This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sometimes This Really Sucks

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I don't normally complain about having celiac (or about anything really), but I literally spent the majority of Saturday night moping. This isn't really a complaint as much as a vent and I just know you guys will understand so I just wanted to share my feelings with people that will understand.

I had a bachleorette party for a friend and they chose to go Lucky Changs for dinner which is a Chinese restaurant / drag club in the city. I ate before hand because I knew I wouldn't be able to eat there but from the time I ate till we actually went out was about 5 hrs. And then about an hour in everyone ordered food. So now I was already a little hungry but watching everyone shovel food into their faces was just making me hungrier and start pitying myself. Ofcourse from there we went to another club. So basically fast forward to 3:30 am and I'm starving, been drinking so ofcourse I desperately wanted food... and I couldn't have anything - but ofcourse everyone else could go to the bagel shop next to the club that was open (yes there is a bagel shop open at 4:00am in NY next to a club - lol).

I guess I felt the need to vent because this was probably the 1st time I haven't been able to find something for myself and not feel like such an outkast. I've always been naturally thin and I felt so uncomfortable with people at the restaurant staring at me with the wondering looks of why is this girl not eating a thing, and not being able to eat something when I was so hungry.

Ok done whining. Thanks for letting me. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bklynceliac Apprentice

Ha, jk, I know your pain well. I am also a New Yorker and have experienced many of those late night evenings when I'm dying for a snack and just can't have one. There's something so integral to the New York culture of drinking late, then eating something awful at 3 am, and we can't. It stinks. And then you'll tell someone you're hungry, they'll ask why you're not eating and you don't want to do into the whole gluten thing, so you just avoid the conversation. Nothing more rockin that pulling out a small apple sauce cup in a bar at 2 in the morning. Anyway, just wanted to say I'm with ya...

key Contributor

Jillian,

I am sorry you had a rotten night. I do think that people not understanding and having to starve to death at times is the worst part of having celiac. I had a woman literally "yell" one night while we were out to dinner for my husbands graduation with about 75 people there, "Is that all you are eating??". I only had fruit on my plate. Of course everyone turns to stare and I have to mumble that I am allergic to wheat. The short version that I choose when answering ingnorant rude people! She just thought I was anorexic since I am skinny, so she thought she would embarrass me.

You can always come here to vent! We all understand. It can be a very "lonely" disease at times, but I am greatful too.

Monica

mookie03 Contributor

Jillian--

I so feel for you! I have that feeling a lot- when i go out drinking or eating w/ a big group of people...it does suck. But think of it this way, in the past, you would have gone out drinking then eaten that bagel and how bad did you feel the next day? (always thought it was a hangover but now i know otherwise!)

The inconvenience is annoying- especially since we live in the city of convenience, but its ok to feel bad for yourself every once in a while and complain about it-- thats what we are all here for!!! :D

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Ha, jk, I know your pain well. I am also a New Yorker and have experienced many of those late night evenings when I'm dying for a snack and just can't have one. There's something so integral to the New York culture of drinking late, then eating something awful at 3 am, and we can't. It stinks. And then you'll tell someone you're hungry, they'll ask why you're not eating and you don't want to do into the whole gluten thing, so you just avoid the conversation. Nothing more rockin that pulling out a small apple sauce cup in a bar at 2 in the morning. Anyway, just wanted to say I'm with ya...

OMG, Exactly!!! It's like part of NY culture that you go out drinking to ridiculous hours and there are still places open to get a meal afterwards. I was just feeling sorry for myself yknow.

Jillian,

I am sorry you had a rotten night. I do think that people not understanding and having to starve to death at times is the worst part of having celiac. I had a woman literally "yell" one night while we were out to dinner for my husbands graduation with about 75 people there, "Is that all you are eating??". I only had fruit on my plate. Of course everyone turns to stare and I have to mumble that I am allergic to wheat. The short version that I choose when answering ingnorant rude people! She just thought I was anorexic since I am skinny, so she thought she would embarrass me.

You can always come here to vent! We all understand. It can be a very "lonely" disease at times, but I am greatful too.

Monica

Yeah I'm also naturally really thin, and nothing like having a bunch of drag queens staring at you wondering why the skinniest girl at the table isn't eating a thing. Just makes you feel awkward.

Archived