This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Other Intolerances

Kaycee

Kaycee Collaborator

Unfortunately some of us have other intolerances as well.

What I want to know, is like it says in books and on the internet, these intolerances, such as milk can go away after abstaining for a few months from the offending product. I know our intolerance for gluten is here for life.

So has anybody come through the other side of these intolerances and can eat dairy, soy or whatever again without any problems? And if you can, how long did it take?

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I was intolerant to soy at first. I think it was for two or three months. I also had dairy intolerance, which is still coming and going.

Nancy

Kaycee Collaborator

Nancy, that sounds encouraging. So I guess I will have to stick with it and try soy, or dairy at a later date.

Thanks

Cathy

Nancym Enthusiast

I think it depends on whether you're intolerant of lactose or casein. If it is the casein (protein), then no. That is permanent. If it was lactose (sugar), then you might be ok once the villi grow back. Maybe... if you create the enzyme to digest it.

gfp Enthusiast
I think it depends on whether you're intolerant of lactose or casein. If it is the casein (protein), then no. That is permanent. If it was lactose (sugar), then you might be ok once the villi grow back. Maybe... if you create the enzyme to digest it.

Pretty much what I was going to post ....

I think even with casein I have mild reactions but if I'm otherwise healthy I can put up with them.

The effect is nowhere near as strong as gluten for me but I do get awfully bunged up....

If you end up with a sinus infection or similar then this can be a real pain but otherwise is mostly an annoyance.

kabowman Explorer

I haven't been able to add anything back in yet. My docs (3 different ones) all agree that because I have so many intolerances, it is unlikely that I will ever be able to eat these foods again.

However, my ears (yes ears) go through phases that last for several years and sometimes I can wear any earings, sometimes I can only wear nickle free, and other times I can only use titanium. I am currently going through a titanium only stage now and have to switch all my new earings over.

So, maybe in a couple of years, I can go back on corn or soy??? Who knows...

marciab Enthusiast

This is similar to what I was asking about on my ice cream post :)

I started adding foods back in as soon as my bm's normalized and I was no longer having cramps everytime I ate. About 4 - 6 months gluten free.

I've been at this for a year now, but I'd guess things really got much better about 2 months ago. Or I at least figured out that I could relax and try things again.

I have added things back very slowly though. I would add something back and then wait a day befroe trying it again.

Kefir and yogurt are good for testing your dairy intolerances because the process the go through allows them to digest easier.

Eggs still tear me up, but I keep trying them. I am experimenting with ice cream now. :D

Hang in there. It gets better ... :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I first found out I had food allergies/intolerances/sensitivities a little over 10 years ago. I was told that if I avoided those foods for a long time and got my digestive tract healed, then I would "probably" be able to start adding them back in a year or two. That worked for things like bananas, lentils and peanuts, but definitely not wheat or gluten, milk, soy or eggs. Although I can eat a bite or two of something with soy or 3-4 cookies out of a batch of about 48 made with one egg in it and not have a major reaction . Whenever I try to add milk products (except small amounts of butter and raw goat cheese or goat yogurt) my skin (psoriasis) breaks out and I generally feel yucky.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Soy is poison no matter how you look at it.

Pick up the book DANGEROUS GRAINS you will get a better understanding of these secondary food allergies. Don't kid yourself it just gets worse. It took me 5 years to find out the truth. Something no one ever tells us about - that is the -- ROTATION DIET -- rotate (3 to 5 days out) the things you are eating so you WILL NOT develop the secondary food allergies. Then very slow you try to reintroduce small amounts and rotate a week or two weeks.

It is helping me and others that are doing it.

Archived