This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ran A 5k Today

Natlay

Natlay Apprentice

This morning I ran in a 5K...haven't been allowed to run too much since I lost a lot of weight when this whole food intolerance thing started. But my husband let me run this morning and I had a good time...until I looked at the pictures he took...I finally see why people look at me funny when I run. They all probably think I have an eating disorder or something. I really want to start training again but I still need to put on more weight. I've been eating a good 5,000 calories a day but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

Has anyone else started exercising before gaining back weight? What do you eat when gluten, dairy, soy, and corn are out and I don't like meat (especially red meat) that much? I don't want to look like a running skeleton...and I'm tired of all the looks. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

justjane Rookie

congratulations on running this morning. i hope everything works out for you and the weight comes back on quickly. i'm sure it will since now your body will be eating things it can absorb. :)

key Contributor

If you can't eat those things, it is going to be hard to gain any weight. Vegan people are usually skinny anyway. What do you eat to get 5000 calories a day? How long have you been gluten free?

Congratulations on the run. I am sure it felt good.

I am vegetarian and don't eat any meat, but I do eat some dairy. I would think eating Kinnikinnick breads would help you. Also eggs, nuts, avocadoes, flax or coconut oil added to shakes. I make shakes out of whole milk yogurt. I guess that would be out though, since you can't have any dairy. Potatoe chips are fattening, but not much nutritional value. I eat alot of mexican foods, avocadoes, beans, Kinnikinnick breads, Pamela's pancakes, gluten-free pasta, brown rice, smoothies and I do eat Breyer's icecream and M&M's some.

Monica

MNB Newbie

Thank you for writing about your run! I was a frequent runner before I got sick back in May - I have not had the energy or strength (due to weight loss) to even pick up my running shoes. Reading about your success today has given me hope that I will get back to running, hopefully soon.

Did you start off just a few runs a week and build up?

I have been eating alot of gluten free pizzas and bread and it's helping to put weight back on. I had the same reaction about 2 weeks ago when I saw my reflection in the subway widows - I didn't recognize myself at first glance, it was a little scary. Good luck wit the weight gain!

Michelle

Vladimir Gluten Newbie

Brown Rice pasta will help. You can get it from trader joes. Eat a couple plates of that a day and it should help.

Natlay Apprentice
Thank you for writing about your run! I was a frequent runner before I got sick back in May - I have not had the energy or strength (due to weight loss) to even pick up my running shoes. Reading about your success today has given me hope that I will get back to running, hopefully soon.

Did you start off just a few runs a week and build up?

I had been training for a marathon but had to stop when I got sick :angry: ...maybe next year. It was really slow getting back into it. I started on the treadmill running really slow for a couple minutes until I got tired then walking for a while. I did cycles like that for about half an hour. Then one day it was so nice out I had to try a run...so I ran super slow for half an hour and I've just been slowly adding time as I feel ready. I've found that the more I eat, the farther I can run. I've been eating tons of the Enjoy Life brand cookies and that has helped me a lot :P Just start slow and that seems to help a lot...I am always one that hated having to take walk breaks but it really helped me to get back into running. The 5K was easy...I was ready to run 10 more miles after...now to look like a normal person again :rolleyes:

AshleyE Apprentice

I was a runner too, until I got sick, lost weight and had absolutely no energy. I've been gluten-free for almost three months now, and I feel great. I am training for my first half-marathon in Sept. I have the same problem as you, I eat and eat and I'm just losing more weight. I have found that rice and beans are a great source of protein and carbs, and they fill me up better than breads. Also, almonds, cashews, etc. Nuts are nice and high in calories and good fats, and they stick with you. For breakfast sometimes I'll have peanut butter toast, it keeps me full a lot longer than cereal does.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

corinne Apprentice

Right now, I can't eat gluten, corn, rice, potatos, soy, beans, cruciferous veggies or dairy, but I have found that I can make it work it terms of calories. I don't run more than 5 miles or hike more than 15 because my weight is still low, but I am training and I set a personal best for a 5k in June. I eat about 1/2 a cup of peanut butter (natural) and two bananas for breakfast. I snack on avocados and add lots of olive oil to my foods. Fats are 9 calories per gram whereas carbs and protein are 4 so I focus on lots of healthy fats.

• 1 month later...
taz sharratt Enthusiast
This morning I ran in a 5K...haven't been allowed to run too much since I lost a lot of weight when this whole food intolerance thing started. But my husband let me run this morning and I had a good time...until I looked at the pictures he took...I finally see why people look at me funny when I run. They all probably think I have an eating disorder or something. I really want to start training again but I still need to put on more weight. I've been eating a good 5,000 calories a day but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

Has anyone else started exercising before gaining back weight? What do you eat when gluten, dairy, soy, and corn are out and I don't like meat (especially red meat) that much? I don't want to look like a running skeleton...and I'm tired of all the looks. :unsure:

ive foung that doing weights and have ing a high protien diet has really helped me. what about a protien shake.

Archived