This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flax Seed

lindalee

lindalee Enthusiast

Read somewhere on here that Flax was a grain. Thought is is a seed. I take the oil in my smoothies and am avoiding all grains now. Have a rash and itch on the nape of my neck and am trying to find the culprit. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Flax is a seed, not a grain. Which doesn't necessarily mean that you can't be having a reaction to it, of course.

lindalee Enthusiast
Flax is a seed, not a grain. Which doesn't necessarily mean that you can't be having a reaction to it, of course.

Thank you very much :)

RiceGuy Collaborator

I guess my only comment on this right now is that I hope you are aware that Flax oil is very perishable, and should be sold and kept in refrigerated brown glass containers only. You can freeze it too, though still it is recommended to use it a short time. I seem to recall six weeks being suggested, though I'd have to look it up again. If it begins to go rancid, you may have a reaction to that even if you don't taste the difference.

mamaw Community Regular

Yes, by all means keep liquid flax in refridge and throw out once expiration has expired...I get or used to get that itch on my neck too... doctor said it was a reaction to something but I'm super sensitive to just about everything on this planet!!!!!!!If anyone even touches the nap of my neck I get so itchy- including my spouse. It's weird that I have lived with him and shared a life with him including children but when he touches my neck I go mad with itching........Nothing better than feeling like a dog with fleas!!!!!!!!!!

Lindalee-- your not alone...

mamaw

trents Grand Master

What's the difference between a grain and a seed? To me, the wheat or corn kernel is the seed of the plant.

Steve

lindalee Enthusiast
Yes, by all means keep liquid flax in refridge and throw out once expiration has expired...I get or used to get that itch on my neck too... doctor said it was a reaction to something but I'm super sensitive to just about everything on this planet!!!!!!!If anyone even touches the nap of my neck I get so itchy- including my spouse. It's weird that I have lived with him and shared a life with him including children but when he touches my neck I go mad with itching........Nothing better than feeling like a dog with fleas!!!!!!!!!!

Lindalee-- your not alone...

mamaw

Thank you :) My other rashes went away but this one is hanging on <_<

Can't figure out what is causing it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

The difference is this:

All grains are seeds, but not all seeds are grains.

Is that as clear as mud? :lol::lol:

trents Grand Master
The difference is this:

All grains are seeds, but not all seeds are grains.

Is that as clear as mud? :lol::lol:

Yea, that makes since. But why is flax a seed but not a grain? Never seen flax grow but I am under the impression it grows on stalks like wheat or oats and has a head.

Steve

gfp Enthusiast
Yea, that makes since. But why is flax a seed but not a grain? Never seen flax grow but I am under the impression it grows on stalks like wheat or oats and has a head.

Steve

A true cereals are grass family.

Archived