• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

KayJay

Could Your Babies Tolerate Oats?

Rate this topic

Well first let me update you on Maddie. She is now 9 months old and doing very well she weighs 17 pounds now and is 26 inches! She eats squash, carrots, green beans and apples :D She can tolerate Nutramigin in small amounts once in awhile too! THat is just a good sign for her milk intolerance issues. She still nurses 3 times a day with 2 meals of solids. :)

Saturday we started her on Oats. She has done very well on them but today she had a very mushy not quite runny stool. Oats is the only thing that has changed in her diet. It is the Earth's Best kind so it should be safe for her. I don't think it was a bad sign or anything but just wondering about the oats as far as other kids.

Obvisiouly we don't know if she is Celiac yet or not she has never had gluten. But I am so we are trying to take the precautions now. :) THanks

My daighter can't eat directly yet, so everything is through me, but I tried oats once and she immediately had blood back up from her feeding tube, vomiting, lethargy, and constiption. I haven't bothered trying again.

So glad she's doing so good now!

Saturday we started her on Oats ... she has never had gluten

Ummm... if your giving her oats, then she has had gluten. Not being picky, just want to be sure your clear on that. :)

My son could not tolerate oats, infact in the end it was oats that tipped us off to his celiac disease.

I don't have a baby yet but I would not give my child oats. You see, some people react and get intestinal damage from oats even if they are uncontaminated. The protein, avenin, is similar to that of wheat, rye, and barley. The oats in the US are pretty much all contaminated so I would definitely stay away from those, I would not recommend any though.

hmm now I am confused. She seems to be doing fine with the oats but I don't want her to get sick or lose any weight. Also, she did not do so well on the Rice cereal and I definitely don't want to try barley. It just seems that she needs something more filling than fruits and veggies. Any suggestions?

hmm now I am confused. She seems to be doing fine with the oats but I don't want her to get sick or lose any weight. Also, she did not do so well on the Rice cereal and I definitely don't want to try barley. It just seems that she needs something more filling than fruits and veggies. Any suggestions?

meat?

It's been a long time since my kids were that age, so I don't remember when they can have meat, but we used to put chicken in a blender and it made this baby food type texture of meat paste, the kids liked it a lot.

Have you tried Avocados? My son didn't like them as a baby, but would eat them if they were mixed with some sort of fruit. I would mash them and then mix them with apples or peaches. You could also blend some chicken or beef in the blender with veggies for her. I wouldn't worry too much about her getting solids right now. My son didn't eat many solids until he was close to a year old.

My kids didn't seem to have any trouble with oats, but I didn't think oats had a heck of a lot of nutrition (I wasn't worried about filling them up, I was worried about making every calorie have nutritive value). I gave them avocado, grilled salmon (very easy for baby to eat if you flake it in tiny pieces), hummous, and tofu. Check out some of the threads about soy, though--apparently it's not as healthy as I'd thought?