Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quaxo

Wheat Grass (not Full Grown) Is Gluten-free?

Wheat grass juice is widely declared to be a virtual panacea because of, for one thing, its high chlorophyll content. Assuming it contained gluten, I asked somebody if there was anything just as good that is gluten-free (though I never have believed wheat to be the Staff of Life!). She replied that celiacs report that wheat grass does not cause a reaction because gluten has yet to develop when the wheat grass is cut to be juiced. I have little doubt this is a myth.

Has anybody ever tried it? A celiac would have to be a crazy daredevil to do so, I'd say!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Technically there is a point at which the protien is not fully developed. How you could specifically figure that out without testing each batch, not too sure, so you're pretty much guessing. Not really worth the risk.

Have some seaweed. Yum.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

I asked the same ?????? a while back I wouldn't chance it......

Wheat is wheat..... Everyone put the fear in me & I asked a doctor friend and he too said why chance it...

i've also read it was safe, but i wouldn't trust it.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

I reacted to it. A few years ago (before I heard anything about celiac) I used wheatgrass for a few days because I wanted to get healthy. I very nearly passed out. I was home alone with my 3-month-old and not quite 2yo, and my husband wouldn't have been home for hours. That was the only thing I had done differently at that point for weeks, so I knew for sure it was the wheatgrass.

I agree with Elonwy. There has to be a point where it's true that the gluten hasn't developed enough, but there's no way to know at this point.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

Technically there is a point at which the protien is not fully developed. How you could specifically figure that out without testing each batch, not too sure, so you're pretty much guessing. Not really worth the risk.

Have some seaweed. Yum.

Elonwy

Well equally important is that the wheat grass contains everything to make gluten.... its passing it up the stem so the basic ingredients are there being assembled and since its not the gluten but the gliadin causes the problem absense of gluten (s.s.) is not absense of gliadin and precursors.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Well I feel like the biggest twit in the world right now, I never thought about wheat grass having wheat in it, but its something that I've never had the desire to try.

Guest laydirain

I just had wheat grass last week. I got it at the juicer place. I did not have any reaction to it & the juicer guy said it had nothign to do with gluten.

here's some website info:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_grains.php does not recomend it as it says there is no research on it.

celiac.com has it on the forbidden list

http://www.Lame Advertisement/store/wheat.html says "There are no known side effects of wheat grass supplementation. Wheat grass does not contain gluten, and is suitable for use by persons with gluten and wheat allergies."

http://www.wheatgrass.com/faq/factsheets/w...esfactsheet.php

says "People who are allergic to wheat and wheat products are usually reacting to gluten, a sticky protein found in the grains of wheat, barley and rye. Wheat grass contains no gluten. In fact, the nutrient composition of wheat grass is quite different from that of any grain."

I was mysteriously glutened for a month or so not to long ago. The culprit, a vitamin that had wheat and barley grass but was still labeled gluten-free. I was also severely glutened with a reaction in minutes from a bottle of green tea that had wheat grass added to it. Myself I will NEVER touch it again and the experience with the vitamin has made me very careful about reading and calling on supplements. I am sure there are folks who don't react to it, just as I know that there are celiacs that can tolerate distilled gluten grains. I am not one of them. With silent celiac damage being an issue I strongly reccommend my celiac family avoid them also.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)