This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hello! New From Wa State

NancyKay

NancyKay Rookie

Hello! This is my first note on this board. I've read a little bit and am very happy to have found this forum.

I have stomach issues and DH. The stomach issues are greatly improved but I continue to wrestle with the rash and itch, especially if I accidently get a little gluten. But overall, I'm in such better shape on the diet that I can't really complain. It's amazing what a tiny, tiny bit of gluten can do.

I'm so anxious to share here and learn more. Are there any others here from my area?

Nancy in Olympia, WA

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
Hello! This is my first note on this board. I've read a little bit and am very happy to have found this forum.

I have stomach issues and DH. The stomach issues are greatly improved but I continue to wrestle with the rash and itch, especially if I accidently get a little gluten. But overall, I'm in such better shape on the diet that I can't really complain. It's amazing what a tiny, tiny bit of gluten can do.

I'm so anxious to share here and learn more. Are there any others here from my area?

Nancy in Olympia, WA

Welcome! It's a great board, with a lot of friendly people.

We do have a few others from WA. I'm from the eastside of Lake Washington myself.

NancyKay Rookie
Welcome! It's a great board, with a lot of friendly people.

We do have a few others from WA. I'm from the eastside of Lake Washington myself.

Tiffany,

Thank you for the quick welcome! I'm excited to see another Washingtonian. Do you know of any support groups south of Seattle?

Being new here, I am going to have to figure out the acronyms. I can see that G.F. is gluten-free, correct? I see C.F. in your signature... what is C.F.? Will I have a "duh" moment? LOL I'll have to create a signature soon. Is there a list of acronyms somewhere here? Thanks again.

Nancy

lonewolf Collaborator

Hello and welcome! I'm from just north of you (Fed. Way). I don't think there are any support groups in our area. Several people have talked about starting one, including me, but nothing has developed. This board is the next best thing. Feel free to ask all kinds of questions - there's a lot of knowledge here.

AndreaB Contributor

Hi,

I'm south of you about 1-1 1/2 hours (north of Vancouver WA). I'm originally from Olympia and my mother lives there so I'm still up to visit about once a month.

Jestgar Rising Star

Hi,

I'm on Bainbridge and I work in Seattle. I was just realizing that although I've lived in Washington pretty much since I was 8, I don't think I've ever in been to Olympia...

GFBetsy Rookie
Being new here, I am going to have to figure out the acronyms. I can see that G.F. is gluten-free, correct? I see C.F. in your signature... what is C.F.?

Nancy

C.F. is "Casien Free" - Casien is the protein in milk. Welcome!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NancyKay Rookie

Hi everyone! What a friendly group - thank you! I feel so at home here already and I can see that I'll be learning quite a bit.

Andrea, you must be familiar with Lingonberries Market in Vancouver then? Have you been there? My son drove stopped there on his way home from Portland and picked up some gluten-free things for me last week. I love the products he got. I plan to come through Vancouver on Saturday so am going to browse through the store myself that day. A group of us are headed to the Pendleton factory in Washougal.

Thanks again, everyone.

Nancy

AndreaB Contributor

Yep. Love Lingonberries market. I found them out by looking online for stores that carried enjoy life products. They have such an amazing variety off gluten free stuff at that store! We are just off exit 27 (I-5). What time do you think you'll be down in Vancouver?

NancyKay Rookie
Yep. Love Lingonberries market. I found them out by looking online for stores that carried enjoy life products. They have such an amazing variety off gluten free stuff at that store! We are just off exit 27 (I-5). What time do you think you'll be down in Vancouver?

Hi Andrea,

I'm going with a group of women I get together with for rug hooking (the old fashioned kind) because they want to go to the Pendleton store in Washougal and look at wool. I'm basically tagging along as an invitee since I'm rather new to the group. I mentioned to them that I'd love to zip past the gluten-free store in Vancouver and no one has said they didn't have time or would rather get back home sooner. I'm sure it will work out, but I don't have any idea what time we'd be there, and since I'm the only celiac disease person in the group, I'll be the only one who will want to spend much time there. Are you going to the pancake breakfast there? It's in a few weeks. I don't know if I'll be in the area that day, but what a nice activity for them to host, don't you think? I can't wait to see the store! (Pendleton, too!)

Nancy

AndreaB Contributor

I wasn't aware of the pancake breakfast. I probably wouldn't go because I am also soy intolerant and mildly dairy allergic. I am only eating butter at this point and will probably be cutting that out. If I eat dairy I make sure it is organic.

Generic Apprentice

Welcome to the board!

I live in Everett now. But i lived on the boarder of Tacoma and Puyallup up until recently. I am always down in the Lacey, Tacoma, Lakewood area. I am also planning another trip to Lingonberries real soon. That place is fantastic! It's well worth the drive, even from up here.

Laurie

NancyKay Rookie
I wasn't aware of the pancake breakfast. I probably wouldn't go because I am also soy intolerant and mildly dairy allergic. I am only eating butter at this point and will probably be cutting that out. If I eat dairy I make sure it is organic.

Oh Andrea, I'm sorry about the soy and dairy. That must be very difficult. I've browsed here and see that so many people have more foods than gluten to deal with. I hope I won't be the same. What symptoms do you get from soy and from dairy? I eat mostly organic but haven't with the cream in my coffee or the little butter I also eat. My oldest son and I are paving our way through this together, and so the more I learn and tell him, the better. I have a feeling he too could be dealing with soy and/or dairy.

The most interesting thing about my son is that he doesn't have any symptoms other than asthma, and when he eats gluten-free, he can breathe! He can get a deep breath for the first time in years.

Laurie, you drive from Everette to Vancouver to buy gluten-free? That's amazing! Good for you! Maybe sometime we should all meet in Vancouver. :) Have you shopped gluten-free at Whole Foods? I sure wish we had a Whole Foods in Olympia!

Nancy

cybersam Newbie

Nancy in Olympia, WA

Hi Nancy;

I just happened to see your note and wanted you to know that we have a Gluten Intolerance Support Group in Olympia. We meet the 3rd Wed. of each month at 7.00 PM in Olympia Providence Hospital. Check at the front desk for location. Hope to see you there. cybersam

NancyKay Rookie
Hi Nancy;

I just happened to see your note and wanted you to know that we have a Gluten Intolerance Support Group in Olympia. We meet the 3rd Wed. of each month at 7.00 PM in Olympia Providence Hospital. Check at the front desk for location. Hope to see you there. cybersam

Sam! That's fabulous. Thank you so much for letting me know. I may miss the first one (this month) if I'm out of town. Plans to go visit a brother in CA are in the planning stages. But if I'm here, I'll be there. And for sure, I'll be there in Sept. How many usually show up? What do you do at the meetings? What ages?

Sign me "excited!" :)

Nancy

AndreaB Contributor
Oh Andrea, I'm sorry about the soy and dairy. That must be very difficult. I've browsed here and see that so many people have more foods than gluten to deal with. I hope I won't be the same. What symptoms do you get from soy and from dairy? I eat mostly organic but haven't with the cream in my coffee or the little butter I also eat. My oldest son and I are paving our way through this together, and so the more I learn and tell him, the better. I have a feeling he too could be dealing with soy and/or dairy.

The most interesting thing about my son is that he doesn't have any symptoms other than asthma, and when he eats gluten-free, he can breathe! He can get a deep breath for the first time in years.

Laurie, you drive from Everette to Vancouver to buy gluten-free? That's amazing! Good for you! Maybe sometime we should all meet in Vancouver. :) Have you shopped gluten-free at Whole Foods? I sure wish we had a Whole Foods in Olympia!

Nancy

Nancy,

I underwent allergy testing when my son was 3 months old because he had broken out with eczema and everything I read said it was usually food associated. Found out I was allergic to wheat/spelt/rye/gluten/gliadin/soy/navy bean/kidney bean/asparagus/banana/pineapple/dairy (except cheddar cheese) and goat milk. I had read that soy can cause intestinal damage too so went off that even before the allergy testing. I went gluten light, still eating oats occassionaly and rice dream milk. We went through enterolab with everything they offer and found out my husband and I are soy intolerant and myself, daughter and oldest son are gluten intolerant. My oldest son also had mild malabsorption. We did enterolab the end of May this year. Still need to test my youngest. Just started him on oatmeal today. We had no obvious symptoms before going gluten free but know if we've been glutened now. I never noticed any symptoms from soy. I did have an enlarged thyroid almost 2 years ago with two elevated liver enzymes which went back to normal before the end of my pregnancy.

BTW, my oldest two were born in Olympia. We just moved south 2 years ago.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Hello. Another Washingtonian here - life-long: born in Tacoma (Ft. Lewis actually), then Seattle, Whidbey Island, Snohomish, Sedro-Woolley, and now Bellingham. I keep moving North..."go west, young man"...only north and I'm not a man.

Olympia is a nice town - I was a page there while my mother was in the legislature (in the 80's), and we had friends live there as well. My Aunt lives in Lacey, and my neices live in Yelm.

Take care, and welcome.

gheidie Newbie

Hi just had to post a reply as well, I am a washingtonian also!! Born in Seattle, grew up in Bellevue, college in Mt Vernon, and Bellingham. Moved to Spokane for 2 years and no we live just north of Bellingham in Ferndale!! I work in Bellingham. I have been self diagnosed, and Dr. told me all my symptoms point to gluten intolerant, so stop eating it. This was yesterday. So I am fumbling my way along. This is my first post!! I do know that the Harvest Bread store makes gluten free stuff on Wed evening and Thursdays!! :D

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
Hi just had to post a reply as well, I am a washingtonian also!! Born in Seattle, grew up in Bellevue, college in Mt Vernon, and Bellingham. Moved to Spokane for 2 years and no we live just north of Bellingham in Ferndale!! I work in Bellingham. I have been self diagnosed, and Dr. told me all my symptoms point to gluten intolerant, so stop eating it. This was yesterday. So I am fumbling my way along. This is my first post!! I do know that the Harvest Bread store makes gluten free stuff on Wed evening and Thursdays!! :D

If you need any advice or want to get together, let me know...PM me. Also, we've got a support group that meets at the Food Co-op, though I've never gone. We could wander in together, if you'd like.

I walk my dog up at Hovander Homestead all the time. Where do you work? I own a small business in Fairhaven called Bully For You that does Girl Friday stuff, and makes movies for folks out of old film footage and photographs. It's fun. I also go to Fairhaven college.

Sorry...I got excited to hear from someone so close on the board. Yahoo. Let me know about the lunching/advice/meeting attendance.

Also, if you're going to be seeing a nutritionist, Tom Malterre is gluten intolerant and seems pretty knowledgeable to me.

AndreaB Contributor

Welcome Gheidi! :D

I went to school at WWU for a few years. Bellingham is a pretty area.

gheidie Newbie

Bully4You~ I work downtown on Commercial. This is all still new to me... today is day 3 to be gluten free... I have actually found it pretty easy so far. I love fruit and veggies, and I just threw in rice yesterday for my dinner. I am going to go check out the Harvest bread store. They make gluten free bread on Thursdays according to their web sight.

What are you studying at Fairhaven. I was going to go into elementary education, but ended up getting married and never made it back. I was even considering starting up again, but not sure I am cut out for all the testing <_< .

queenofhearts Explorer

All you Olympians, do you have a favorite local eating spot that is gluten-free friendly? My son is a rising sophomore at Evergreen & we'll be coming out with him this Fall to help him set up an off-campus apartment. It would be great to be able to eat out somewhere safe!

Leah

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
Bully4You~ I work downtown on Commercial. This is all still new to me... today is day 3 to be gluten free... I have actually found it pretty easy so far. I love fruit and veggies, and I just threw in rice yesterday for my dinner. I am going to go check out the Harvest bread store. They make gluten free bread on Thursdays according to their web sight.

What are you studying at Fairhaven. I was going to go into elementary education, but ended up getting married and never made it back. I was even considering starting up again, but not sure I am cut out for all the testing <_< .

I didn't know about Harvest Bread gluten-free. I actually quit all grains about a month ago; but had I known beforehand, I would've checked it out. Be cautious of cross contamination - but it sounds like something to give a shot.

At Fairhaven you invent your own "concentration" (degree), and I haven't gotten to that point yet. I go very slowly - one or two classes per quarter - I like it that way. Mostly I study writing, but also identity issues, the Middle East, and human ecology/sustainability. Fairhaven has very few tests; rather, they asses your progress on paper writing and projects. You also don't get grades; instead you get long praise and critique of your skills and your progress. It's an interesting place of about 300 students. I'm not sure what my ultimate goal is, since I'd like to become a farmer/rancher -- the llamas won't know if I have a degree or not, right?

Anyway, let me know if you need any help with anything and how the Harvest Bread Co thing goes. Also, if you want to go to the meeting.....

Take care.

KarenCM Rookie

Hi there! I am not from Washington State but I go there to do some gluten free shopping sometimes. I am going to Bellingham next Tuesday for a Gluten Free Baking class at the Community Food Coop I can't wait. Is anyone else going to it?

Karen

gheidie Newbie

Karen, that does sound like fun!! I am new to this WOL I have only been gluten free for 3 days now. I will have to check into there clases, I didn't know they offered classes like these.

AWESOME!!

I tell ya I sure like it that the fog has lifted considerably!! I feel so much better already!!!

Archived