiac Apprentice

Well that is good to know that the xanthum gum goes along way.

Should I put all of my flours in the refrigerator or freezer, or just the brown rice?

I bought white rice flour

potato starch

tapioca starch

of course the xanthum gum

Thanks

Texas Celiac

lorka150 Collaborator

out of the four you listed, the only one i keep in the freezer is the rice (the others in the pantry). i also keep soy, amaranth, flax in the freezer.

lpellegr Collaborator

If you have an Asian grocery store nearby you can get rice flour, tapioca flour, etc much cheaper and usually ground finer - the rice flour's not so sandy-textured. At 3 1-lb packages of white rice flour for $1, I stock up there instead of paying $4 for a pound and a half in a regular store. And the cost of xanthan gum hurts, but it does last a while. Just don't do what I did and spill most of it the first time you use it. :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

I bought a package of xanthum gum years ago, still have most of it. I don't bake or use it all that often though.

Texas Celiac Apprentice

Thanks for the info!! I will have to look and see if there is an Asian grocery store close by. That is considerably cheaper!!

sandeehier Newbie
... Just don't do what I did and spill most of it the first time you use it. :angry:

And almost as bad as the cost of spilling it is the sticky mess - They don't call it GUM for nothing!

Elizabeth-Elindel Rookie

we actualy use Guter gum instead of Xanthum. It costs about $10 less is what I've found. We just use it in the same quanitys, ect. as Xanthum gum. :)

Texas Celiac Apprentice

That is not the same as guar gum, is it?

ken3112 Newbie

We use a binder made from soy protein, rice flour and maize. It has mineral salts in it and really binds up burgers and sausages. We make our own on a small kitchen setup. Has anybody tried this?

Elizabeth-Elindel Rookie

Knowing my spelling skills... YES, it is the same as guar gum. My bad. :)

debmidge Rising Star

in NY metro area the Xanthan gum pricing is the about same as what you paid in TX. i've seen 12 oz for $12 and $13 depending on what store I'm in. I've purchased mail order at about same pricing. My next question is, "why is it so expensive?"

Archived