This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Intolerance Or Just Ibs/ Gerd?

carolinagirl

carolinagirl Rookie

Hello! I am new to this site & I have been going to and from different dr.s trying to figure this whole thing out. I had my Gallbladder removed in Jan 1999. Since then, I had the usual D after a high fat meal and then my "gasiness" for lack of a better term- began. I would not be that way all the time, though. Feb 2005, I got a horendous flu like stomach virus that almost killed me, literally. I am pretty sure there was nothing left in me at all after that, I had 3 seizures due to the absolute dehydration. After that, that year, I had so much D! I though this was weird as I have always been the opposite! The gas got worse and then the stomach burn started & a pain from my belly button to between my ribs. one GI Dr. said it was celiac disease, I tested neg. on blood test. I am currently wating on results on my genetic test from last week. My new GI dr. is certain I have GERD and I am going to get Enterolab since myinsurance won't pay much on the endoscopy. I have been gluten-free since Jan. I have had some gluten in my diet by accident with no complications sometimes & then other times, full of gas! What is weird is that I haven't had the horrible lower ab pain as others have described, jsut hte bruning ulce-like pain in my stomach. I am scared to test myself by eating gluten, because I know htat there are life-threatening complications. Has anyone had an experience similar to mine? should i be scared to do a gluten challenge? Thanks for the advice! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast

Hi Carolinagirl! Welcome! My IBS seemed like a life sentince. Then I developed GERD so bad I thought I was going to die (often "throwing up" food after a meal, had to go on Nexium AND Reglan). I got an Lame Advertisement test for food intolerances that showed gluten. Through research, found out about celiac disease. You symptoms sound just like mine (though I never had a surgery that brought things on......).

The blood test may have been thrown off my a number of things. And there are people here that nad neg blood work, but positive EnteroLab or dietary response. My bloodwork was "borderline", but the EnteroLab was not, and neither was my Lame Advertisement or the genetic test! Any lab can mess up something.....

Anyway, if the gluten-free diet makes you feel healthier, then many people here would tell you to stick with it. If you NEED the testing from the DR (for further proof to yourself, or your family, or other docs) then you need to eat gluten to get the bloodwork to be positive. But I will say that when I tried to do a gluten challenge, it was so hard because my body had felt so good gluten-free, that when I did get sick, it was sooooo bad!!!! I made it 3 days, and gave up! I was laying on the floor in the bathroom crying......

But! There are other people here (and I will let them speak for themselves) that are almost 3 months into a challenge so they can have the endo. So that is really up to you. But I do hope you are feeling better, and welcome to the group!!! Night night, Tiffany

carolinagirl Rookie

Thank you for sharing your experience & knowledge. It is difficult to discern which problem you might have bc the symptoms are so similar. I got on Nexium last week & my reflux is a lot better, although still difficult to swallow. I think the main issue is finding a dr. who will work with you. Still waiting on my Prometheus blood test results for the gene. Am not sure if need to order Enterolab if they are negative???

Nancym Enthusiast

Have you been checked for H. Pylori? It is the bacteria that causes ulcers.

carolinagirl Rookie

hi- No, I haven't done that yet. Do you know what is involved in testing for that? Thanks :)

Nancym Enthusiast

I think H. Pylori is checked with saliva or breath, although I have heard of some people using endoscopy to check for it too. So, really... I don't know what is currently being used.

penguin Community Regular
I think H. Pylori is checked with saliva or breath, although I have heard of some people using endoscopy to check for it too. So, really... I don't know what is currently being used.

h. pylori is checked through blood (they've done this test on me about 8000 times :rolleyes: ), although they can look for it in an endoscopy as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived