Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkmunchkin

Speaking Of Knishes.... Another Restaurant With A gluten-free Menu

I mentioned awhile back that my family was starting a gluten free menu in one of our restaurants... well we did, and it's all set!

We don't have gluten free knishes (sorry), but we are a traditional Kosher restaurant (take out deli counter and sit down service). In the past 5 years, we have been voted by the readers of Westchester Magazine best pastrami and/or best kosher restaurant (depending on the year it was different categories).

We have lettuce wrap sandwiches of any of the cold cuts including: pastrami, corned beef, turkey, salami, roast beef, tongue, turkey-pastrami, ect.

Some entrees include: goulash over rice (it's like beef stew), omlettes, roast chicken, skirt steak and lots more.

Oh and the best soups!!! We have chicken rice every day and a soup of the day alternating throughout the week. Chicken Florentine (one of my personal favorites), Lentil (or another favorite), Potato and Pea Soup.

There is more stuff, but this is off the top of my head.

Here's the info:

Epsteins Kosher Deli

385 N. Central Avenue

Hartsdale, NY 10530

914-428-5320

I'm not there during the week, but if anyone was to stop by on a Saturday or Sunday around lunchtime or mid-afternoon, there is always a good chance I'm there eating or just saying hello.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

hey I actually went there over the summer and it was soooo good!!! Your mom and dad are really nice. You have to thank them for me :) I have a random question, I remember reading that you've gone to a hibachi restaurant and had no problems. Which hibachi restaurant did you go to and what did you say to them?

Thanks

Erica

That's fabulous! Next time I'm visiting my grandma in Hastings maybe I'll stop by...

*Gluten free since 7/06

*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

hey I actually went there over the summer and it was soooo good!!! Your mom and dad are really nice. You have to thank them for me :) I have a random question, I remember reading that you've gone to a hibachi restaurant and had no problems. Which hibachi restaurant did you go to and what did you say to them?

Thanks

Erica

Thanks Erica!!!

We've been getting a great response from people.

Funny you should mention the hibachi place. I just went there again Saturday night. We go to Noda's in White Plains. I bring my San-J wheat free soy sauce with me, and the first time I brought my Triumph Dining card. I don't often use them (actually that was the 1st time I tried it), but I was afraid it might be to complicated to explain. I basically gave them the card and the soy sauce and explained that while my husband could have his food prepared with everyone elses, I needed them to cook mine in the back in a clean pan with clean utensils.

When we went this time I did the same, and was very pleasantly suprised that even though it had been probably over a month since the last time I was there, the waitress came back within a couple minutes with the dining card and said, "the chef has cooked for you before hasn't he?" I told her he had, and she said he remembers how to make my food!

They are really nice and accomodating there.

Jillian

Inflamed stomach lining

Tarrytown, NY

Yay!! you just got me really excited because I love Noda's. That's where my boyfriend wants to go for he's b-day. Well I'm going in two weeeks, so let's see what happens. Thanks

Yay!! you just got me really excited because I love Noda's. That's where my boyfriend wants to go for he's b-day. Well I'm going in two weeeks, so let's see what happens. Thanks

Yeah we love Noda's!! It was one of our favorite places before being diagnosed and I was so happy to figure out a way to continue going there.

Good luck for you boyfriends birthday. Let me know how it goes.

Jillian

Inflamed stomach lining

Tarrytown, NY

Yeah we love Noda's!! It was one of our favorite places before being diagnosed and I was so happy to figure out a way to continue going there.

Good luck for you boyfriends birthday. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks! we are going tonight. I'm really excited. :) But I have one more question, is it okay to have the salad with the dressing and the soup?

Thanks! we are going tonight. I'm really excited. :) But I have one more question, is it okay to have the salad with the dressing and the soup?

I'm so sorry I just saw this. I wasn't on all day. Unfortunately neither the salad dressing or the soup are safe. They usually just give me some oil and vinegar for the salad. I would have thought the soup was ok, but the manager (or owner) informed me that they add a tiny bit of soy sauce to it.

Let me know how it went!!!!!

Jillian

Inflamed stomach lining

Tarrytown, NY

It was soo good. At first the lady didn't understand me. She said that they will cook my food with everybody else but just put my soy sauce. but then I explained better and they cooked it in the back. it was really good . This is the first time that I went to Noda's and my stomach didn't hurt. Then after I had a piece of homemade cheesecake. It was great. :)

I so wish I lived closer so I could go to your parents restaurant! It sounds perfect! Any chance you'll open another one in Boston???

I second the opening of a restaurant in Boston!!! :)

Megan

Diagnosed Celiac in Feb 2004

Boston, MA

I so wish I lived closer so I could go to your parents restaurant! It sounds perfect! Any chance you'll open another one in Boston???

Well Boston is a bit far away from me to open and operate it.... but I'll never say never :)

Jillian

Inflamed stomach lining

Tarrytown, NY