Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lindalee

Flax Seed

Read somewhere on here that Flax was a grain. Thought is is a seed. I take the oil in my smoothies and am avoiding all grains now. Have a rash and itch on the nape of my neck and am trying to find the culprit. <_<

Lee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Flax is a seed, not a grain. Which doesn't necessarily mean that you can't be having a reaction to it, of course.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flax is a seed, not a grain. Which doesn't necessarily mean that you can't be having a reaction to it, of course.

Thank you very much :)

Lee

I guess my only comment on this right now is that I hope you are aware that Flax oil is very perishable, and should be sold and kept in refrigerated brown glass containers only. You can freeze it too, though still it is recommended to use it a short time. I seem to recall six weeks being suggested, though I'd have to look it up again. If it begins to go rancid, you may have a reaction to that even if you don't taste the difference.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Yes, by all means keep liquid flax in refridge and throw out once expiration has expired...I get or used to get that itch on my neck too... doctor said it was a reaction to something but I'm super sensitive to just about everything on this planet!!!!!!!If anyone even touches the nap of my neck I get so itchy- including my spouse. It's weird that I have lived with him and shared a life with him including children but when he touches my neck I go mad with itching........Nothing better than feeling like a dog with fleas!!!!!!!!!!

Lindalee-- your not alone...

mamaw

Yes, by all means keep liquid flax in refridge and throw out once expiration has expired...I get or used to get that itch on my neck too... doctor said it was a reaction to something but I'm super sensitive to just about everything on this planet!!!!!!!If anyone even touches the nap of my neck I get so itchy- including my spouse. It's weird that I have lived with him and shared a life with him including children but when he touches my neck I go mad with itching........Nothing better than feeling like a dog with fleas!!!!!!!!!!

Lindalee-- your not alone...

mamaw

Thank you :) My other rashes went away but this one is hanging on <_<

Can't figure out what is causing it.

Lee

The difference is this:

All grains are seeds, but not all seeds are grains.

Is that as clear as mud? :lol::lol:

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

The difference is this:

All grains are seeds, but not all seeds are grains.

Is that as clear as mud? :lol::lol:

Yea, that makes since. But why is flax a seed but not a grain? Never seen flax grow but I am under the impression it grows on stalks like wheat or oats and has a head.

Steve

Yea, that makes since. But why is flax a seed but not a grain? Never seen flax grow but I am under the impression it grows on stalks like wheat or oats and has a head.

Steve

A true cereals are grass family.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)