This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Went To Whole Foods For The First Time

AmyandSabastian

AmyandSabastian Explorer

I drove 2 hours to get there, since there only one city in Louisiana that has one. When I walked in I swear I was in gluten-free heaven!! They even had gluten-free mac and cheese, all ready made bread, PIZZA, cereal, cookies, crackers, omg you name it. My husband and I decided that we will go once a month just to shop. Who ever told me about this place I call heaven a big thank you from Sabastian. I even got him some noodles that he LOVES to slirp up. If you could have seen the look on his face when his daily snack wasnt the same old rice crackers that is all I could find. He LOVED them. So big thank you from Sabastian and a happy mommy!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kvogt Rookie

Wonderful! Enjoy! Just beware that you can get fat on that stuff if you enjoy too much. That's what happened to me.

Kim Explorer

Whole Foods has a Whole Foods Generic Brand (365) cereal called Honey Frosted Flakes that are Gluten Free and fabulous. It's the only cereal I eat. If you buy a case (12), you get 10% off. I don't know if Sebastian is too young for sweetened cereal like that, but just thought you might want to know about it.

Good luck. Kim.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm on a business trip in Detroit, and barely made it to the Whole Foods in Troy after picking up my rental car last night, but was so happy to have a store like that be such a large chain that I can fly four hours and still KNOW that I'll be able to get gluten-free pasta, and gluten-free cereal, and other stuff I get at home that I know to be gluten-free. (Though, it amuses me to walk into grocery stores across the country and see California produce. :-) )

dkmb Newbie

I love Whole Foods! I have never talked to a clerk that didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about a particular gluten-free item. They always recommend asking for a special purchase if they don't carry it. I like their produce also because there is such a variety of organic and often times it is cheaper than the local stores and produce stands.

I bought some coffee beans there and half the price went directly to a local enviornmental group.

You might ask about gluten-free cooking classes there. Our store has classes, haven't seen a gluten-free one yet but plan to ask when I have the time.

DK

mat4mel Apprentice

Just curious, where is the store in LA? I am visiting family in Mississippi right now and might drive down there if it's not too far.

Mel

AmyandSabastian Explorer

I went to the Whole Foods website and found that there are 2 stores in the entire state. They are both located in New Orleans.

New Orleans

Whole Foods Market

3135 Esplanade

New Orleans, LA 70119

504.947.7901 fax

Store hours: 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. seven days a week.

New Orleans

Whole Foods Market

5600 Magazine Street

New Orleans, LA 70115

504.899.9210 fax

Store hours: 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Sunday.

I just went back and there are no stores in mississippi. Good luck and I am telling you its sooooo worth the drive!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

Our Whole Foods in San mateo CA has had 2 gluten-free cooking classes in the last year

kalo Rookie

My girlfriend took me to whole foods when I was visiting and I thought I had died and gone to food heaven. LOL That was when I was just into whole foods cooking. Now that I might have celiac it's nice to know they have gluten-free foods. I was in there a week ago. I see that Molly is in San Mateo. I go to the one on Stevens Creek by De Anza college. Too bad I live 3 hours a way. They have no plans on putting one closer. I e-mailed them a few years ago and found that out. My mother lives in Santa Clara and my hubby works down there and stays at her house. I'm also going to an allergist in Sunnyvale which gives me a reason for comming down. We live in Sonora. Comming down I always stop at whole foods. My daughter and I have this ritual of getting a smoothie there each time we come. Hugs, Carol B

Thomas Apprentice

In LA there is a Whole Foods on Santa Monica and Fairfax, and there is also one on Beverly and Fairfax.

Archived