This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Salad Spinner

Lister

Lister Rising Star

is it 100% nessasary to own a salad spinner if your using fresh heads of lettece? i started to buy heads of romain instead of the prebagged stuff and i wash it under cold water, like let the water run and shake it under the water then eat it.. is this enough? or does it require i use a spinner?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Lister--

A salad spinner is not something that's necessary at all. I've been cooking for over 30 years, and have never owned one :D

Washing the lettuce under cold, running water is fine--if you want the leaves drier, put them in your collander for a while.

tiffjake Enthusiast
Lister--

A salad spinner is not something that's necessary at all. I've been cooking for over 30 years, and have never owned one :D

Washing the lettuce under cold, running water is fine--if you want the leaves drier, put them in your collander for a while.

yeah, someone told me to put my lettuce in a salad spinner to clean it. I was like "why? it just spins it around, right??" :lol:

jenvan Collaborator

No, you don't have to have one. I would just pat dry the leaves with a paper towel so they aren't wet. In support of the salad spinner though... :D I LOVE mine. I eat salad every day for lunch. Sunday night I fill my salad spinner with lettuce, my veggies etc, and just pull out a handful each morning for my lunch. It keeps my salad fresh till the end of the week :)

jerseyangel Proficient
No, you don't have to have one. I would just pat dry the leaves with a paper towel so they aren't wet. In support of the salad spinner though... :D I LOVE mine. I eat salad every day for lunch. Sunday night I fill my salad spinner with lettuce, my veggies etc, and just pull out a handful each morning for my lunch. It keeps my salad fresh till the end of the week :)

Jen--Do you wash, spin and then store your salad right in the salad spinner? I used bagged lettuce, but have been re-thinking that lately. I just hate wet lettuce :D

Your method sounds great!

TriticusToxicum Explorer
No, you don't have to have one. I would just pat dry the leaves with a paper towel so they aren't wet. In support of the salad spinner though... :D

...or you could do it another way... I kid you not, I saw this on Talk Soup the other night (nothing else on). It was a clip from Rachel Ray's new talk show. I guess she has a segment where viewers send in helpful how-to's or something. Anywho, the clip opens with this woman in front of her washing machine with a HUGE bowl of lettuce. She dumps it in the washer and says how it is a great time saver, just put it on spin for a couple of minutes, and you have enough salad for a whole BBQ...then the host of TS comes back on with his own bowl of lettuce - with a sock in it...that's what i was thinking! Now you have to wonder whether your washer is gluten-free... :P

jenvan Collaborator
Jen--Do you wash, spin and then store your salad right in the salad spinner? I used bagged lettuce, but have been re-thinking that lately. I just hate wet lettuce :D

Your method sounds great!

I do Patti. I wash the lettuce...spin off the water in the spinner and then pour the water out that collected in the bottom. Then I put in my lettuce, veggies etc. It is really a time saver for me during the week.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
...or you could do it another way... I kid you not, I saw this on Talk Soup the other night (nothing else on). It was a clip from Rachel Ray's new talk show. I guess she has a segment where viewers send in helpful how-to's or something. Anywho, the clip opens with this woman in front of her washing machine with a HUGE bowl of lettuce. She dumps it in the washer and says how it is a great time saver, just put it on spin for a couple of minutes, and you have enough salad for a whole BBQ...then the host of TS comes back on with his own bowl of lettuce - with a sock in it...that's what i was thinking! Now you have to wonder whether your washer is gluten-free... :P

I saw this, and thought it was disgusting! Washing machines have a lot of germs in them--and she didn't even put the greens in a bag or anything--gross :o

TriticusToxicum Explorer
I saw this, and thought it was disgusting! Washing machines have a lot of germs in them--and she didn't even put the greens in a bag or anything--gross :o

I bet nobody eats her salad anymore!

jerseyangel Proficient
I bet nobody eats her salad anymore!

Kind of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer makes all of his food in the shower--and even installs a garbage disposal in there!

TriticusToxicum Explorer

...on second thought, with this e. coli business, maybe she's on to something (or the cause of it all). You could throw in your spinach with a little Clorox, rinse, spin, and dine without fear. Maybe throw it in the dryer to steam it too?

jerseyangel Proficient
Maybe throw it in the dryer to steam it too?

Now that's funny :lol:

Archived