This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Morning Cruel World.

Green Fingered Gaelic

Green Fingered Gaelic Newbie

Sometimes as a Celiac you awake and it feels like its the first day of your life.

I love the words of Kurt Vonnegut in Timequake 'I've been sick for a long time, I'm better now, and there is allot of work to do'.

This morning I woke up feeling tremendous pain. I sat on the edge of my bed as I tried to figure what was happening to me. In a split second a number of thoughts crossed my mind. :blink:

1-I'm on a plantet going around the sun.

2-I've been around the sun 26 times

3-My name is . . .

4-I'm human, even if I don't feel it, thats what I am.

5-Some part of my sixth chromosone is labeled DQB

6-Thats why I'm feeling tremendous.

As I sit there, in my t shirt and boxer shorts, I try to figure what this new sensation is. I haven't felt this in a while. Its like an egg of glowing pain in the middle of my chest. A moment later I realise that I'm feeling explosive, that this ain't the time to be sitting around, its time for the loo. :ph34r:

I put on my slippers and plod down stairs, across a hall, into the kitchen. I begin my accent of the stairs and this glorious golden ball of pain shoots up suddenly. It travels at vomit speed, 4 times the speed of light. I put my hand over my mouth to stop myself redecorating the stairs with this elegent shade of purple (Vino was the last thing I had before bed last night at 10:30), allas, I'm too old and I'm too slow.

java script:add_smilie(":wacko:","smid_18")

wacko.gif

I question my direction, and reset my course for the kitchen sink. Arhgburbahhh, there she blows. Again my nervous system relays a message to the brain. You need a poo. Often I feel explosive even though I don't have the dreaded diarhorror. I get to the toilet and unload my stools. Fine examples. java script:add_smilie(":)","smid_13")

smile.gif

I look in the mirror. I really have been meaning to shave. When I covered my mouth on the stairs I'd dyed my beard. I couldn't help but laugh at the haggard purple bearded man looking back at me in the mirror. java script:add_smilie(":wub:","smid_14")

wub.gif

I wash myself up and start the day. I'm a cheesemaker in th west of Ireland. I make really good cheese from local milk. Thats how I make my living. Its a business my parents began 30 years ago and 3 years ago my mother managed to convince me to drop my media career, the girl I'd been living with for 3 years and my whole life in dublin; to come home and run the business.

As soon as I returned home, my mother left, leaving me with an awful lot of work and learning to do. So I does it all, and even build myself a little challet (small house) in the process. The entire three years I've been experiencing the joys of celiac life. It makes life that little bit more challenging.

So Today after a tremendous start, I gotta clean myself up (you have to be spotless to make cheese), I gotta clean every inch of my cheese plant, turn every cheese, salt some cheese. About 8 hours work. Yesterday I worked for ten hours, and I haven't had a day off since the first of August.

I'm also hoping to go visit my sister as its my nieces birthday today. Its a very special day, because when she was born it was only by pure luck that she and my sis lived.

So here I am feeling all these things. I just want to share this feeling and how I cope with it. Everything I just spoke about happened or was on my mind between 5:50 and 6am.

I needed a bath and a shave anyhoos so that doesn't count. Those ten glorious minutes I can put at the back of mind, but I know that everytime I look in a mirror I'm gonna see that beardy boy ;-)

Finally to all of you who want to be sympathetic, I don't want your sympathy. I just wanna get on with life, and I thought by maybe starting a blog here I could vent my spleen to people who vageuly understand what I'm feeling. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Did you self diagnose celiac?

Hope you're feeling better after that episode.

As to working, you work on Sundays too? Or is the Sunday work not as intensive (just check on the the already made cheeses and clean the machines)?

cgilsing Enthusiast

How is your day coming? I hope you are feeling some better!

Thanks Debbie65, I wanted you to laugh. I wanted to get rid of the negitive energy in a postive way. Thanks to you guys and this wonderful forum, I have.

Debmidge, I was diagnosed aged 2, first by my granny. Eventually a doctor reluctently booked me a biobsy which confirmed the results. I went gluten-free age two but the biobsy was much later. I only know because I remember doing it, and not thinking it he biobsy was as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be.

I'm determined to build myself a completely gluten-free lifestyle. Its just every time I get there, it gets further away. I'm set on a path now which will see me starting a new life when I move into this house I'm building. At the point of plastering it now.

Sunday can be easier work wise if I manage it so. However it takes 14 days of care to make each cheese. It takes two weeks to wind up or wind down. Hence I try to only break once a year. I could do it an easier way but I'm all about making a world class cheese, and the best way is to make regularly, hence the bacteria from the older cheeses colonise the younger ones. The silver lining is that I get to take all of dec and jan off B)

After this morning I completely scubbed myself down, shaved and went for a walk with my dog before dawning the boots, gloves, hat, white top and bib I wear in my clinically clean cheese plant.

How is your day coming? I hope you are feeling some better!

Very much thank you.

IrishKelly Contributor
Sometimes as a Celiac you awake and it feels like its the first day of your life.

I love the words of Kurt Vonnegut in Timequake 'I've been sick for a long time, I'm better now, and there is allot of work to do'.

This morning I woke up feeling tremendous pain. I sat on the edge of my bed as I tried to figure what was happening to me. In a split second a number of thoughts crossed my mind. :blink:

1-I'm on a plantet going around the sun.

2-I've been around the sun 26 times

3-My name is . . .

4-I'm human, even if I don't feel it, thats what I am.

5-Some part of my sixth chromosone is labeled DQB

6-Thats why I'm feeling tremendous.

As I sit there, in my t shirt and boxer shorts, I try to figure what this new sensation is. I haven't felt this in a while. Its like an egg of glowing pain in the middle of my chest. A moment later I realise that I'm feeling explosive, that this ain't the time to be sitting around, its time for the loo. :ph34r:

I put on my slippers and plod down stairs, across a hall, into the kitchen. I begin my accent of the stairs and this glorious golden ball of pain shoots up suddenly. It travels at vomit speed, 4 times the speed of light. I put my hand over my mouth to stop myself redecorating the stairs with this elegent shade of purple (Vino was the last thing I had before bed last night at 10:30), allas, I'm too old and I'm too slow.

java script:add_smilie(":wacko:","smid_18")

wacko.gif

I question my direction, and reset my course for the kitchen sink. Arhgburbahhh, there she blows. Again my nervous system relays a message to the brain. You need a poo. Often I feel explosive even though I don't have the dreaded diarhorror. I get to the toilet and unload my stools. Fine examples. java script:add_smilie(":)","smid_13")

smile.gif

I look in the mirror. I really have been meaning to shave. When I covered my mouth on the stairs I'd dyed my beard. I couldn't help but laugh at the haggard purple bearded man looking back at me in the mirror. java script:add_smilie(":wub:","smid_14")

wub.gif

I wash myself up and start the day. I'm a cheesemaker in th west of Ireland. I make really good cheese from local milk. Thats how I make my living. Its a business my parents began 30 years ago and 3 years ago my mother managed to convince me to drop my media career, the girl I'd been living with for 3 years and my whole life in dublin; to come home and run the business.

As soon as I returned home, my mother left, leaving me with an awful lot of work and learning to do. So I does it all, and even build myself a little challet (small house) in the process. The entire three years I've been experiencing the joys of celiac life. It makes life that little bit more challenging.

So Today after a tremendous start, I gotta clean myself up (you have to be spotless to make cheese), I gotta clean every inch of my cheese plant, turn every cheese, salt some cheese. About 8 hours work. Yesterday I worked for ten hours, and I haven't had a day off since the first of August.

I'm also hoping to go visit my sister as its my nieces birthday today. Its a very special day, because when she was born it was only by pure luck that she and my sis lived.

So here I am feeling all these things. I just want to share this feeling and how I cope with it. Everything I just spoke about happened or was on my mind between 5:50 and 6am.

I needed a bath and a shave anyhoos so that doesn't count. Those ten glorious minutes I can put at the back of mind, but I know that everytime I look in a mirror I'm gonna see that beardy boy ;-)

Finally to all of you who want to be sympathetic, I don't want your sympathy. I just wanna get on with life, and I thought by maybe starting a blog here I could vent my spleen to people who vageuly understand what I'm feeling. B)

Glad to hear you were able to eventually get out to walk the dog :D

debmidge Rising Star

What have you been doing wrong with Celiac in the past 3 years? Or do you have the type of celiac that doesn't feel better being gluten-free?

queenofhearts Explorer

Sounds like you got glutened but good-- green fingers & a purple beard, sounds like a fauvist painting!

I wish I could taste some of your cheeses!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

You guys are all so nice. Your group support has lifted me so much higher than I otherwise would have been today. ;)

When I was writing that this morning I was kinda thinkin of how we all get those glamourous moments, the sort of moments you wouldn't tell your best friend, but moments we've all have some of. Makes me feel less weird. Kinda hoped it would make you that read it feel less weird too.

My mistakes recently have been trusting things that say their gluten-free or that you'd expect to be. That, cross contamination, and from on holiday. Hopefully I should be feeling better soon its just at the moment my symptoms are this aching everywhere thang. I'm getting more sensitive and more severe the less gluten I'm taking in. I am aiming for an entirely gluten free life, just sometimes when plastics are stopped sticking using gluten, or when a processor also process wheat and still prints gluten free on its other products.

BTW A funny thing I just noticed, on the right of this page their are google ads. Some of them are for Wheat Gluten! Can't imagine their selling much of that via here! THo in a sense it just shows how hard it is for us to get away from that protien. Not even our gluten free forum is entirely gluten free. Ha!

Finally, got to that birthday party in the end, so its all good! Though looking at the food and the kids(Bout 30), I had a nasty feeling one of em was bound to be undiagnosed and getting glutenated. When I was a kid at those parties I used to think the popcorn and choc rice cakes were kosher, but if i had them now, the trace from on other peoples hands would make me react to the pop corn, and the malt on the rice cakes would have done like wise.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Funny thing how you can talk about poop and vomit to other celiacs and get a laugh ... talk that way to your other friends, they just look at you like a freak!! I'm glad you have your humor through the illness, that's what I try to do, too.

I play flute ... I play every Sunday morning at Mass at our Church. Today I could hardly stand, let alone read the music. I just stood a little further away from the mike, and at one point looked for the shortest route to the bathroom in case the nausea got too bad. Fortunately, I made it through mass, and no one really noticed how badly I played as I was too far from the mike! My kids said, "Mom, I could hardly hear you today!"

IrishKelly Contributor
Funny thing how you can talk about poop and vomit to other celiacs and get a laugh ... talk that way to your other friends, they just look at you like a freak!! I'm glad you have your humor through the illness, that's what I try to do, too.

I play flute ... I play every Sunday morning at Mass at our Church. Today I could hardly stand, let alone read the music. I just stood a little further away from the mike, and at one point looked for the shortest route to the bathroom in case the nausea got too bad. Fortunately, I made it through mass, and no one really noticed how badly I played as I was too far from the mike! My kids said, "Mom, I could hardly hear you today!"

Glad to hear there's another flute player here :D

CarlaB Enthusiast
Glad to hear there's another flute player here :D

:D:D:D

I can't remember where you are in Indiana? Do you play with any group or band?

IrishKelly Contributor
:D:D:D

I can't remember where you are in Indiana? Do you play with any group or band?

I'm in Crown Point, about 45 minutes south of Chicago...i actually moved out here from South Chicago Suburbs about 5 years ago. And no, i played for 12 years and eventually gave it up in college...which was soooo dumb because i was first chair for so many years. When i got married almost 6 years back i hired a really good flute and piano player for my wedding and they wre great. Anyway, i now only play for my 4 year old son (who will actually be 5 next week) and my daughter who is almost 7 months old. I'm hoping to teach her one day...maybe if i continue to play for her i can hand my flute down to her (or maybe i should keep it for duets :) )

Guest ~jules~

Sorry about your morning :blink: I have had many a middle of the night and mornings like this one, I hope you are feeling better now :D I agree with carlab its soo funny how you can talk about it with other celiacs and its no big deal, however if you talk to your family or friends about the eh hem "problems" :blink: they blush and look at you like "why are you talking to me about your poo?" I hope tommorrow is a better day for you, take care Julie

Thanks Jules,

Thats it, here we can talk and understand each other. You talk to friends and family and they look at you like your a sick puppy.

Sympathy can be nice, but its not really that helpful.

The understanding and support from you guys is great.

Thanks again.

Just gotta copy and paste this ad over, maybe it doesn't appear on your ones. On the right of my screen there are ads from google, some are for gluten-free food and that but this one:

Wheat protein

Producer of wheat gluten, wheat protein vital or devital

www.krnovskrob.cz

Advertise on this site

Is just down right rude!

eKatherine Rookie
Just gotta copy and paste this ad over, maybe it doesn't appear on your ones. On the right of my screen there are ads from google, some are for gluten-free food and that but this one:

Wheat protein

Producer of wheat gluten, wheat protein vital or devital

www.krnovskrob.cz

Advertise on this site

Is just down right rude!

The program that puts in those ads is very smart but not very versatile. It looks at the site's keywords and sitename and tries to match with ads for your region. When it didn't find enough "gluten-free" ads, it then went to less perfect matches to find "gluten" ads.

I used to go to a hair care site called "long hair loom". Don't you know, all the ads were for looms and textile making supplies.

I wish I could try your cheese. I used to love cow's milk cheese.

oceangirl Collaborator
The program that puts in those ads is very smart but not very versatile. It looks at the site's keywords and sitename and tries to match with ads for your region. When it didn't find enough "gluten-free" ads, it then went to less perfect matches to find "gluten" ads.

I used to go to a hair care site called "long hair loom". Don't you know, all the ads were for looms and textile making supplies.

I wish I could try your cheese. I used to love cow's milk cheese.

Quin?

You crack me up! I, too, wish I could try your cheeses. Right now the closest I'm going to get to eating cheese is watching Wallace and Grommit- which can be pretty satisfying, actually. I hope you feel better. I have bad nights and they are recently horrible again after being much better for a month or so. Gets me pretty bloody depressed as I have no uninterrupted sleep and lots of pain! You are reminding me to find a way to laugh about this. By the way, purple being one of my favorite colors- we build furniture and paint it kind of funky-like and purple and orange is one of my favorite combos- good thing it was the wine last thing before bed. Spousal equivalent is Irish and we're hoping to head there some day!

Take good care!

lisa

So here is a continuation of my previous post.

So most of us here sitting in the coping with being a celiac homo sapien forum spend most of our time b%$@#in about how miserable life is when we've got the aul dqb chromosone. Well dig this. Imagine if being a celiac, or a coeliac as we call em in eupope, wasn't the crappiest thing in your life. Imagine if you had ten thousand more crappier things knockin at your door. Well thats where I'm at, and you know what. I'm freekin happy, I'm delighted to be alive and to be experiencing this rollercoaster we like to call life.

However, today was a crappy day. I salted my cheese, I turned all my others, I cleaned my cheese plant. I started work at 8am hopin to be finished by 1pm so that I could get back to plastering my house (Thats a finality on building your own home fyi all you dumb gnut diyers). Then bling, memory kicks in. Photi time.

I entertained a photographer(3hrs) who wants to do pictorials with the previous freeking run up to the follow on to the article to the one before but this'lll be the one afterwards which will be like star wars 9.

Now thats a day, and now I'm tired.

Tho I'd just like to say this.

Thank you guys, I had a really bad start to Sunday. If that had happened on Monday today wouldn't be Thursday, yesterday wouldn't have been Wednesday and I wouldn't be smiling.

You guys have been so encouraging to me just to write. Which is somethang I was trained to do. Fell in love with, fell out of love with, and right now am just stumbling around a forum with. Whispering and screaming in the dark; just generally fumbling around with my keyboard.

Oh yea, ohhhhh yea. I like it like that.

-------------------------------------------

Ocean girl, I'm so glad you enjoyed something. That makes me so happy.

I'm sorry to hear about those sleepless painfull moments I know how lonely that can be.

Maybe I should redecorate your stairs sometime ;-)

BTW Wallace and Grommit ROCK. If you can't eat cheese then they are the next best thing.

--------------------------------

eKathrine, I hear ya, I'm just sayin its ironic. Believe me I appreciate the rationale behind googles ad listings. I'm just saying that when you spend your life avoiding gluten its pretty ironic for them to advertise it on the glutenfreeforum no matter what technicality.

Though I know you know that and your just pointing out the rationale. I appreciate that, now appreciate my joke <u laff>?

-----------------------------------

ps eKath I wish you could eat ma cheese. It really works wonders for my stomache bacteria after glutenation its like natural probiotics!

Archived