Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dana

Doctor In Raleigh/cary, Nc

:)

Hi Leah in Raleigh,

I haven't heard anything from my post in a number of days. Maybe your post is the answer to my prayer today! Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. How did Dr. Kohagen diagnose you (i.e. blood test, biopsy etc.)? Also did he talk in depth about the diet changes you need to make? Was he upbeat and encouraging about how these changes would improve your health? As a newly diagnosed celiac, did you leave his office feeling like you could improve your health with diet changes. If you read my previous post, I need a doctor to help my mother-in-law see that she needs to be vigilent with her diet if she wants to improve her health and that "cheating" every so often is only going to sabotoge previous effort (mine and hers). She really needs this to come from a medical professional and not her son and daughter-in-law and printed pages from the internet. I think it is hard for her to realize that the diet does make a big difference because she is 76 years old and aging. I think she just thinks she is getting old and falling apart anyway so why deprive herself so much at this point. Thanks in advance for answering my questions and best wishes with improving your health with diet. There is so much good information online and so much support from other celiacs, if you are on this message board you are off to a good start!

Thanks again,

Dana

I'm needing a recommendation for a knowledgable doc in Raleigh, NC area. This is for my mother-in-law whose GI diagnosed her with possible celiac in Nov. 2004. We learned over the telephone, but knew something about the disease because of a friend who has it. We immediately made the changes, emptied her pantry and eleminated gluten from her diet. Within three weeks she went from death's door to feeling "human again". Unfortunately the GI gave her ignorant advice at a follow-up and since then we have had a hard time convincing her how important the diet is. Now she is anemic and failing again and we need help!!!! Her primary doc know nothing. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi Dana: I live in Durham, am 68 years old and was diagnosed 3 months ago with celiac. I diagnosed myself by reading on the internet. I suggested a blood test to my doctor who felt that because I am somewhat obese, there was no way I could have celiac but agreed to a blood test. She called me two weeks later and was shocked the test had come back positive. I am not sure she knows a lot about it but immediately referred me to a dietician who did know a lot. That was the beginning and internet and forums such as this have helped me a lot. I wish we had a support group in the Durham-Raleigh-Chapel Hill area but short of that, I think telephone communication might help. I would be glad to talk with your mother-in-law if she would like and we can compare notes. I can be reached at ontheeno@nc.rr.com if she is interested in talking. Thanks. Gladys